The Student Room Group

Going to college to achieve Bio/Chem a-levels for Optometry at University

hi guys!

My academic situation is really confusing.
I am a year 12 student really passionate about studying Optometry at University, however, I don't have the correct qualifications to study an Optometry programme in 2024(which is when I join University).

I am currently studying BTEC National Applied Science, Psychology and Sociology.

Most Universities require two A-level Science subjects (biology/chemistry/physics/maths), even for their Foundation Years.

For this reason, I have decided I am willing to join a College to achieve these qualifications, however, I have many questions:
1. is it mandatory to do three levels in a college, even though i will have my previous A-levels(BTEC/Psych/Socio)
2. Approximately how long do your A-level Qualifications last for Uni?
3. Is there a better pathway to optometry?

I do have more questions and I will post them when I remember them, and I really appreciate anyone who may have answers/experience with anything I have discussed!
Reply 1
Hi, to start with A level qualifications don't have an 'expiry date' in a sense. They will always be valid for university degrees so don't worry about that. There are some universities that have a foundation year that you can enter without science subjects such as Huddersfield universities 'Science Extended Degree leading to a BSc(Hons) Degree'. There is also another pathway you can take which are access courses which tend to only last one year and would allow you to enter optometry degrees. It'll be worth checking these out along with costs associated. They are for mature students (19+). These are the options open to you after year 13.

As for now you can always restart year 12 with the subjects you want to take (2 science combination). You could call around to local colleges or sixth forms to see if they are willing to accommodate you for the upcoming year.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by atiyya03
Hi, to start with A level qualifications don't have an 'expiry date' in a sense. They will always be valid for university degrees so don't worry about that. There are some universities that have a foundation year that you can enter without science subjects such as Huddersfield universities 'Science Extended Degree leading to a BSc(Hons) Degree'. There is also another pathway you can take which are access courses which tend to only last one year and would allow you to enter optometry degrees. It'll be worth checking these out along with costs associated. They are for mature students (19+). These are the options open to you after year 13.

As for now you can always restart year 12 with the subjects you want to take (2 science combination). You could call around to local colleges or sixth forms to see if they are willing to accommodate you for the upcoming year.

Good luck :smile:

Hi @Naila Amey

- Thanks for the mention @atiyya03, as Atiyya03 mentions we have a foundation degree called 'Science Extended Degree'. This course is set up to allow students who perhaps didn't choose the right A levels/BTECs required to study on an optometry course, or perhaps didn't get the grades to study optometry, a chance. This course is 1 year long, costs the same as a year on a degree and is there to prepare you for what university study is like as well as have your knowledge base ready to do a degree in the sciences. This degree can grant you entry on to most of our science courses, with some courses like Optometry and Pharmacy requiring certain performance targets during this extended degree in order to be admitted.

This may be a more desirable option rather than re-taking A levels, as it requires a one year course to get you where you need to be, but it is a financial commitment too so please keep that in mind.

Best wishes,
Lewis

Social media and content officer, University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest