The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections 2009 entry

So, like many other medicine 2009 applicants i have been trawling through threads about offers, wondering 'will i get one??!?' 'oh god, interviews have gone out, and i dont have one!!'
I also tried to find a rejections thread.. figured it could be interesting...
well, today i got my first rejection, Manchester.
I DO feel a teensy bit deflated about that. But am i the only one? I cant be the ONLY person in the UK to be rejected at this point. Nor the ONLY one on TSR. I appreciate the majority of people arent gonna want to admit to being rejected, So, heres a thread to post rejections on!!
(partly for my interest, partly for others, and maybe itl make you feel abit better when you see your not the ONLY person to be rejected)
Just an idea!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My mate has been rejected from 3 Universities.

Just thought id dob him in lol
Reply 2
I saw someone on NMM who had been rejected from UEA but they only had ABBC at Alevel (C in Biology). Icecreambunnie do you know why you were rejected?
Reply 3
Hopw many did you apply for
Hi, just got my first reply through UCAS...a rejection from Manchester:frown: :mad:
I love the way i had to find out from UCAS it's not like they could sent me a letter or email first to soften the blow...
To be fair Manchester was my last choice and I picked it 2 hours before i sent my application off.
However, figures crossed about the other 3
As my dad said; I can only go to one university so there is nothing to gain by getting all four interviews!
Good Luck everyone else
medicine is not an easy degree to get into.
If you get rejected now, doesn't that mean that you don't meet the criteria?
tr0n
oh come on...only I know someone who...or...I heard a friend of a friend has been rejected.
I dont think you will get many posts from people that have been rejected.
well...I'll post mine soon, just waiting for them!
cheer up!

is it just me or does this make no sense?
My friend got rejected from Manchester for med too. Don't worry, you've still got another 3 chances.
cucumber sandwich

yea I suppose it does
i could kick myself for not checking it was such a idiotic thing to do
i was in a rush but... i only have myself to blame... well i also blame Manchester to make myself feel better
Reply 10
icecreambunnie
So, like many other medicine 2009 applicants i have been trawling through threads about offers, wondering 'will i get one??!?' 'oh god, interviews have gone out, and i dont have one!!'
I also tried to find a rejections thread.. figured it could be interesting...
well, today i got my first rejection, Manchester.
I DO feel a teensy bit deflated about that. But am i the only one? I cant be the ONLY person in the UK to be rejected at this point. Nor the ONLY one on TSR. I appreciate the majority of people arent gonna want to admit to being rejected, So, heres a thread to post rejections on!!
(partly for my interest, partly for others, and maybe itl make you feel abit better when you see your not the ONLY person to be rejected)
Just an idea!

To make you guys feel better I might as well share.
I had a medicine interview back in sept to switch from biochemistry (just finished first year) to medicine- and yes I was rejected from my OWN uni. It's hard not to take personally when one of my tutors was one of the interviewers!

*sigh*
A friend of mine got rejected from Manchester today too. I actually think they have a UKCAT cut off score but haven't actually announced it. Kinda makes me appreciate the whole no news is good news phrase we hear again and again.

You've got three other choices so don't put yourself out of the game just yet. I'm sure I'll end up posting here again in the future with some news so watch this space!
cucumber sandwich

well one would assume that anyone who applies meets the set criteria to apply; so no that is generally not why people get rejected.
The universities may choose to either interview or reject for any reason they so desire. Perhaps it is simply a case that they prefer one person over another on paper.
Reply 13
Eggs-over_easy
is it just me or does this make no sense?

None whatsoever lmao.
!MEna
A friend of mine got rejected from Manchester today too. I actually think they have a UKCAT cut off score but haven't actually announced it. Kinda makes me appreciate the whole no news is good news phrase we hear again and again.

You've got three other choices so don't put yourself out of the game just yet. I'm sure I'll end up posting here again in the future with some news so watch this space!

yea that is what i am hoping will transpire
good luck; you have alot to be proud of with all you results so you have as good as chance as any
wish i could be as confident with my results/ application.
cucumber sandwich

Not neccessarily. You can meet all the academic criteria and still be rejected without interview.

Manchester score each personal statement according to a set of criteria. This year those that don't meet a certain cut-off mark for their PS are being rejected without interview. Those that do achieve the mark are then ranked by UKCAT. The top approx 750 of those ranked are being interviewed, the remainder are rejected.

So it's not all about the grades or UKCAT - if you have a poor PS you could still be rejected without interview despite a very high UKCAT, and likewise, you could still get an interview with a mediocre UKCAT but a great PS.
I was looking for this yesterday - too bad my disappointment got in the way of me taking the initiative to start the thread myself :p:

Anyway, received my Manchester rejection yesterday - I reckoned I've handled it pretty well :smile:

I think I would have taken it more personally had I been rejected post-interview; right now they're just whittling their numbers down.

I only need one medical school to like me for me to become a Doctor, at the end of the day :yep:
Cassie89
To make you guys feel better I might as well share.
I had a medicine interview back in sept to switch from biochemistry (just finished first year) to medicine- and yes I was rejected from my OWN uni. It's hard not to take personally when one of my tutors was one of the interviewers!

*sigh*

out of curiosity which uni was that? i am about to apply for biomed sciences after deciding medicine wasnt for me, but theres always the worry maybe i have made a mistake, so i dont know if later i would want to switch or do graduate medicine, i know leicester let u switch.
L'amourantDeLaPenguin
I was looking for this yesterday - too bad my disappointment got in the way of me taking the initiative to start the thread myself :p:

Anyway, received my Manchester rejection yesterday - I reckoned I've handled it pretty well :smile:

I think I would have taken it more personally had I been rejected post-interview; right now they're just whittling their numbers down.

I only need one medical school to like me for me to become a Doctor, at the end of the day :yep:

seconed, completly.
i think if we put ourself on a limb like this (applying for medicine is the biggest f**ing limb i've ever met) we have to be able to deal with such a harsh rejetion :eek:
don't worry about it :smile:

I mean im in no position to talk i've done pretty well on the interview front but my mate got rejected from manchester the other day :frown:

You'll be fine.. universities often look for specific kinds of people anyway i think... plenty more chances yet :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending