The Student Room Group

Confused

I’m a year 12 student and my sixth form has started the ucas process however i have completely no idea what i want to do in uni i don’t even know if i want to go everytime someone says have a think off what you like my mind goes blank I’m really stressed out and not enjoying life at the moment everything is super overwhelming i spent the last couple days crying making myself unwell everytime I’ve thought about it i really have no idea of who and what i want to be life is just going fast and I can’t keep up with it, its like every one is set and they already know what they want to do which puts me under more pressure another reason I’m scared is because i have extreme social anxiety I’m so nervous it’s ridiculous and everyone has high expectations of me i mean i do want a good career and financial stability but right now my mental health is in a really bad place.
Original post by Anonymoususer726
I’m a year 12 student and my sixth form has started the ucas process however i have completely no idea what i want to do in uni i don’t even know if i want to go everytime someone says have a think off what you like my mind goes blank I’m really stressed out and not enjoying life at the moment everything is super overwhelming i spent the last couple days crying making myself unwell everytime I’ve thought about it i really have no idea of who and what i want to be life is just going fast and I can’t keep up with it, its like every one is set and they already know what they want to do which puts me under more pressure another reason I’m scared is because i have extreme social anxiety I’m so nervous it’s ridiculous and everyone has high expectations of me i mean i do want a good career and financial stability but right now my mental health is in a really bad place.

Year 13 student here, I've been in your position last year so I'd like to say I have some idea of what will help.
It is completely normal to feel like everything is going too quickly in your year, college and your future is important but you need to remember that your mental health has priority over all of those. Since you are in year 12 I'll assume that you have done your end of year exams already. The weather this week and next week is apparently going to be beautiful so I would just relax, go outside, have some ice cream or whatever you feel like doing. UCAS can be a stressful process and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but there is a lot of help online and your teachers will be more than happy to do the same.
Keep in mind that you have the whole of your summer holidays to decide what you want to do. Last year I didn't know my universities or wasn't even sure on what course I wanted to do so I took the holidays to explore what I liked to do and by the time year 13 started I had a decent idea. It also depends on what course you want to do at university, as some courses like medicine need an earlier application but standard courses don't require you to submit an application until January. Of course, that is considering you do choose to go to university in the first place. I didn't even start fillinf out my UCAS application until September, all I did in year 12 was make an account and leave it at that.
If you're already stressed and you try do think about your future you'll only put yourself under more stress and make it worse. Take some time off to clear your mind, even for like the first month of the holidays you can just do absolutely nothing and you'll be fine. Then start to think about what subjects you like, maybe talk to some career advisors (your sixth form will have one most likely) and overall try to get a picture of what field you'd like to go into. Even if nothing turns up, just take a gap year so you have more time to explore Just make sure you keep yourself as a number one priority.

Quick Reply

Latest