The Student Room Group

3 Day Commitment in June during PGCE

Hello! I’m starting my PGCE in September and I’m very excited to begin and get stuck in. However, I’ve just checked my diary and realised that a 3 day commitment I have in June 2023 is across a Wednesday-Friday period when I thought it was Friday-Sunday. I have a wedding up north, and it will be during the third to last week of my 2nd placement school. Basically 3-4 weeks before the end of the course. I don’t have any other commitments at all booked across the course, and I plan to have full attendance (if I don’t get sick), but I really will need this time off. Does anyone know how easy it’ll be for me to explain to them this situation? It is not something I feel comfortable cancelling as it’s an important event, and I don’t want to lie or pull a sickie either. I am happy to complete a further 3 days when I return if necessary for QTS, etc.
Presumably you mean June 2024 as June 2023 has already happened :tongue:

Probably best off contacting the course convenor to see how that might be handled. Not sure if there is any formal way to take leave or to make up days later for pre-booked events.
Original post by artful_lounger
Presumably you mean June 2024 as June 2023 has already happened :tongue:

Probably best off contacting the course convenor to see how that might be handled. Not sure if there is any formal way to take leave or to make up days later for pre-booked events.

Whoops I meant 2024!! I keep thinking it’s only 2022 haha. Okay! I might email them in a few days and speak to them. A lot of it is already pre-booked with money spent, so I will need to take the days off somehow. Just frustrated it’s not a weekend. I didn’t even clock it 😖
Original post by leftbytheseaside
Whoops I meant 2024!! I keep thinking it’s only 2022 haha. Okay! I might email them in a few days and speak to them. A lot of it is already pre-booked with money spent, so I will need to take the days off somehow. Just frustrated it’s not a weekend. I didn’t even clock it 😖

Hopefully since it's quite far in advance it is possible to plan around...not really sure how PGCE programmes work with regards to leave but they should at least be able to tell you in advance!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
They usually don't like it one bit, especially right by the end when the idea is that you are working with serious intensity to iron out all previous niggles from the prior school etc. If you get ahead of it now then there's something of a chance. All you can do is ask.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
.not really sure how PGCE programmes work with regards to leave

The only time off is the school holidays, basically.
Original post by gjd800
The only time off is the school holidays, basically.

Ah I guess that makes sense...unfortunate for the OP :frown:

Good to know for future reference though!
Reply 7
It's best to talk to your provider. During mine, I had a fellow trainee take time off for a holiday which they booked based on the local school's holiday calendar, but their placement school was then in a different area with different holiday dates. One finished her final placement a week early for an operation, and others who had commitments come up. Our uni and their placement schools were okay with it all.

I wanted to go to Download Festival this year, but it was during my last week of placement, so I didn't get a ticket. My placement mentor told me I should have just booked it and gone. :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by leftbytheseaside
Hello! I’m starting my PGCE in September and I’m very excited to begin and get stuck in. However, I’ve just checked my diary and realised that a 3 day commitment I have in June 2023 is across a Wednesday-Friday period when I thought it was Friday-Sunday. I have a wedding up north, and it will be during the third to last week of my 2nd placement school. Basically 3-4 weeks before the end of the course. I don’t have any other commitments at all booked across the course, and I plan to have full attendance (if I don’t get sick), but I really will need this time off. Does anyone know how easy it’ll be for me to explain to them this situation? It is not something I feel comfortable cancelling as it’s an important event, and I don’t want to lie or pull a sickie either. I am happy to complete a further 3 days when I return if necessary for QTS, etc.

I think this seems reasonable. Especially as you are giving so much notice. Just let everyone in question know sooner than later and be aware you may need to leave cover work for your students when the time comes.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending