The Student Room Group

Maths Question Help

Two forces F1 and F2 are given by the vectors F1 = (-3i - 4j) N and F2 = (pi - 3pj) N. The resultant of the forces F1 and F2 , R acts in a direction which is parallel to the vector (3i - 4j).
(i) Show that p = 24/5
Reply 1
Original post by Nithu05
Two forces F1 and F2 are given by the vectors F1 = (-3i - 4j) N and F2 = (pi - 3pj) N. The resultant of the forces F1 and F2 , R acts in a direction which is parallel to the vector (3i - 4j).
(i) Show that p = 24/5

Bump
Do you know what a resultant is and what it means to be parallel to a vector?
Reply 3
Original post by ran-dumb

The resultant is the sum of all the forces and if it is parallel, I am assuming the resultant is a scalar multiple of 3i-4j. However, I don't know how to go about this exactly.
Reply 4
Original post by ran-dumb

Could you please show me. step by step, how you would solve it please?
Soln is correct.

Calculate the ij resultant and just use the simple ratio 3:-4
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Dont agree with the solution as
i: -3-24/5
and
j: -3-4
are not in the ratio 3:-4. Theyre both negative and the magnitudes are not 3:4. Can you upload a pic of the question again?

Calculate the ij resultant and just use the simple ratio 3:-4

So would you do:
-3+p/-4-3p=3/-4
Original post by Nithu05
So would you do:
-3+p/-4-3p=3/-4

Edit - missed the p on the denominator.
Yes, youd do that. Willl check the soln again.

Edit*2. Soln is correct. Missed the p in -3pj in F2.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Edit - missed the p on the denominator.
Yes, youd do that. Willl check the soln again.

Ok could you please explain why we’re doing this as our teacher just told us the method without explaining why. Do the ratios symbolise the scalar multiple?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Nithu05
Ok could you please explain why we’re doing this as our teacher just told us the method without explaining why. Do the ratios symbolise the scalar multiple?

You would have done ratios (fractions) in ~y4? Saying that it is parallel to 3i -4j means the i component and the j component are in the ratio 3:-4, so every 3 you go along the i axis, you go down 4, so -4.
It could be made to sound harder, but thats all there is to it. The magnitude is irrelevant (6i -8j or -3i + 4j or ...), only the ratio of the terms is important. Another way of looking at it is the gradient of the line (or the tangent of the angle) must be the same, but this still amounts to 3:-4 or -4/3 (as grad and tan are y/x).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
You would have done ratios (fractions) in ~y4? Saying that it is parallel to 3i -4j means the i component and the j component are in the ratio 3:-4, so every 3 you go along the i axis, you go down 4, so -4.
It could be made to sound harder, but thats all there is to it. The magnitude is irrelevant (6i -8j or -3i + 4j or ...), only the ratio of the terms is important. Another way of looking at it is the gradient of the line (or the tangent of the angle) must be the same, but this still amounts to 3:-4 or -4/3 (as grad and tan are y/x).

Thank you I understand now:smile: So it it basically this : -3+p:-4-3p=3:-4
Original post by Nithu05
Thank you I understand now:smile: So it it basically this : -3+p:-4-3p=3:-4

Yes, I edited the previous post to mention grads and tan, but they're just i:j component ratios/fractions as well so whatever way you look at it its simply equating two ratios.
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, I edited the previous post to mention grads and tan, but they're just i:j component ratios/fractions as well so whatever way you look at it its simply equating two ratios.

Thank you so much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest