The Student Room Group

Converting Scots Law to English Law

Would i have to go for the GDL or is there a possibility that i could be exempt from certain examinations where points of each Law joins?
I am really confused about it all.

P.S I haven't actually started the LLB ,University of Edinburgh is one of my choices and i need to get my head straight :smile:
Reply 1
You have to do the GDL. Scots Law is based in Roman law so there are no exemptions. If you want to study in Scotland to become an English lawyer, Dundee has an English LLB and it is apparently a top 10 school.
Reply 2
Scots law is only partly based on Roman law, but nethertheless FMQ is right, you will need to convert your degree if you wish to practice in England. Depending on the course you may be exempt from parts of the GDL though. Even if your not, i don't know if this only applies to the top firms but some will pay your GDL course fees and give you a maintenance grant if you secure a training contract with them.
Reply 3
I know someone who read law at Edinburgh and he only has to do the GDL part time as there are only certain courses he has to sit.
I heard that Scots Law Graduates can do the GDL/CPE in about 3 weeks.
Reply 5
There are no jobs in Scotland so I'm thinking of converting (ignorance as to the situation in England is bliss as they say). I've got an LLB, (currently doing the Scots equivalent of the LPC - which I massively regret), and I'm thinking of starting it next September. How do I go about it? Can I do it part time in a year considering I have completed most of the core subjects? How much does it cost?

And most importantly, how will English recruiters see someone that has a Scots law degree?

Thanks for any help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending