The Student Room Group

Official: University of Leicester A100 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holder thread

Welcome to the University of Leicester A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

Leicester A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6990220

For general information click: https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/mbchb

For entry requirements click: https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/mbch.../academic-2021

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi. I was wondering if Leicester may still have a low interview: offer ratio this year?
Reply 2
what would the cut-off score likely be this year?
Hi, I'm about to start 1st year at Leicester, if anyone has any questions feel free to dm or at me in this thread . I'm guessing most of your questions will be about admissions this early on in the process, which is still pretty fresh in my mind so you might as well take advantage
Original post by shaza_xox
Hi. I was wondering if Leicester may still have a low interview: offer ratio this year?

Your years' inflated GCSE grades probably will not mean more interviews, Leicester use GCSEs as a main factor in their scoring for interview but lower numbers of achieved applicants should help. You guys having normal a levels should mean that even if numbers of interviews given out do rise, Leicester may be comfortable giving out a few more offers as more people with offers will miss out on places BUT also balance that with potential rises in applicant numbers in general. Also, be careful when looking at med school admission statistics because they can sometimes be misleading (intentional or not), *Im looking at you manchester*. Leicester are very up front and detailed which is good but I remember looking at fois from other unis when trying to find interview offer ratios and realising they didn't add up. Just take everything with a bit of skepticism because med schools WANT you to apply, they are trying not to scare you off.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Helloboyoyo
I've had a quick read through 2023 entry and it seems to be the same scoring process as for 2022 entry, apart from the reapplicant ucat cutoff. If you are a home non grad then I'd be aiming for 58.5 or above to be safe but it is possible that cutoffs could be slightly lower this year as grade inflation should be eliminated, but there's no point in me predicting

You should know what a pedant I am, but this is the main year that GCSE grade inflation will hit (it was 2021 TAGs that were most affected), so med schools that use GCSEs to shortlist are likely to see a rise in cut offs, as there are just more 8s and 9s about. Whether that is offest by the tightening up of achieved applicant criteria at Leicester, or interviewing more people (do not think they will do that, as interviewed more than usual last year, due to underestimating the achived applicant numbers) remains to be seen :smile:
Good luck with med school, hope you have a ball
Original post by GANFYD
You should know what a pedant I am, but this is the main year that GCSE grade inflation will hit (it was 2021 TAGs that were most affected), so med schools that use GCSEs to shortlist are likely to see a rise in cut offs, as there are just more 8s and 9s about. Whether that is offest by the tightening up of achieved applicant criteria at Leicester, or interviewing more people (do not think they will do that, as interviewed more than usual last year, due to underestimating the achived applicant numbers) remains to be seen :smile:
Good luck with med school, hope you have a ball

Oh wow Id completely forgotten about GCSEs being affected by covid for this year of applicants, time flies lol. I'll remove my last post to avoid confusion
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Oh wow Id completely forgotten about GCSEs being affected by covid for this year of applicants, time flies lol. I'll remove my last post to avoid confusion

Noooo! Stay, just amend that bit. It is great when people try to give back, so don't be put off!
Reply 8
hi, what was the cutoff score for 2022 entry for non contextual applicants?
Original post by Jnmenan

https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/mbchb/scoring
Hi, I'm about to start 1st year at Leicester, if anyone has any questions feel free to dm or at me in this thread . I'm guessing most of your questions will be about admissions this early on in the process, which is still pretty fresh in my mind so you might as well take advantage

I need help and guidance of feasibility of getting success at Leicester with following:-

GCSE - All 9s
A Level (Bio, Chem, Maths) - Predicted All A*
UCAT - 2600 , SJT-Band1
Virtual Work Experience - BSMS
Physical Work Experience - Kings Hospital, London
Volunteering - Kings Hospital, London

Appreciate suggestion on this.
Original post by RS-2021
I need help and guidance of feasibility of getting success at Leicester with following:-

GCSE - All 9s
UCAT - 2600 , SJT-Band1

Hello, I am no expert I am afraid, but I think a good place to start would be with the scoring document linked to a couple of posts below - and then compare it to the statistics link that Ganfyd provided below. You will need to make your own judgements as to whether or not you have a reasonable chance of an interview. You need an interview to get an offer, so only apply somewhere that you think you have a chance of an interview. Success is a whole other matter as that will be dependant on how you do at interview. Good luck.
According to their 2023 application scoring I'm at 59/64 (GCSEs and UCAT) is that good enough for a chance of interview right now?

Edit : Compared to 2022 I'm barely in and 2021 and the years before I'm a bit better. Is it worth the gamble that it will decrease or should I assume it will increase I guess is my new question.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MiriGyu
According to their 2023 application scoring I'm at 59/64 (GCSEs and UCAT) is that good enough for a chance of interview right now?

Edit : Compared to 2022 I'm barely in and 2021 and the years before I'm a bit better. Is it worth the gamble that it will decrease or should I assume it will increase I guess is my new question.

Have you read the thread for people’s thoughts?
Reply 16
Your years' inflated GCSE grades probably will not mean more interviews, Leicester use GCSEs as a main factor in their scoring for interview but lower numbers of achieved applicants should help. You guys having normal a levels should mean that even if numbers of interviews given out do rise, Leicester may be comfortable giving out a few more offers as more people with offers will miss out on places BUT also balance that with potential rises in applicant numbers in general. Also, be careful when looking at med school admission statistics because they can sometimes be misleading (intentional or not), *Im looking at you manchester*. Leicester are very up front and detailed which is good but I remember looking at fois from other unis when trying to find interview offer ratios and realising they didn't add up. Just take everything with a bit of skepticism because med schools WANT you to apply, they are trying not to scare you off.

what did manchester do i am thinking of applying should i not if there is something i dont know pls let me know ?
Original post by Dabz69
what did manchester do i am thinking of applying should i not if there is something i dont know pls let me know ?

Take a look at this page.

https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/data/

the 2020/21 column for home applicants, doesn't seem intentional but we'll see when they update the stats for the most recent intake.

Manchester probably aren't the worst for this but they're just one that I remember from when I was applying as they were one of my choices
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RS-2021

GCSE - All 9s
UCAT - 2600 , SJT-Band1

If you read the posts above you will see that there are loads of factors that could affect the applicant: interview and interview: offer ratios, so it isn't possible for anyone to tell you whether you are likely to get an interview this year, unlike pre COVID when things were relatively stable - the cutoff could be 59, it might not be. You can decide to take a sensible, calculated risk if you feel comfortable with it. Success and getting an interview are two different things, if Leicester follow the same interview procedure as last year (I am not sure if they will revert to in-person now that Covid isn't an issue) you may want to consider that qr was included in final decision making for offers as a virtual station.
(edited 1 year ago)
i think u should apply for 6 years course maybe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending