The Student Room Group

May be unable to complete MA?!

I started my part time MA in October 2020. I chose my modules August 2020 for the academic year 2020/2021, then modules for academic year 21/22 in August 2021. There was a back and forth between myself and admin (who I was told to contact for choosing modules), and she informed me which modules I could chose for the second year.
Fast forward to August 2022, still
writing my dissertation due September, I receive an email saying I have not completed a core module and will need to undertake it in the Autumn or Spring term (academic year 2022/23).
I don’t understand how this has been missed until now. I’m due to start a new job in September and is full time so I won’t be able to attend in person, but have told uni I’m happy to distance learn (like I did in all of the first year). They are unhappy with this, and are unsure whether they can offer me this.

My question is, do I have a leg to stand on for compensation? If I cannot complete a core module I ‘fail’ the entire thing, and will be in 11k debt all due to an administrative error.
Thanks in advance!
Slight alarm bells ringing here as when you choose optional modules, the process wouldn't normally include reference to any core modules (unless there was a choice built into them).
However, you should have had a document setting out the compulsory requirements for the course. Can you track back to correspondence from when you started the course to see if the core module was mentioned? If it wasn't made clear that you were required to take it, then you might have grounds for an appeal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending