The Student Room Group

book recommendations

what books does anyone recommend i read before staring a level english lit. i want to get a feel of how hard the texts i’ll be studying will be
The best preparation you could do is read some of the texts that you will study in Year 12. There is really no point in reading random books in an effort to try and prepare. If you have not already been told what texts you will study, check on the school's website or send them an email.
Original post by michaela1600
what books does anyone recommend i read before staring a level english lit. i want to get a feel of how hard the texts i’ll be studying will be

I just finished A level English lit this year. Definitely try to read some of the texts you'll be studying. If you still have some time after that, I'd recommend looking at other works by the authors you're studying, or other works on other A level syllabuses. Also, if you're wanting to apply to English Literature at university or just get a better understanding of the subject, writers like Margaret Atwood, Virginia Woolf, and Edward Said (feminist and post-colonial writers) look good on an application. I would also read a bit around the texts you're studying (knowing context will get you very far with A level lit) and see if there are works related to it. Eg if you're studying Jane Eyre, read Wide Sargasso Sea.

Quick Reply

Latest