The Student Room Group

2023 pgce

Has anyone done an Oxford or Cambridge PGCE interview recently? I was planning to apply to both (secondary history) but was curious about the structure of the interview/ any tests that you were required to complete. I’m working full time and am concerned I’m not going to have enough time to prepare beforehand. Any help or guidance would be really appreciated!
Original post by amyjbaker
Has anyone done an Oxford or Cambridge PGCE interview recently? I was planning to apply to both (secondary history) but was curious about the structure of the interview/ any tests that you were required to complete. I’m working full time and am concerned I’m not going to have enough time to prepare beforehand. Any help or guidance would be really appreciated!

Dear Amyjbaker,

I wondered if you have been able to look for the courses you mentioned at https://www.gov.uk/find-postgraduate-teacher-training-courses ? Each course listed has details about the interview process, which may be helpful to you.

If you would like free 1-to-1 support, you could register with The Get Into Teaching Information Service for an adviser, who will be able to help you research how to train to be a teacher, navigate the application process and answer your specific questions. You can register by calling 0800 389 2500 Monday to Friday or online at https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/.

I hope this information helps. Very best wishes

Suzanne
Reply 2
Hi, I was wondering if you done the interviews for Oxford or Cambridge yet? I have an interview next week for history and was wondering what is entailed in the group interview?
Reply 3
Hello,

Yes I’ve done both and they were a lot more relaxed than I was expecting to be honest. Which uni have you got an interview for?

There were only 3 of us in my Oxford interview and it was just a discussion of some sources they showed on the screen. The interviewer gave a bit of background to each one and then just let us discuss as she took notes. They assured me in my individual interview that it’s not a test of your historical knowledge (thankfully for me!). I think it’s more to hear your thought processes and see how you interact with others.

My Cambridge interview was a whole in-person day with various activities which were independent but presented to the whole group (6 of us in total). They did have a group element which was an activity where we worked in pairs and presented back our ideas. Again, not a test of your knowledge and very relaxed.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending