The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Kicked out first year warwick uni , need help on what to do next

I need advice on what to do after failing my first year at warwick university , doing a bachelors in physics.

i got A*A*AA ( further maths , physics, maths, comp sci ) at A level and always worked hard. but after moving into uni being confined in my room for covid regulations

for months i just stopped doing work , and as my grades slipped I found it harder to get back on track. this ended up in me failing my resits. Its completely my fault

My parents don't know about me failing or have any idea of my struggles but they are bound to find out by tomorrow when I was meant
to move in for next year.

In any case I need help on what i'm supposed to do now or any next steps I can take, i'm completely lost and hopeless as of now, probably the most depressed i've ever been.
so any advice would help.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hi JustforFirst,
Please do not worry, I'm sure every problem has a solution.
Also please don't be scared about talking to your parents, though they may be initially disappointed, they will definitely be there for you and help you. please talk to them about your struggles, they will understand.
Are you sure you won't be able to continue at Warwick? Your parents will be able to support in talking to the university about your options.
You've got excellent grades for A levels, The UCAS cycle for 2023 entry is now open so you may be able to re-apply for university.

I don't know much about the application process, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to point you in the right direction. But in the meantime, take heart, in the large scheme of things, this is just a minor hiccup!
Cheers1
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Justforfirst
I need advice on what to do after failing my first year at warwick university , doing a bachelors in physics.

i got A*A*AA ( further maths , physics, maths, comp sci ) at A level and always worked hard. but after moving into uni being confined in my room for covid regulations

for months i just stopped doing work , and as my grades slipped I found it harder to get back on track. this ended up in me failing my resits. Its completely my fault

My parents don't know about me failing or have any idea of my struggles but they are bound to find out by tomorrow when I was meant

In any case I need help on what i'm supposed to do now or any next steps I can take, i'm completely lost and hopeless as of now, probably the most depressed i've ever been.

Thanks

Thank you for accepting responsibility for your situation. In the entitled, bratty world of TSR, this is really quite rare.

Of course you will have to tell your parents - as you note, they're going to find out anyway. Onwards from that, what do you want to do? Do you want to reapply to university for 2023 entry? Any idea what course you'd want to do (if indeed you want to go back to uni?)

Thanks

Also, please don't make multiple threads asking the same question. One is plenty :smile:
I'd say to take a step back and to process what you truly want. Sure, you made errors but what if Physics isn't something you want to do? I'd argue if it was something you wanted, you wouldn't have allowed yourself to fall this deep. However, there can also be an argument that you may have underestimated what it means to study Physics and you aren't ready yet. That isn't for me to conclude, that's for you to decide.
Original post by Reality Check
Thank you for accepting responsibility for your situation. In the entitled, bratty world of TSR, this is really quite rare.

Of course you will have to tell your parents - as you note, they're going to find out anyway. Onwards from that, what do you want to do? Do you want to reapply to university for 2023 entry? Any idea what course you'd want to do (if indeed you want to go back to uni?)

I want to continue doing physics, and probably apply again to the same uni if its possible but I don't know if ill be accepted considering i've been kicked out once.
Also, please don't make multiple threads asking the same question. One is plenty :smile:

oh sorry , I want really sure how all this forum stuff worked, i thought posting in different places would mean different people saw the question. thanks for the help.
I want to continue doing physics, and probably apply again to the same uni if its possible but I don't know if ill be accepted considering i've been kicked out once.

That's not going to happen. If you've been withdrawn from a course due to academic failure, there is zero chance that you will be re-admitted to it. You will need to look at other universities, but realistically you may struggle with applying for physics elsewhere too. Are there any other courses you might be interested in?
oh sorry , I want really sure how all this forum stuff worked, i thought posting in different places would mean different people saw the question. thanks for the help.

No problem - it's not obvious for newcomers that the rule is one thread per topic in the correct forum :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi JustforFirst,
Please do not worry, I'm sure every problem has a solution.
Also please don't be scared about talking to your parents, though they may be initially disappointed, they will definitely be there for you and help you. please talk to them about your struggles, they will understand.
Are you sure you won't be able to continue at Warwick? Your parents will be able to support in talking to the university about your options.
You've got excellent grades for A levels, The UCAS cycle for 2023 entry is now open so you may be able to re-apply for university.

I don't know much about the application process, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to point you in the right direction. But in the meantime, take heart, in the large scheme of things, this is just a minor hiccup!
Cheers1

most likely I don't think ill be able to continue at warwick as normal I'm pretty sure failing resits means i'm kicked out of the course
That's not going to happen. If you've been withdrawn from a course due to academic failure, there is zero chance that you will be re-admitted to it. You will need to look at other universities, but realistically you may struggle with applying for physics elsewhere too. Are there any other courses you might be interested in?

maybe I might be interested in a uni a bit closer to home like reading in that case. If I couldn't study physics there maybe maths or computing
Original post by gtty123
I'd say to take a step back and to process what you truly want. Sure, you made errors but what if Physics isn't something you want to do? I'd argue if it was something you wanted, you wouldn't have allowed yourself to fall this deep. However, there can also be an argument that you may have underestimated what it means to study Physics and you aren't ready yet. That isn't for me to conclude, that's for you to decide.

thank you for the reply
maybe I might be interested in a uni a bit closer to home like reading in that case. If I couldn't study physics there maybe maths or computing

I would suggest that you contact Reading and some others pronto, explaining your situation and seeing what options would be feasible. This is the most positive thing you can do in the circumstances and, if you can show that you're making positive steps to move forward, your parents will feel much happier about things - and happier for you too.
I would suggest that you contact Reading and some others pronto, explaining your situation and seeing what options would be feasible. This is the most positive thing you can do in the circumstances and, if you can show that you're making positive steps to move forward, your parents will feel much happier about things - and happier for you too.

thanks a lot for all your help
thanks a lot for all your help

No problem. The other positive thing is that you should have enough student funding from SFE remaining to complete a degree elsewhere. You get one 'gift' year in addition to your standard funding for the length of your course - you've used up that gift year in this 'false start', so you've still got enough years remaining. Maybe something else to gently remind your parents of if necessary.
It might be worth considering seeking out some help with your mental health before jumping back in to higher education. Dropping down to an 'easier' university won't really help if your problem is that you're feeling so low that you can't do any academic work... you'll fail everywhere if you aren't doing the work.
Same spot my dude, you're not alone at all! The advice you've been given is already very solid (honestly, thank God for TSR). Looking at your A-Levels, however, I recommend that you actually give Computer Science a try. You already have an A in it and you seem like you have really strong numerical ability, which is a blessing. I think you'd enjoy it.
Original post by Joinedup
It might be worth considering seeking out some help with your mental health before jumping back in to higher education. Dropping down to an 'easier' university won't really help if your problem is that you're feeling so low that you can't do any academic work... you'll fail everywhere if you aren't doing the work.

i will probably do that as well, I feel like bettering my mental health will help the root of the problem. I feel like dropping down to an "easier" uni might help because its closer so i could travel there from home to help with my mental health. but also maybe after failing my first year a higher university wouldn't accept me.
Original post by Joinedup

PRSOM - a really important point that. :smile:
thank you for the reply

No worries.

Quick Reply

Latest