The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh University Fashion Applicants

Hi! I’ve sent off my application to study fashion BA at Edinburgh with the a level grades of A*AB, and I’m hoping to get in! I’ve started this thread for us fashion applicants to discuss anything application related! And would love to hear if anyone has received any offers yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I was just wondering where else you’ve applied to and why you chose Edinburgh. I applied to Edinburgh too but solely based on what i’ve heard about it from class mates. It would be great to hear what you think about it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by qqychn
Hi, I was just wondering where else you’ve applied to and why you chose Edinburgh. I applied to Edinburgh too but solely based on what i’ve heard about it from class mates. It would be great to hear what you think about it.

I’ve also applied to uni of Leeds, Brighton and UAL but for graphics! I applied to Edinburgh because I like how it’s a 4 year course, the course modules really interest me but tbh I just really love the city and fell in love when I’ve visited before! Where have you applied? I can’t lie I’m kind of regretting my other choices!
Reply 3
Original post by rebecca_wd
I’ve also applied to uni of Leeds, Brighton and UAL but for graphics! I applied to Edinburgh because I like how it’s a 4 year course, the course modules really interest me but tbh I just really love the city and fell in love when I’ve visited before! Where have you applied? I can’t lie I’m kind of regretting my other choices!

Oh no hahaha! Have you heard back from any of them yet? And yes, Edinburgh does seem really nice although I’m starting to worry that atmosphere seems too ‘snobbish’ as that’s what I’ve heard about it in comparison to somewhere like Glasgow (not sure how true that is though). I’ve applied to Kingston, Nottingham Trent (regretting now :/), Demontfort and Northumbria. I was rejected but got an offer for a different course from Kingston today which I’m bummed out about as that was one of my top choices but oh well. How come you switched from fashion to graphics out of curiosity, or was that just for UAL?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by qqychn
Oh no hahaha! Have you heard back from any of them yet? And yes, Edinburgh does seem really nice although I’m starting to worry that atmosphere seems too ‘snobbish’ as that’s what I’ve heard about it in comparison to somewhere like Glasgow (not sure how true that is though). I’ve applied to Kingston, Nottingham Trent (regretting now :/), Demontfort and Northumbria. I was rejected but got an offer for a different course from Kingston today which I’m bummed out about as that was one of my top choices but oh well. How come you switched from fashion to graphics out of curiosity, or was that just for UAL?

Yeah I’ve got an unconditional offer at all of my other choices! I don’t think you should regret Nottingham Trent, I think it’s ranked higher than uni of Nottingham and it’s a great uni for art and design. Sorry about Kingston but good luck with Edinburgh or Glasgow! I’m sure you will enjoy it wherever you go. And I just chose graphic branding at UAL because it seemed like a very interesting course with lots of different career paths but fashion is what I would rather be doing.
Original post by qqychn

Hi! If you don't mind, may I ask if you have received offers from Nottingham Trent and Northumbria, and if so, how long ago? I submitted my portfolio to Nottingham Trent one month ago, but I have yet to receive a decision.
Original post by qqychn

Hi @qqychn!

First of all, congratulations on your offer from Kingston! 😆

I am a student at Kingston School of Art and wanted to let you know even if you didn’t originally want to do this new course that has been offered to you, our KSA offers so much. You might actually enjoy this course more which 2 of my friends now do who were in the same position as you. KSA has so many facilities on offer that are available for every student after an introduction session. I am currently learning how to create a hardback book even though my course has nothing to do with this (I do design marketing)! Have you been to one of our open days? These might come in handy to see what the KSA has to offer and possibly talk to a lecturer for your new course.

Please let me know if you have any questions to ask about KSA- we would love for you to join us!

-Yasmin (first year BA Design marketing)
Reply 7
Hii yeah so I received a conditional offer from Northumbria which was given to me a couple days after I applied, before I’d even submitted my portfolio which I thought was strange but I think it’s just the way they sort the applications. They sent an email saying that it was an offer ‘‘on the condition that I submitted a satisfactory portfolio and statement’’. Then I received my NTU offer 2 weeks after my portfolio submission which was around mid February. Have you applied for fashion too? as it may be a different process if you’ve applied for another subject. If you’re worried I’d suggest maybe give a follow up email to the admissions team. :smile: good luck!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! If you don't mind, may I ask if you have received offers from Nottingham Trent and Northumbria, and if so, how long ago? I submitted my portfolio to Nottingham Trent one month ago, but I have yet to receive a decision.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Hi! no, unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to visit the uni yet, however I’ll definitely look into the course more. I was just wondering how they select suitable applicants and if you would happen to know why they have offered the alternative course. I’m presuming it’s due to the number of applicants they receive/not meeting the criteria etc… If that’s the case I’m curious as to the sorts of attributes they look for in portfolios?

Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @qqychn!

First of all, congratulations on your offer from Kingston! 😆

I am a student at Kingston School of Art and wanted to let you know even if you didn’t originally want to do this new course that has been offered to you, our KSA offers so much. You might actually enjoy this course more which 2 of my friends now do who were in the same position as you. KSA has so many facilities on offer that are available for every student after an introduction session. I am currently learning how to create a hardback book even though my course has nothing to do with this (I do design marketing)! Have you been to one of our open days? These might come in handy to see what the KSA has to offer and possibly talk to a lecturer for your new course.

Please let me know if you have any questions to ask about KSA- we would love for you to join us!

-Yasmin (first year BA Design marketing)
Reply 9
Yeah I’ve got an unconditional offer at all of my other choices! I don’t think you should regret Nottingham Trent, I think it’s ranked higher than uni of Nottingham and it’s a great uni for art and design. Sorry about Kingston but good luck with Edinburgh or Glasgow! I’m sure you will enjoy it wherever you go. And I just chose graphic branding at UAL because it seemed like a very interesting course with lots of different career paths but fashion is what I would rather be doing.

Wow that’s amazing congrats! I received an offer from Edinburgh last night :biggrin: Have you heard back from them? If not I’m sure it’ll be within a few weeks. Have you any idea of your top choices yet?
Original post by qqychn
Wow that’s amazing congrats! I received an offer from Edinburgh last night :biggrin: Have you heard back from them? If not I’m sure it’ll be within a few weeks. Have you any idea of your top choices yet?

Oh wow congratulations!! That’s amazing!! Do you mind me asking when you submitted your portfolio/ application? And Edinburgh would definitely be my top choice if I get an offer, If I don’t it would be Brighton atm. Just went to the uni of Leeds offer holder day and it was really disappointing if I’m honest.
hii, i’ve gotten offers back from ntu, edinburgh and central lancashire for fashion design BA, what are peoples top choices? im still unsure with mine
Original post by qqychn

hey, what are your top choices? i’ve also gotten offers from NTU and Edinburgh
Reply 13
Oh wow congratulations!! That’s amazing!! Do you mind me asking when you submitted your portfolio/ application? And Edinburgh would definitely be my top choice if I get an offer, If I don’t it would be Brighton atm. Just went to the uni of Leeds offer holder day and it was really disappointing if I’m honest.

Aw no, how come? I've heard Leeds is meant to be quite good! I have a tendency of doing everything last minute so I'm pretty sure I submitted my portfolio a day before the due date :/
Reply 14
Original post by siannyyy
hey, what are your top choices? i’ve also gotten offers from NTU and Edinburgh

Congrats! I'd say right now my top choice is Edinburgh. I'm not sure why but I've been slowly putting off NTU, but when I went for the open day I really liked the area and facilities. Where else did you apply/receive offers from?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
hii, i’ve gotten offers back from ntu, edinburgh and central lancashire for fashion design BA, what are peoples top choices? im still unsure with mine

congrats! definitely Edinburgh as of now. I really liked the atmosphere of UCLAN when I went but it's a bit too close to where I live for me to want to spend money on accommodation :redface:. I guess it depends whether you prefer larger or smaller cities. What's making you unsure?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by qqychn
Aw no, how come? I've heard Leeds is meant to be quite good! I have a tendency of doing everything last minute so I'm pretty sure I submitted my portfolio a day before the due date :/

It’s just extremely academic compared to practical and creative. You rarely ever get the chance to make anything, all the designing and everything created for portfolios is all digital. I would just rather be able to do more hands on making and have more studio time. Compared to Brighton where I went to their offer holder day and the studio is just bursting of creativity, and with the course helping you establish your own identity as a designer and develop a brand whilst still learning the business side of things, it was just miles better.
Original post by qqychn
congrats! definitely Edinburgh as of now. I really liked the atmosphere of UCLAN when I went but it's a bit too close to where I live for me to want to spend money on accommodation :redface:. I guess it depends whether you prefer larger or smaller cities

Would you mind me asking what your predicted grades are?
Reply 18
Would you mind me asking what your predicted grades are?

I'm actually doing a foundation course right now but for a-levels I got A*AA.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 19
It’s just extremely academic compared to practical and creative. You rarely ever get the chance to make anything, all the designing and everything created for portfolios is all digital. I would just rather be able to do more hands on making and have more studio time. Compared to Brighton where I went to their offer holder day and the studio is just bursting of creativity, and with the course helping you establish your own identity as a designer and develop a brand whilst still learning the business side of things, it was just miles better.

Ah that's odd. Thinking about it now I heard it was good for graphics so it makes sense that most of it is digital. That's a shame though. Let me know if you hear back from Edinburgh soon !
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending