The Student Room Group

Gcse 11 , study group?

HI , I'm in year 11 and was wondering if anyone wanted to join a study group , my gcse subjects are the following:
math(higher)
science combined (higher)
English language
English literature
Psychology
French(foundation)
Geography
Religious studies
health and social care
Reply 1
i Would gladly join when my mocks end (next week)
Reply 2
cool , i just finished my mocks lol
i'd love to join! i do IGCSES though (only english language and literature), but i'm a fluent french speaker so i can help anyone struggling w that :smile: i also want to get familiar with maths, chemistry, and physics in english bc currently i almost exclusively study in french and i plan to go to uni in england
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ambrxxn1
HI , I'm in year 11 and was wondering if anyone wanted to join a study group , my gcse subjects are the following:
math(higher)
English language
English literature
Psychology
French(foundation)
Geography
Religious studies
health and social care

Heya!
Just to give you some recommendations to help you with preparations, if you are looking for free resources then do check out Study Mind for free science resources :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Just to give you some recommendations to help you with preparations, if you are looking for free resources then do check out Study Mind for free science resources :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

k, thank you
Reply 6
Original post by chance vibesn't
i'd love to join! i do IGCSES though (only english language and literature), but i'm a fluent french speaker so i can help anyone struggling w that :smile: i also want to get familiar with maths, chemistry, and physics in english bc currently i almost exclusively study in french and i plan to go to uni in england

hi ,
i want to become fluent in french ?
can you give me some advice and tips , and also how long would this usually take?
math(higher)
English language
English literature
Psychology
French(foundation)
Geography
Religious studies
health and social care

Which boards are each of the subjects?
hi ,
i want to become fluent in french ?
can you give me some advice and tips , and also how long would this usually take?

(sry im gonna ramble a lot here!!!)

honestly bestie the only fast way to learn french is to go to a francophone country. im sure ur aware its a rly complicated language, some of the "rules" are entirely arbitrary, the spelling is confusing, and the slang is daunting even from the perspective of a native speaker. ive seen french monolinguals and fully-biliguals cry over french. i'm not saying that to discourage you, just that its difficult and a lot of us struggle learning!

learning french is a lifelong experience for most people, but knowing it has tons of advantages! once you know 2 languages, learning a 3rd becomes surprisingly easy. and if you have good bases in french (or spanish since its also widely spoken) as well as english, it rly boosts your employability+student profile (esp if applying for a literary course) but you def know this alr so ill shut up 😭

anyway... this is just what worked for me. i know i learnt english through immersion, i joined a biligual school at age 5 (i knew like 4 english words at the time 💀), my parents made me watch tv in english only and would only buy me books in english. (still took me 4 years to become bilingual lmfao.)

obviously youre not gonna move to paris (everyone is horribly stressed and rude there anyway T-T) like i moved to london. i think to become biligual you should focus on getting familiar w the language in a "natural" way iykwim? not just learning vocabulary, but reading simple books, watching short videos with subtitles, (all with an online translator (or dictionary ig??? lmao) open ofc) and eventually working your way up to more complicated literature and videos meant for fluent speakers. speaking should come more easily once youre familiar with the sound of the language :> if ur struggling w the r sound imagine youre a growling dog or an airplane (im 6yo mentally jhfdjhdf sry)

writing is harder tbh 😭 its honestly smth u cant rly understand through anything but experience. reading in french is gonna be rly helpful!! but conjugation is complicated, the rules are wayyyy more rigid than english (although imo they make a lot more sense... english conjugation seems completely random) so youre gonna have to struggle like the rest of us native speakers did (and still do) to understand WTF IS GOING ON bc theres 30 ish tenses and theyre all entirely different OR just similar enough to be really confusing. you can revise a certain tense and then find interactive online tests to assess yourself! i did that a lot with spanish.

also, a short trip to france (or an exchange, if your school does those?) can rly consolidate your knowledge and make french a more natural thing for you!

so yhhh tldr is most of learning to be fluent in a language isnt textbook learning. reading and listening to the language is effective, teaches you natural speech/writing patterns, and can be fun! but some aspects of french (some spellings, all the conjugation) are just really inflexible and counter-intuitive and youre going to have to learn those n make them stick in your head REALLY WELL if you dont want to sound like a noob :b hope i helped!! again this is what helped for me, hopefully itll help for u too!! have a nice evening/nighttt
Reply 9
Hey!
I'd like to join too!
my subjects are:
english language aqa
english literature aqa
maths edexcel
further maths aqa
biology aqa
chemistry aqa
physics aqa
psychology aqa
history edexcel
spanish aqa
german aqa.
Reply 10
(sry im gonna ramble a lot here!!!)

honestly bestie the only fast way to learn french is to go to a francophone country. im sure ur aware its a rly complicated language, some of the "rules" are entirely arbitrary, the spelling is confusing, and the slang is daunting even from the perspective of a native speaker. ive seen french monolinguals and fully-biliguals cry over french. i'm not saying that to discourage you, just that its difficult and a lot of us struggle learning!

learning french is a lifelong experience for most people, but knowing it has tons of advantages! once you know 2 languages, learning a 3rd becomes surprisingly easy. and if you have good bases in french (or spanish since its also widely spoken) as well as english, it rly boosts your employability+student profile (esp if applying for a literary course) but you def know this alr so ill shut up 😭

anyway... this is just what worked for me. i know i learnt english through immersion, i joined a biligual school at age 5 (i knew like 4 english words at the time 💀), my parents made me watch tv in english only and would only buy me books in english. (still took me 4 years to become bilingual lmfao.)

obviously youre not gonna move to paris (everyone is horribly stressed and rude there anyway T-T) like i moved to london. i think to become biligual you should focus on getting familiar w the language in a "natural" way iykwim? not just learning vocabulary, but reading simple books, watching short videos with subtitles, (all with an online translator (or dictionary ig??? lmao) open ofc) and eventually working your way up to more complicated literature and videos meant for fluent speakers. speaking should come more easily once youre familiar with the sound of the language :> if ur struggling w the r sound imagine youre a growling dog or an airplane (im 6yo mentally jhfdjhdf sry)

writing is harder tbh 😭 its honestly smth u cant rly understand through anything but experience. reading in french is gonna be rly helpful!! but conjugation is complicated, the rules are wayyyy more rigid than english (although imo they make a lot more sense... english conjugation seems completely random) so youre gonna have to struggle like the rest of us native speakers did (and still do) to understand WTF IS GOING ON bc theres 30 ish tenses and theyre all entirely different OR just similar enough to be really confusing. you can revise a certain tense and then find interactive online tests to assess yourself! i did that a lot with spanish.

also, a short trip to france (or an exchange, if your school does those?) can rly consolidate your knowledge and make french a more natural thing for you!

so yhhh tldr is most of learning to be fluent in a language isnt textbook learning. reading and listening to the language is effective, teaches you natural speech/writing patterns, and can be fun! but some aspects of french (some spellings, all the conjugation) are just really inflexible and counter-intuitive and youre going to have to learn those n make them stick in your head REALLY WELL if you dont want to sound like a noob :b hope i helped!! again this is what helped for me, hopefully itll help for u too!! have a nice evening/nighttt

thanks , imma just giev up anyways lol , or maybe not idk.Im working at a grade 3 in french :frown:,
thanks , imma just giev up anyways lol , or maybe not idk.Im working at a grade 3 in french :frown:,

im gonna sound so cringe so sry in advance but the only way ur certain to fail is by not trying so id def say to give it a shot!! and if u ever need help on anything specific eg a specific grammatical rule or some slang or wtv dont hesitate to hmu!!
Reply 12
im gonna sound so cringe so sry in advance but the only way ur certain to fail is by not trying so id def say to give it a shot!! and if u ever need help on anything specific eg a specific grammatical rule or some slang or wtv dont hesitate to hmu!!

thank you
Reply 13
Original post by schoolisgood123
Which boards are each of the subjects?

all aqa except maths and science, which are edexcel
Reply 14
Original post by Heba.R
Hey!
I'd like to join too!
my subjects are:
english language aqa
english literature aqa
maths edexcel
further maths aqa
biology aqa
chemistry aqa
physics aqa
psychology aqa
history edexcel
spanish aqa
german aqa.

cool!
this is gonna sound rlly stupid - but how does a study group work ?

Quick Reply

Latest