The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

University choices

I plan on going to uni next September, but I'm struggling. I want to make sure that I'm picking the right course. My childhood dream was to be a fashion designer. I know it's nearly impossible to earn a degree and then get a job. Recently, I feel like I'm reconnecting with this dream; I'm pretty much-sketching designs daily but I also spend the other half creating mock marketing projects .
I'm still learning how to sew, and I need to know how to use CAD or Adobe I was planning . I have a UAL level 3 and an art and design btec design

Adult me feels like I should get a marketing and management degree as it can still be creative and not have to worry about being unable to find a job or a graduate scheme . I feel like it would be exciting and more stable. I know I need to improve my copyright skills .

I know realistically, the chances of me being able to sew and learn how to design clothes by January and create a portfolio digitally will be nearly impossible. Plus I would like to go to a half decent uni if I were to pursue a fashion degree.

Both marketing and fashion jobs want a degree plus a bit of experience.

I don't wanna keep wasting time. Family members have told me to study something I'm passionate about but I were to go in a creative direction I should work in education but I know from experience I hate working in education.

I've only found 2 degrees with combine both fashion design and marketing however they're so far away and it would be a struggle to even get there plus I need to think about my partners job, even though they have a driving job they need to be within an hour to 2 hour distance at most from london so anywhere past Norwich would be too far.

I feel too old to pursue a fashion degree otherwise I feel I would do fashion design. When I have brought it up to family they have said that its a waste of time but a fine art degree would be much better which I don't agree with.

Although I have spoke to my partner about it, they have said it's down to me but it's probably a good idea that I get a degree where I don't have to work in retail after. That marketing degree is good , it can lead to different roles that pay well and may be more office based which they feel like I would suit but they fully support me if I feel like I wanna go on and do a fashion degree as a ba or a ma they just don't want me be stuck with a degree I can't use to progress and neither do I

I know I can do a fashion ma and my work would be better I known the courses may be more limited and it's fast pace and uni is going to expect a lot more from me. The chances of getting on an ma without a fashion ba and being able to have a job that suits around uni hours scares me.

I don't know anyone that's done a fashion degree or down a none arts degree to do an arts degree then so I can't really gain advice

If anyone can help or advise me it would mean a lot.

@universityofBrighton
@universityofsouthampton
@ual @uea

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending