The Student Room Group

18 in year 12

Last year I was so ill I got pulled out of school and I had to retake. Should be in year 13 but now I’m back at year 12 in a new college, about to turn 18 and feel rlly weird about it. Like a failure and I’m a year behind all my friends. Anyone else 18 in year 12?
I'm 21 and doing my set of A Level exams in the summer 2023. The faster you throw away that regret of not doing something xyz then the better your life will be, just make sure you focus well on these exams.
This society expects us to force our way through life way too quickly. These expectations of finishing school by 18, going straight into uni, and then finding a job or going into a post-grad directly afterwards to avoid being a failure are ridiculous. Life is supposed to be enjoyed. It's ok to take longer to finish school (especially when health issues prevent you from being able to go straight through it), it's ok to take longer to figure things out, it's ok to take gap years to work on yourself, it's ok to not follow society's timeline. Follow your own timeline and take however long you need to finish school. You are not a failure. You are strong and you've got this.
Original post by cupboardfrog
Last year I was so ill I got pulled out of school and I had to retake. Should be in year 13 but now I’m back at year 12 in a new college, about to turn 18 and feel rlly weird about it. Like a failure and I’m a year behind all my friends. Anyone else 18 in year 12?

i'm in year 13 now but i'm friends with multiple people in my year who were 18 last year (one of them turned 19 in july!). literally no-one cares; it is very common to take 3 years to do A-levels and there will likely be other people in your position :smile:
Original post by cupboardfrog

I messed up my GCSE in a big way solent 4 years at collage (left at 20 and went to uni) honestly I know it's hard right now but it only like what years seriously once you get to uni nobody will care you 1 year older so you'll graduate at 22 in stead of 21 it's no problem I was 2 years behind and turned 19 in what would be year 12.
Original post by kaorimiyazono
This society expects us to force our way through life way too quickly. These expectations of finishing school by 18, going straight into uni, and then finding a job or going into a post-grad directly afterwards to avoid being a failure are ridiculous. Life is supposed to be enjoyed. It's ok to take longer to finish school (especially when health issues prevent you from being able to go straight through it), it's ok to take longer to figure things out, it's ok to take gap years to work on yourself, it's ok to not follow society's timeline. Follow your own timeline and take however long you need to finish school. You are not a failure. You are strong and you've got this.

All well and good, and I agree to an extent.

But a society also cannot survive if we have sheds of people who for whatever reasons (some are good reasons, some not) taking ages to actually grow up and start paying for their own living expenses. Until then, someone else often has to pay for that.

Unfortunately, if you're on someone else's payroll (parents or state funding)... you should expect certain terms & conditions to be attached to that. Or you can go live in the woods, or go on a GAP year and earn money abroad. There are valid options.
Original post by NonIndigenous
All well and good, and I agree to an extent.

But a society also cannot survive if we have sheds of people who for whatever reasons (some are good reasons, some not) taking ages to actually grow up and start paying for their own living expenses. Until then, someone else often has to pay for that.

Unfortunately, if you're on someone else's payroll (parents or state funding)... you should expect certain terms & conditions to be attached to that. Or you can go live in the woods, or go on a GAP year and earn money abroad. There are valid options.

Late reply but society can't give everyone a job, let alone a job they want either. I definitely understand what you are saying but society can change to accommodate this rather easily.
Original post by blabla2020202
Late reply but society can't give everyone a job, let alone a job they want either. I definitely understand what you are saying but society can change to accommodate this rather easily.

I'm not sure how it can change rather 'easily'. Most of these things aren't easy to achieve at all at a country-wide scale.

There already are lots of jobs, which many people argue effectively fulfill absolutely no useful purpose. We call these 'bullsh*t jobs'. Even with perfectly respectable jobs, you will every now and then come across a responsibility or task at work... that absolutely futile and pointless. Thus it seems like we already are creating unnecessary work for people... and I'm not entirely sure why ultimately, other than for the sake of keeping people busy. It keeps fewer people unemployed - and even though that's not necessarily the government/economic policy as it's not like have lots of spare money to waste either, I think that is effectively the motive & fear most people have at the end of the day.

My best & favorite case study of this is always Network Rail. I know from experience of working with them how diabolically inefficient and bureaucratic they can be. Our rail tickets are on average twice as expensive as any other country in Europe. The train operators (such as Virgin trains) aren't making 'lots of money' off this, in fact they usually make a loss. The money all effectively goes back to Network Rail, who also are subsidised by the government, employ about 40 000 people, and have a supply chain of several hundred thousand more people. Why can't we do all of this for half the price? Likely because half those people would end up unemployed... which I think will eventually happen because the system is starting to crack. Something will give, either the NHS, rail, housing, or something else, or a combination of those things.

So, my point is... I don't think it is 'easy'.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by NonIndigenous
I'm not sure how it can change rather 'easily'. Most of these things aren't easy to achieve at all at a country-wide scale.

There already are lots of jobs, which many people argue effectively fulfill absolutely no useful purpose. We call these 'bullsh*t jobs'. Even if perfectly respectable jobs, you will every now and then come across a responsibility or task at work... that absolutely futile and pointless. Thus it seems like we already are creating unnecessary work for people... and I'm not entirely sure why ultimately, other than that it keeps fewer people unemployed (even though that's not necessarily the government/economic policy, as it's not like have lots of spare money to waste either).

So, my point is... I don't think it is 'easy'.

Yeah I guess its not easy, idk why I said that. But you can't really change society easily at all (in a democracy that is). If say it were commonplace for most people to go to uni at 22 instead of 18, I seriously doubt society wouldn't cope somehow as im sure you'd agree.

I personally believe there should be a sort of system in place so that young people don't fall through the gaps as they become young adults. America does this better - in college you don't have to declare your major whereas in the UK you have to know what you want to do before you even apply. I'd even say the fact that they put some weight on extracurriculars is good, though its not perfect by any means. Even if people take time to "grow up" they can still contribute by getting a blue collar job for example which is really in demand. The UK has seasonal migrants to pick fruit!

Even at uni, most people dont use what they learn (if its not vocational) but the skills learned, self-development and networking are priceless. I'd rather people delay going to uni for good reason (which I believe it almost always is, otherwise why would they apply?), then go and make a mess of it.

Like you say, there are many BS jobs out there that serve just to keep people employed. Imagine AI got to the point it could just wipe all these jobs out, let alone the ones that aren't BS jobs but could still be replaced. People seek validation / fulfilment from their jobs / career. So I get that society shames those who don't take part. I'm personally a lot more worried about people being jobless and unfulfilled with the advent of AI than lost 18 year olds. It's already hard for graduates to find jobs now whereas in the last many decades it was much easier.
Original post by blabla2020202
Yeah I guess its not easy, idk why I said that. But you can't really change society easily at all (in a democracy that is). If say it were commonplace for most people to go to uni at 22 instead of 18, I seriously doubt society wouldn't cope somehow as im sure you'd agree.

I personally believe there should be a sort of system in place so that young people don't fall through the gaps as they become young adults. America does this better - in college you don't have to declare your major whereas in the UK you have to know what you want to do before you even apply. I'd even say the fact that they put some weight on extracurriculars is good, though its not perfect by any means. Even if people take time to "grow up" they can still contribute by getting a blue collar job for example which is really in demand. The UK has seasonal migrants to pick fruit!

Even at uni, most people dont use what they learn (if its not vocational) but the skills learned, self-development and networking are priceless. I'd rather people delay going to uni for good reason (which I believe it almost always is, otherwise why would they apply?), then go and make a mess of it.

Like you say, there are many BS jobs out there that serve just to keep people employed. Imagine AI got to the point it could just wipe all these jobs out, let alone the ones that aren't BS jobs but could still be replaced. People seek validation / fulfilment from their jobs / career. So I get that society shames those who don't take part. I'm personally a lot more worried about people being jobless and unfulfilled with the advent of AI than lost 18 year olds. It's already hard for graduates to find jobs now whereas in the last many decades it was much easier.

Counterintuitively, part of the reason why it is 'harder' to find jobs is because of online recruitment / networking platforms. Applying for jobs has become too easy.

So whilst the sum total number of jobs has more less stayed the same, the number of applicants for many jobs has soared through the roof. Not because our population has increased, but because people can now send out their CV to 100 employers with relative ease, whereas in the past they might have sent their CV to just 10 employers.

It's a similar pattern as with online dating apps. There's too much competition, far more competition than is actually out there, and people's expectations are often warped because of it as well. People's behaviors in both examples are very similar to one another. People are making less effort per job application, because they have to instead send their CV to to 100 employers of just 10. People bullsh*tting more in their CVs and job interviews. People hopping from one job to another more frequently. etc. Very similar to what is happening with casual dating. Funny, eh?

I think people need to go back to 1st principles that are historically proven to work. Building strong relationships with colleagues at work, building your social networks and meeting people that way instead of online, actually doing a good job instead of only pretending you are so you can fluff up your CV before your next job application, applying for degrees that can actually repay the loans which people take out for those. I could go on, but I have stuff to do.

Many people are too focused on superficial and short term pursuits. Vanity comes with a high price.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest