The Student Room Group

Bristol law

Do you think I have a good shot at Bristol University for law?
Predicted A*AB
EPQ-grades not given yet
Work experience- Kirkland and Ellis law firm
GCSES 8777777665

If not is there any other universities that are good that you would recommend applying too with these grades as I have not got the slightest clue and will be applying soon
Original post by myleene_asibey
Predicted A*AB
EPQ-grades not given yet
GCSES 8777777665

If not is there any other universities that are good that you would recommend applying too with these grades as I have not got the slightest clue and will be applying soon

The minimum entry requirements for Bristol are A*AA or A*A*B unless you are eligible for a contextual offer.

I can’t say specifically for Bristol but the Unis I have visited have all told me that to be considered for an offer, you must have the minimum predicted grades for your application. I’d imagine Bristol would be the same given it’s a top 10, well regarded law school.

It’s a bit concerning that you’re applying soon & don’t really know about other law courses. No one can tell you where to apply but I’d say as a start, look at the UniGuide rankings, see which Unis appeal & then go to their websites for the entry requirements.

Most higher ranked Unis want A*AA or some are AAA, but there are others with less. You need to do some research. Your GCSEs are fine.

NB: You need to sit the LNAT, the National law test, for Bristol too.
Original post by BarryScott2022
The minimum entry requirements for Bristol are A*AA or A*A*B unless you are eligible for a contextual offer.

I can’t say specifically for Bristol but the Unis I have visited have all told me that to be considered for an offer, you must have the minimum predicted grades for your application. I’d imagine Bristol would be the same given it’s a top 10, well regarded law school.

It’s a bit concerning that you’re applying soon & don’t really know about other law courses. No one can tell you where to apply but I’d say as a start, look at the UniGuide rankings, see which Unis appeal & then go to their websites for the entry requirements.

Most higher ranked Unis want A*AA or some are AAA, but there are others with less. You need to do some research. Your GCSEs are fine.

NB: You need to sit the LNAT, the National law test, for Bristol too.

Hi thank you for the help therefore I assume there’s not much point in applying but I am eligible for the contextual offer for schools on the list of state schools however I am not sure how far that will get me.
I have booked my LNAT it will be sat mid November.

And sorry for the confusion I am sure of the universities I will be applying to but I have not got a clue on weather my options are too aspirational with predicted grades of A*AB. Especially since it is difficult to find universities that will accept less than AAA. I just don’t want to get my hopes up and waste an application.
Current considerations:
Nottingham AAA
York AAA
Warwick AAA
Bristol AAB (contextual offer)
Kent ABB
Royal Holloway ABB
Hi thank you for the help therefore I assume there’s not much point in applying but I am eligible for the contextual offer for schools on the list of state schools however I am not sure how far that will get me.
I have booked my LNAT it will be sat mid November.

And sorry for the confusion I am sure of the universities I will be applying to but I have not got a clue on weather my options are too aspirational with predicted grades of A*AB. Especially since it is difficult to find universities that will accept less than AAA. I just don’t want to get my hopes up and waste an application.
Current considerations:
Nottingham AAA
York AAA
Warwick AAA
Bristol AAB (contextual offer)
Kent ABB
Royal Holloway ABB

So, if you are eligible for contextual offers then you stand a chance.

Some will accept the points equivalent - so A*AB will be the same points as AAA. I know York used to do this but has stopped for 2023 due to limited places
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BarryScott2022
So, if you are eligible for contextual offers then you stand a chance, although I’m fairly sure many of the Unis still say you need to have the minimum ‘standard’ predicted grades to be eligible for a reduced offer. But they may be more lenient.

Some will accept the points equivalent - so A*AB will be the same points as AAA. I know York used to do this but has stopped for 2023 due to limited places & high applicant numbers. I’m not aware of others so you’d need to check their sites, they will say.

You can only just apply & see. You’ve got a couple of fallbacks there which is a good idea.

Is there no opportunity to raise your B? Could you talk to your teachers and see if you could work to try & raise it?

thank you so much I will check the university sites now.

And the B is in history in yr12 Mocks I got AAC(English,econ,history) and have spoken to him numerous times but he is set on the B which I think is fair given in class tests I always get Bs.
Therefore I will look into more universities with lower entry requirments
thank you so much I will check the university sites now.

And the B is in history in yr12 Mocks I got AAC(English,econ,history) and have spoken to him numerous times but he is set on the B which I think is fair given in class tests I always get Bs.
Therefore I will look into more universities with lower entry requirments

I’m no expert, just going off my research & open days speaking to staff. But as I said earlier I’ve no experience of Bristol. I’ve just checked their website & it doesn’t state that you HAVE to have the minimum entry requirements to be eligible for a contextual offer, so you might be OK. Every University does things differently & that’s why it’s important to read their entry requirements & contextual offer terms carefully.

Good luck!
Good advice above.

Do try Bristol and Warwick as you might get a contextual offer anyway. 3 of my lawyer children went to Bristol, but their first degrees were not law (they converted after as do half of all lawyers even under (for solicitors) the new SQE system (although that can make it a bit more expensive if you aren't sponsored for post grad by a law firm). Don't assume you have to have an LLB by the way if you want to be a lawyer but you will need good A level grades). Another of my lawyer children (again not doing an LLB) went to Nottingham first for a BSc.

Then have others as your back up and go from there. If you do much better than predictions you could always take a gap year and reapply with very good A level grades in hand too.

Good luck.
Predicted A*AB
EPQ-grades not given yet
GCSES 8777777665

Seeing as you qualify for a contextual offer, you only need to have predicted grades of AAB.

Therefore, it is definitely worth putting Bristol down on your UCAS form if you want to go there. The LNAT will also be important.
Predicted A*AB
EPQ-grades not given yet
GCSES 8777777665

How did you get work experience at kirklnd and ellis if you dont mind me asking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending