The Student Room Group

Dreading A Level Results Day

I’m dreading A Level results day because I think I did horribly in my exams (all apart from maybe two out of the eight I sat) and thinking about how I wanted to go to university and how my student finance is in place and how I probably won’t be able to are all thoughts that are having a negative affect on my mental health.
Especially since I’ve just finished year 13 and have already taken a gap year in the past so I can’t even afford to take another gap year as I’d need funding for that.
I honestly hope I somehow managed to do well, I was doing well in my assessments leading up to my exams but I’d often just crumble in the actual exam and struggle to phrase things correctly which is bad since I take essay-based a level subjects (English language, English literature and sociology).
So, I’m thinking of getting a part time job during the summer but I’ve never actually gotten one before so I lack work experience but everyone has to start somewhere lol.

My mental health is really quite bad at the moment because of this, and thinking about the future and how I have to look into clearing just in case because I’m not sure how it works, is really making me feel unwell.

I just need reassurance ig, idk.
Or maybe some of u guys have felt like your exams didn’t go so well?
Idk I just hope I’m not alone in feeling like this and I hope I haven’t completely destroyed my future because atm, it feels like I have
Look into the clearing process online now, so you know what you’ll need to do if things don’t go great. Take some notes. Also check out a few unis that you didn’t apply to who ask for lower grades (again look online). Keep a list of the ones you like.
Make sure you are at home for results day so you can organise things straight away. If you can arrange for someone to be with you to help that would be good (a parent or just someone calm and organised)

Then try and keep busy and distracted until results day. A holiday job is a great idea to keep busy and maybe get a few savings together for Uni.

No point worrying about things you don’t know will happen. There is always another option for you to get where you want if you keep looking. No one’s life ever goes to plan but it will all work out in the end.

Good luck!
Original post by GoldeNitrogen
I’m dreading A Level results day because I think I did horribly in my exams (all apart from maybe two out of the eight I sat) and thinking about how I wanted to go to university and how my student finance is in place and how I probably won’t be able to are all thoughts that are having a negative affect on my mental health.
Especially since I’ve just finished year 13 and have already taken a gap year in the past so I can’t even afford to take another gap year as I’d need funding for that.
I honestly hope I somehow managed to do well, I was doing well in my assessments leading up to my exams but I’d often just crumble in the actual exam and struggle to phrase things correctly which is bad since I take essay-based a level subjects (English language, English literature and sociology).
So, I’m thinking of getting a part time job during the summer but I’ve never actually gotten one before so I lack work experience but everyone has to start somewhere lol.

My mental health is really quite bad at the moment because of this, and thinking about the future and how I have to look into clearing just in case because I’m not sure how it works, is really making me feel unwell.

I just need reassurance ig, idk.
Or maybe some of u guys have felt like your exams didn’t go so well?
Idk I just hope I’m not alone in feeling like this and I hope I haven’t completely destroyed my future because atm, it feels like I have

That sounds really difficult and it can be hard when you think that exams have not gone well. However, you won't know how well they have gone until you receive your results - you might actually surprise yourself.

Importantly, your results do not define you. You can still be successful even if you don't achieve what you set out to achieve. Hope you found a summer job and are able to gain some experience to help with your next steps.

- Grace (Student Minds)
Thank you so much for such a helpful response!Luckily, I didn't need to put any plan B into action because I managed to get into my firm choice (The University of York)!! You really can be your own worst critic, because I hadn't done as badly as I'd thought I'd done. Results Day was lovely and went incredibly smoothly to my surprise. I honestly need to have more faith in myself lol. Thanks again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest