The Student Room Group

GCSE - Resits (2022)

If I don't get a certain grade for something other than English and Maths, which will stop me from taking this subject for alevels, should I resit or look for an alternative?

To be specific, I usually average around a 7-7 in science however I did very badly in my physics paper 1 and I'm now unsure if I'll be able to get a 7-7. I'm looking to take 2 sciences at alevels, but if I don't, I can still take maths and 1 science for the career I want (but it would put me at a disadvantage). Do you reccomend resitting if I don't achieve a 7-7 or just do maths and 1 science?
Original post by Asentrix
If I don't get a certain grade for something other than English and Maths, which will stop me from taking this subject for alevels, should I resit or look for an alternative?

Why would your GCSE grade stop you taking the subject for A level? Does your school (or intended college) have a policy which mandates that you must achieve a particular grade at GCSE to be allowed to continue that subject at A level?

Your post implies that you need a 7-7 in double science to be allowed to take two sciences at A level, but you are allowed to take one science (and Maths) if you get less than 7-7. Is that right? Is that formal school/college policy, or is that just what you've heard?

If you "usually average around a 7-7 in science", and you're attending the Sixth Form attached to your school, then maybe they'll be flexible?

I'm looking to take 2 sciences at alevels, but if I don't, I can still take maths and 1 science for the career I want (but it would put me at a disadvantage). Do you reccomend resitting if I don't achieve a 7-7 or just do maths and 1 science?

Personally, I'd try to persuade the school to let me take the two sciences. If that didn't work, I'd just stick with Maths and one science, rather than resit next summer.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Why would your GCSE grade stop you taking the subject for A level?

Your post implies that you need a 7-7 in double science to be allowed to take two sciences at A level, but you are allowed to take one science (and Maths) if you get less than 7-7. Is that right?

To take the subject at alevel, you need gcse minimum grades so yes you are right with your question but I don't think it's a school policy, I thought every school requires a minimum gcse grade

If you get 6-6, you are allowed to take one science yes but if you get lower you cannot take any sciences. However you can still take maths no matter the grade for science.

I'm going to definitely try persuade them if my mark is near a 7-7.

However I'd need to resit anyway as the unis I wish to go to require science at 7-7 for gcse as a minimum, so do you think it's better to resit in y12 summer or wait to take a gap year after y13 and resit then?
Talk to your college, they might let you take alevels whilst you resit your GCSEs. You can always resit in November rather than in June
To take the subject at alevel, you need gcse minimum grades so yes you are right with your question but I don't think it's a school policy, I thought every school requires a minimum gcse grade

If you get 6-6, you are allowed to take one science yes but if you get lower you cannot take any sciences. However you can still take maths no matter the grade for science.

Nope. There is no national, or exam board-defined policy. Each school gets to make its own rules.

For example, if you look at the Edexcel Physics A level spec, here, it says (my emphasis):

There are no prior learning or other requirements for this qualification.

I'm going to definitely try persuade them if my mark is near a 7-7.

However I'd need to resit anyway as the unis I wish to go to require science at 7-7 for gcse as a minimum, so do you think it's better to resit in y12 summer or wait to take a gap year after y13 and resit then?

Personally, I'd wait. It may be that you want to resit an A level too, in which case you can do both in the same year, rather than having a resit year after GCSEs and another resit year after A levels.
Original post by Cloudster
Talk to your college, they might let you take alevels whilst you resit your GCSEs. You can always resit in November rather than in June

Resiting a GCSE (or two) during the first year of A levels would work, but note that only Maths and English have a November resit option. For all other subjects (including science) resits would need to wait until next year.

Quick Reply

Latest