The Student Room Group

Business Computing IT or Computer Science

I am convinced to go into computing one way or another.
But I don't know if I am math smart enough to do computer science. STEM seems to be only for the A*A*A grade students or naturally smart people.
I am average at maths, with GCSES of 7 and 8 in maths and compsci (during covid so grades was inflated) and I currently to a Level 3 Btec in Games Design / Development.
I have some coding experience but not up to scratch but I want to get a degree in compsci and get a comfortable job in the end of it.
Is business computing and IT still respected? and offers same opportunities in software after?.
Thank you
Have you looked at Software Engineering courses delivered by universities?

Also, STEM isn't just for naturally smart people! I currently sit on my second year Level 3 BTEC in IT course, I am horrendous at Maths (GCSE 5) and my English was lower than expected (also a 5). Despite 'average' grades, I do well in the computing aspects and I am not even too good at programming which is an area I'm looking to improve. Computer Science isn't just about Maths, however, depending on some universities and the modules they deliver, they may be more Maths-based, than other universities.

I suggest you further research different IT/Computing degrees besides Comp Sci. The two universities I visited for Open Days, offered the first year of Computing Degrees as a taster into 3 different areas: Comp Sci, Software Engineering and Games Dev. It would help if you looked at universities which seem to offer these, as you are given an opportunity at the end of the first year, what you would like to pursue. These courses also hold a lot of transferrable skills, which you can take into many different careers by the end of it. :smile:
Original post by Kanarii
Have you looked at Software Engineering courses delivered by universities?

Also, STEM isn't just for naturally smart people! I currently sit on my second year Level 3 BTEC in IT course, I am horrendous at Maths (GCSE 5) and my English was lower than expected (also a 5). Despite 'average' grades, I do well in the computing aspects and I am not even too good at programming which is an area I'm looking to improve. Computer Science isn't just about Maths, however, depending on some universities and the modules they deliver, they may be more Maths-based, than other universities.

I suggest you further research different IT/Computing degrees besides Comp Sci. The two universities I visited for Open Days, offered the first year of Computing Degrees as a taster into 3 different areas: Comp Sci, Software Engineering and Games Dev. It would help if you looked at universities which seem to offer these, as you are given an opportunity at the end of the first year, what you would like to pursue. These courses also hold a lot of transferrable skills, which you can take into many different careers by the end of it. :smile:

What about business computing and it
I did level 3 in IT and currently doing Bsc CS and it’s hard and I heard it only gets harder. Is business computing and IT worth it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending