The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bubbles*de*Milo
My mum was crying when she read about Baby P the other day. And I've never seen her cry about things in the news.

I hope you told her in no uncertain terms to grow the **** up.
death.drop
I don't think people are over reacting as such because it's a major failure of the system. it's the way they're reacting that's getting to me. that article, for example, just the way it was written.....it was more like a novel than a newspaper article. it's almost like they're glamorising it all.

anyway, what I was going to say is that while this has happened and it is a tragedy lets not forget the huge amount of kids that social services stops this kind of thing happening to, the amount of cases that it intervenes in to make kids lives better. it sounds like the flaw of one or two people who have ultimate control over decision making, rather than a flaw of the system.

While the system does benefit some childen it fails others. A few things I read suggested that the social workers visiting Peter were intimidated by the stepfather so too scared to do anything. If this is the case where people are frightened to do their job (though I think it was sheer laziness and ignorance when it came to these 'people') then more support should be provided and more police or whatever. i don't know much about that or what they would need to do. I just think it is sick how people who want to adopt a child are treated like scum if they smoke but they allow a child to stay in a home where they are tortured to death.
Reply 122
IanDangerously
Hell no. This is a massive over-reaction by any stretch of the imagination. Were you, by any chance, one of the people who gave the Madeleine McCann story at least 6 months before starting to question "Isn't this a little over-the-top"?

How is it an over reaction though?? It's sick, i can't think of anything worse than a child tortured to death by it's own family!!!!! you obviously live on a different planet to everyone else!!! and the Madeleine McCann story is tragic too! I wouldn't say it was over the top either, noone knows what has happened to that beautiful little girl :frown:
Lulu-Lexi
Over-reacting? I don't think there has been enough of a reaction. A baby being systematically abused for months and months and was eventually tortured to death under the nose of the idiots in charge is absolutely the sickest thing I have ever read. This baby was taught to put his head on the floor by his ****** step-dad when he came in a room. Imagine how terrified he was. With a broken back, 8 broken ribs and countless other injuries he smiled at a social worker when she visited him just before he died. Probably trying to get her to lift him out of the pushchair he was in so she would notice his injuries. The bitch did nothing. Just looked at him in the pushchair and told his whore mother to clean his face. With any luck you will never be in as much pain and as unloved and as worthless in the eyes of the government as that baby was. If you were would you think a public outcry is an over reaction?

The public outcry is an overreaction because its not really leading towards anything. If the British public were actually going out and creating pressure groups and holding political activist demonstrations to campaign the government to increase spending in Social Services to prevent things like this happening again, then fine ... but instead everyone is sitting on their arses idly whining about the story to try to morally justify themselves.

And yes, if I was in that much pain and was that unloved I'd still think that an outcry from anyone of the circle of people who know me is an overreaction because its nothing to do with them.

LinziP123
How is it an over reaction though?? It's sick, i can't think of anything worse than a child tortured to death by it's own family!!!!! you obviously live on a different planet to everyone else!!! and the Madeleine McCann story is tragic too! I wouldn't say it was over the top either, noone knows what has happened to that beautiful little girl

It's an over-reaction because it really doesn't have a lot to do with you, or any of the people on TSR. Unless you knew Baby P (and I'm assuming here you don't), what involvement do you have with the story that requires you to feel so strongly about it? As for claiming you can't think of anything worse than the baby p story .... how about terrorist bombings, or poverty in africa, or the weapons crises in Iran? In fact, anything which involves the death of more than one person is worse because the deathcount is higher. And the Maddie story may have been sad, but it was a case of neglect, nothing else, and it became irritating sensationalism after about 2 weeks anyway.

death.drop
I don't think people are over reacting as such because it's a major failure of the system. it's the way they're reacting that's getting to me. that article, for example, just the way it was written.....it was more like a novel than a newspaper article. it's almost like they're glamorising it all.

anyway, what I was going to say is that while this has happened and it is a tragedy lets not forget the huge amount of kids that social services stops this kind of thing happening to, the amount of cases that it intervenes in to make kids lives better. it sounds like the flaw of one or two people who have ultimate control over decision making, rather than a flaw of the system.

Well the media have a very good way at putting a stupid spin on every story they report to be able to tug on the heart-strings of the mentally weak. It's all about characterisation imo, give a bit of a backstory about what the victim liked and talk about their positives, show a picture of them smiling, and then give as many gory details about their demise as possible and most people will go "awwwwwww" and get all up in arms about it calling for the antagonist to have his ******** ripped off and hung as christmas ornaments. It's a standard formula which is abused frequently and with great effect.

Social services probably does do it's job well enough most of the time, but that doesnt make for exciting news, so we're always more inclined to take the negative view because its what we hear about the most. It's far easier to blame the system than the people responsible because its so hard to find out which people, specifically, would be held accountable. Why don't the people who are feeling strongly enough to post about the system being awful on here shift their efforts over into actively doing something to change it though, as I mentioned above?
cpj1987
Wow, they've VERY alike :eek:

I know :frown:
:holmes: An interesting thought.
IanDangerously
The public outcry is an overreaction because its not really leading towards anything. If the British public were actually going out and creating pressure groups and holding political activist demonstrations to campaign the government to increase spending in Social Services to prevent things like this happening again, then fine ... but instead everyone is sitting on their arses idly whining about the story to try to morally justify themselves.

And yes, if I was in that much pain and was that unloved I'd still think that an outcry from anyone of the circle of people who know me is an overreaction because its nothing to do with them.

Like I said people haven't over-reacted enough. They should be doing what you have mentioned. If it was me who had been let down like Peter had been it had been reported in the papers I would hope that everyone was angry and upset and wanted justice. As for Madeleine McCann I think that everything should have been done to find her. If she was my child I would have wanted everything to be done to find her and I would want huge coverage. However I would not have been as stupid and naive as to leave her alone in a hotel room but that is a different topic.

http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/07/store-fined-300-for-using-wrong-bin.html

nice to see Haringey know what is important.
Reply 127
IanDangerously

It's an over-reaction because it really doesn't have a lot to do with you, or any of the people on TSR. Unless you knew Baby P (and I'm assuming here you don't), what involvement do you have with the story that requires you to feel so strongly about it? As for claiming you can't think of anything worse than the baby p story .... how about terrorist bombings, or poverty in africa, or the weapons crises in Iran? In fact, anything which involves the death of more than one person is worse because the deathcount is higher. And the Maddie story may have been sad, but it was a case of neglect, nothing else, and it became irritating sensationalism after about 2 weeks anyway.

well that doesn't really make sense - you don't have to personally know the victims to find it sad - it's human nature, as i said particularlly if you know a young child. And by your reasoning i shouldn't feel any of those situations is wrong/sad and shouldn't be discussed as i am not personally involved?? All of those situations are obviously bad, but i still find a child being tortured by it's family heartbreaking. And it's not necessarily the death count that makes it worse to me, it's the fact that the child was so mistreated and what a waste of a life, even children in Africa are poor but have parents that love them!!
Lulu-Lexi
Like I said people haven't over-reacted enough. They should be doing what you have mentioned. If it was me who had been let down like Peter had been it had been reported in the papers I would hope that everyone was angry and upset and wanted justice. As for Madeleine McCann I think that everything should have been done to find her. If she was my child I would have wanted everything to be done to find her and I would want huge coverage. However I would not have been as stupid and naive as to leave her alone in a hotel room but that is a different topic.

http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/07/store-fined-300-for-using-wrong-bin.html

nice to see Haringey know what is important.

No, people have over-reacted enough. If they were taking up some kind of activism I wouldn't say they were over-reacting, but this kind of thing on a forum certainly is. Incidentally, the focus of these discussions shouldn't be about Baby P at all, but rather about what can be done to prevent similar situations occuring in the future. It's intellectually easier for everyone to just say "Awwww omg omg thats awful poor poor child hope the parents burn in hell cry cry cry" than to ever discuss anything productive. Everything was done to find Madeleine, unfortunately, nobody could. Her parents were directly accountable for the problem and depsite raising a small fortune through charity based off the good nature of others (which they had no problem spending invidiously, btw), taxpayers still ended up helping to pay for the bill.
PinkMobilePhone
I know :frown:

Cheers for the bad rep btw, its nice to see your as brainwashed as the rest of 'em.
Reply 130
arisk01
This is pathetic, she was probably scared herself (the 15yr old); for all she knew, the parents would've done the same to her. How the **** can you blame her???

:ditto:
I read the article and felt like crying. That's so sick....so, so sick.

I don't think it's inappropriate to say that I am praying that the child has an infinitely happy life in his next one...and I have faith that if there is a heaven, he could never be denied.

Let's hope this travesty can be put into effort changing the law so that workers are more responsive, and punishment is far harsher for parents who fail to properly parent.
IanDangerously
No, people have over-reacted enough. If they were taking up some kind of activism I wouldn't say they were over-reacting, but this kind of thing on a forum certainly is. Incidentally, the focus of these discussions shouldn't be about Baby P at all, but rather about what can be done to prevent similar situations occuring in the future. It's intellectually easier for everyone to just say "Awwww omg omg thats awful poor poor child hope the parents burn in hell cry cry cry" than to ever discuss anything productive. Everything was done to find Madeleine, unfortunately, nobody could. Her parents were directly accountable for the problem and depsite raising a small fortune through charity based off the good nature of others (which they had no problem spending invidiously, btw), taxpayers still ended up helping to pay for the bill.

I agree with what you have said about Madeleine but I think everything possible should be done for a missing child.
Type: Organizations - Community Organizations
Description: DEMONSTRATION AND BLUE BALLOONS OUTSIDE 10 DOWNING ST
ON 3RD DEC 2008 (16 months after beautiful Peter died)
AT 11.35 (time ambulance came)
UNTIL 12.20 PM (time Peter pronounced dead)

Blue balloons will be released at 12.20. in memory of Peter.

Angelica Terzoli
65 Weymouth Street
London
W1G 8NU

Host: Justice March For Baby P
Type: Causes - Protest
Network: Global

Time and Place Date: Saturday, December 13, 2008
Time: 11:00am - 5:00pm
City/Town: London, United Kingdom

Contact Info Phone: 07792643382
Email: [email protected] or francisfamilyuk@ya

this is a bit more pro-active like you suggest. I am definitly going.
No one was convicted of murder and all three accuse have not shown any remorse. The assholes apparently took a video of the beatings and all three smiled when the extent of the injuries were discussed in court. They are Tracey Connelley, Steven Barker, the live-in partner and his brother Jason (Barker) Owen.

I cannot believe that there are people like this. I mean I have read some sick stuff. I know that people do bad things but to smile when you hear how some bastard sliced your babies fingertips off so he could pull out his fingernails more easily . . .
Reply 134
To the ones who are giving hte 15 yr old hell: think with your head and not your heart.

Omission is NOT a crime in the laws eyes, something you can be thankful for. The only time an omission is a crime is when there is a special relationship. Whilst disturbing the girl did not have to act.

That also means I can watch a baby get eaten alive even I could easily save it. Not saying I want to, but thats the way the law works.
IanDangerously
Cheers for the bad rep btw, its nice to see your as brainwashed as the rest of 'em.

You deserved the neg. At least I signed mine - unlike you when you retaliated.

You think people need to 'grow up' because they are upset that a baby was tortured and killed? You, clearly, are severely lacking in compassion, and not only that but you're very ill mannered.
PinkMobilePhone
You deserved the neg. At least I signed mine - unlike you when you retaliated.

You think people need to 'grow up' because they are upset that a baby was tortured and killed? You, clearly, are severely lacking in compassion, and not only that but you're very ill mannered.

I'm certainly not lacking in compassion, I'm just a realist. I like to take a cynical view on life as opposed to the general consensus on TSR to leap blindly over everything the media say and create massive outpouring of emotions over things in other peoples lives because our own are so boring.
Reply 137
IanDangerously
I'm certainly not lacking in compassion, I'm just a realist. I like to take a cynical view on life as opposed to the general consensus on TSR to leap blindly over everything the media say and create massive outpouring of emotions over things in other peoples lives because our own are so boring.

It doesn't matter what the media have said. People are focusing on the reality; a baby WAS tortured, and he WAS killed. The media haven't invented Baby P.
There's this thing called empathy; MOST people have it; so whether they've been beaten to death themselves (which you seem to think would be the only reason to find this upsetting), been through something similar, or been able to relate that little baby to someone they know, people DO have emotional reactions to things outside their own little bubble.
It's pretty sad that you care about nothing and nobody other than yourself.
Reply 138
she should have done something about it but i guess theres more than one person to blame. the story makes me so sad :frown: why the hell would anyone do anythin like that to let alone a fully grown person, but a little baby. what is the world comin to =|
I couldn't even read the full article. That is just so, so distressing. I can understand why the 15 year old didn't say anything - through fear, and through living in that kind of environment. And, whether it's fair or not, I'm sure it's enough of a punishment when she has to live with the consequences of what happened and having to go through that horrible ordeal.

Latest

Trending

Trending