The Student Room Group

Official: University of Plymouth A100 2023 Entry

Welcome to the University of Plymouth A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

For general information click:
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery

For entry requirements click the link above

Offer Holder thread for Plymouth 2023

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,
Would really love to go Plymouth for medicine but UCAT 1420 band 2. I know historically they had a low cut off apart from last year - should I not even bother? GCSE 5A*, 1A, 2B's. A levels predicted A*A*A
Original post by Future2004
Hi guys,
Would really love to go Plymouth for medicine but UCAT 1420 band 2. I know historically they had a low cut off apart from last year - should I not even bother? GCSE 5A*, 1A, 2B's. A levels predicted A*A*A

Hi Future2004!

Thank you for your question! It sounds like you have some really amazing grades, so I wouldn't let your previous score on the UCAT put you off from applying, either to Plymouth or any other medical school (the only thing is you need to sit it in the year you apply so make sure your results are in date, and if you'd like to sit it again there's still time to book according to the UCAT website).

Last year a record number of people sat the UCAT which is why a lot of universities, including Plymouth, had a much higher threshold than previous years. Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict whether it will be higher or lower this application cycle, as it purely depends on how our applicants do in the UCAT, and how many people we feel it is fair to interview, given the number of places available on the course. The best advice I can give is that if you are really considering Plymouth, you should submit an application! Each year is so competitive with medical school admissions, as I'm sure you know, and that's partly because it can change each year. I'm afraid that means it's impossible to predict what might happen this year based on the thresholds in previous years.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can always contact the Medicine and Dentistry admissions team on [email protected] and they'll be happy to help! Otherwise you can talk to our Medicine and Dentistry students on Unibuddy (www.plymouth.ac.uk/unibuddy), as they will have all gone through the same process 😊

Good luck with your application!

-Charlie, University of Plymouth 🌻
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi Future2004!

Thank you for your question! It sounds like you have some really amazing grades, so I wouldn't let your previous score on the UCAT put you off from applying, either to Plymouth or any other medical school (the only thing is you need to sit it in the year you apply so make sure your results are in date, and if you'd like to sit it again there's still time to book according to the UCAT website).

Last year a record number of people sat the UCAT which is why a lot of universities, including Plymouth, had a much higher threshold than previous years. Unfortunately, it's impossible to predict whether it will be higher or lower this application cycle, as it purely depends on how our applicants do in the UCAT, and how many people we feel it is fair to interview, given the number of places available on the course. The best advice I can give is that if you are really considering Plymouth, you should submit an application! Each year is so competitive with medical school admissions, as I'm sure you know, and that's partly because it can change each year. I'm afraid that means it's impossible to predict what might happen this year based on the thresholds in previous years.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can always contact the Medicine and Dentistry admissions team on [email protected] and they'll be happy to help! Otherwise you can talk to our Medicine and Dentistry students on Unibuddy (www.plymouth.ac.uk/unibuddy), as they will have all gone through the same process 😊

Good luck with your application!

-Charlie, University of Plymouth 🌻

Dear Charlie,

Thank you so much for your reply. UCAT score from this year - I did a few days ago and feel like I have really let myself down with it (had about 2 weeks to prepare so that must have contributed to the lower than desired score). My worry is , medical students only have 4 choices, so I am trying to apply strategically as well as keeping it close to my heart, for example I have always wanted to go to Plymouth even before I took my UCAT, I love everything about the teaching style and campus and everything I have heard from students who go there - it all sounds great. So not sure if my lower UCAT will be an automatic rejection given a high cut off last year or should I just not apply there - if that makes sense. Confused, worried and panicking :smile: Thank you so much for taking time to reply to me though x
Hi Guys ,
I have a good GCSE but a lower UCAT - reducing my choices .

As the observation Year, 2021/2022 had a higher UCAT cutoff (during COVID) but earlier years had lower.

Medical: Course A100

GCSE's Maths/Physics/Chemistry/Biology/RS - 9
English/Spanish/History - 8

Predicted A level: A*AA [ Bio,Chem, Maths]

UCAT 2520 (Avg 630) SJT Band 1.

What are my chances for an interview offer for Plymouth/Exeter/Liverpool/Birmingham/East Anglia?

Thanks and Regards
(edited 1 year ago)
Im also looking to apply, what's the likelihood of at least getting an interview?

UCAT 2650 B1
NI Candidate
Achieved GCSE 10 A* (Chem, Bio, Physics, Math, English Lit, English Lang, French, RE, History, ICT) A - Further Maths
Achieved AS Levels-4 A (Chem, Bio, Physics, Math)
Predicted A Levels- 4 A* (Chem, Bio. Physics, Math)
I think AAA should be fine. I’m applying with AAA achieved as well. I think they want A*AA predicted or something to reduce the number of applications but they’re offer requirements are AAA
Reply 7
Original post by sj8
I think AAA should be fine. I’m applying with AAA achieved as well. I think they want A*AA predicted or something to reduce the number of applications but they’re offer requirements are AAA

According to their website, their offer requirements are A*AA - AAA. The convention is that the lower offer is contextual
Now, I suspect they will use AAA, but it is certainly not guaranteed
Hi are there any current Plymouth med students reading this? If so, any thoughts on article below - its from 2020; any differences or changes to be aware of please ?

This is from the lifeofamedic blog - great series.

https://lifeofamedic.com/2020/08/24/whats-it-really-like-to-study-medicine-at-plymouth-medical-school/
AAB is contextual. It's on their website. I believe the reason they have A*AA on the website is to warn applicants that AAA might not be used if they have lots of applications. Last year the offer was AAA so I do think it will stay the same but hard to say
Hi just wondering if I should reapply to Plymouth last year with the UCAT cutoff potentially increasing. I got 2860 Band 1 and have achieved A*AB in Biology, Chemistry and Spanish respectively. I'm finishing off Maths this year to bring my grades up to entry requirements and I am predicted an A* in it.
I got an interview last year with 2720 Band 2 and am still on their reserve list for 2022 entry until the end of this month.
Reply 11
Does anyone know if the requirement at A levels will be A*AA or AAA ?
(I understand the requirement for predicted grades, but will the offers be subject to achieving A*AA)

Thanks.
Hey I'd like to know last year interview to offer ratio
Reply 13
I am on my first gap year and I want to apply to Plymouth but I didn't last year. Do Plymouth have a requirement that gap year students need to apply to them once before? I know QUB have this requirement which is why I want to check
Original post by kemis
I am on my first gap year and I want to apply to Plymouth but I didn't last year. Do Plymouth have a requirement that gap year students need to apply to them once before? I know QUB have this requirement which is why I want to check

If you cannot find information on it on the website (which isn’t the clearest tbh - or the most up to date) I would email them to be certain.
hey im also having the same problem so could you let me know what they say when you email them
Original post by kemis
Hi, I have achieved 3 A*s in Bio, Chem, and Maths, and 10 9s at GCSE. My UCAT was only 2600 B2 despite getting 3000-3300 consistently in my practice, and I got 2910 B2 last year so Idk how I've done worse :/. Do my chances look good for Plymouth?
Reply 17
Does anyone know if the interviews will be in person or still online this year ?
Hi
Would it be worth applying with 2780 band 2 also does anyone know what the interview offer rate was for last year?
Original post by jsingh1029
Hi
Would it be worth applying with 2780 band 2 also does anyone know what the interview offer rate was for last year?

Cut off last year was 2610 so you're pretty much guaranteed an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending