The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
frost3dbutts
You might want to reconsider your definition of spamming.

Oh, so a debate on why someone who hasn't applied to Oxford and claims that he wouldn't apply there even if he could, thinks the place / students / whatever is/are stuck-up is relevant to this thread?
Reply 41
I'd like to say no, but in reality, hell yes!

Academically, I know the English course is very very traditional and that's just what I want. I don't want to take modules in creative writing and film, write my dissertation on Harry Potter and have 60% of the assessment done via coursework. I've spent so many years at school studying trendy, unchallenging texts and completing speaking and listening courseworks... I want something more hard core.

Then there's the social side. I really want to live in a college. My secondary school is mahosive and I'd love to live somewhere with a community feel to it, which I never had at school.

Durham might offer me this too BUT... it's so far from where I live. It would take over 6 hours to her there. Oxford is just the right distance - far enough but not so far my dad's suggesting plane tickets.

Oh and there's the fact it's so pretty. The fact I know I'd be getting value for money. I'd know it has the reputation it does so I won't have wasted three years, and graduated with a qualification that's worth little more than an extra A level.

Gosh I sound desperate.
Posting off topic =/= spamming
It is, but Durham's a close second, I really liked Durham and St Chad's. I think for quite a few things I preferred Durham, but a degree from Oxford has that little extra something, and it just seems wrong to turn such an opportunity down. I don't think this is going to really be an issue for me though since my entrance exam went so badly that I don't stand a chance of getting an offer in the first place.
Reply 44
frost3dbutts
Posting off topic =/= spamming

Whatever.:rolleyes:
Reply 45
i'm keener on the jewish community within the Hebrew and jewish studies dept. at ucl than at oxford. but that's only what i've seen at open days.
and i'd love to live just a half hour train ride from home and a ten minute walk from camden *nosh*

but come on, it's oxford. i just couldn't turn that opportunity down.
oxford is not the be all and end all and it's not the best for all subjects, and it doesn't suit everyone. my french teacher says i'd probably hate it - i wouldn't cope with the tradition and structure.

interesting thought, op. you've made me thunk.
Reply 46
Um, yes. But not to the point of reapplying next year if I don't get in. If I don't get an interview, life goes on, but if I get that and a subsequent offer...
Reply 47
It's not so obvious in my case. I'm applying for CompSci and Imperial is generally considered as good as Oxford or even better for my course. I think I might also like Edinburgh (haven't visited), but it's more likely to be my 3rd choice. Although, at the end of the day, I think I'd go for Oxford anyway.
Reply 48
Just a tiny by-the-by: what does OP stand for? It's driving me nuts already.
Azzrahelle
Just a tiny by-the-by: what does OP stand for? It's driving me nuts already.

Original Post(er).
eve_22
Would you definitely go there, provided you get an offer?

Just wondering...:smile:

A refreshing discussion to relax us all a little bit:smile:

Chicago might make the choice difficult, but I'd probably still pick Oxford entre les deux.
Reply 51
Light beam from Heaven
+1 experience

cheers :wink:
It would have been should I have wanted to study any other subject other than Medicine.
Reply 53
Yes, definitely. I actually had a dream about my first day at my college today :shifty:. I think I'm getting a bit obsessed.
Swayum
Yes, definitely. I actually had a dream about my first day at my college today :shifty:. I think I'm getting a bit obsessed.

I had a dream about interviews when I haven't got one yet...

Ohh, and a dream about what it'd be like if I got in. But that involved all of the most "special" people I knew from high school also getting in, which was strange.

And yes, they'd definitely be my first choice - as the size of writing in my sig indicates. :biggrin:
eve_22
Would you definitely go there, provided you get an offer?

Just wondering...:smile:

A refreshing discussion to relax us all a little bit:smile:

Thames Valley University and London Met are both clearly better than Oxford.
Reply 56
flugestuge
Thames Valley University and London Met are both clearly better than Oxford.

This "joke" has already been made earlier on in the thread...not funny, specially for the second time :wink:
ur so sad foer being up at dis time wrting bout oxford.
Reply 58
Nope, definatly wouldnt be!

If im not happy where I am now, then Oxford would be about 10 times worse. Great if the academic side is what you enjoy, if you dont enjoy it then I doubt Oxford is for you. Go somewhere fun instead!!
Caperucitaroja
ur so sad foer being up at dis time wrting bout oxford.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending