The Student Room Group

Newham collegiate sixth form centre + Predicted grades

Their application deadline was recently and my school used botched grade boundaries for the mocks meaning my predicted grades don’t meet their requirements. I applied to do: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Economics and I’m predicted: Biology 7, Chemistry 7, Physics 9, maths 7, English lang + lit 7, History 9, Sociology 9.
I have another set of mock exams in February/March, if I do well on those do I still have a chance of getting in?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lizuyu
Their application deadline was recently and my school used botched grade boundaries for the mocks meaning my predicted grades don’t meet their requirements. I applied to do: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Economics and I’m predicted: Biology 7, Chemistry 7, Physics 9, maths 7, English lang + lit 7, History 9, Sociology 9.
I have another set of mock exams in February/March, if I do well on those do I still have a chance of getting in?

If the deadline is before the mocks, send in your results. Email them saying that you have mocks very soon and ask if you could send them those results instead as you feel like that would be a better reflection of your academic potential. I did that and the sixth forms I emailed were fine with it. But this obviously depends on the Sixth Form, as the ones I applied for aren't nearly as competitive as NCS. Your predicted grades are already really good so they might let you take the entrance exam anyways.
Reply 2
Original post by Lizuyu

There are students who go and contact sixth forms/colleges on results day.If you have really good grades,you can go /contact the school on results days,and they might ask you to come with your results certificate and ID
(edited 1 year ago)
(Original post by JustAnotherFloop)If the deadline is before the mocks, send in your results. Email them saying that you have mocks very soon and ask if you could send them those results instead as you feel like that would be a better reflection of your academic potential. I did that and the sixth forms I emailed were fine with it. But this obviously depends on the Sixth Form, as the ones I applied for aren't nearly as competitive as NCS. Your predicted grades are already really good so they might let you take the entrance exam anyways.

WHAT theres an entrance exam for ncs i thought it was an interview no wya this is new info
Original post by anonymous.2003
(Original post by JustAnotherFloop)If the deadline is before the mocks, send in your results. Email them saying that you have mocks very soon and ask if you could send them those results instead as you feel like that would be a better reflection of your academic potential. I did that and the sixth forms I emailed were fine with it. But this obviously depends on the Sixth Form, as the ones I applied for aren't nearly as competitive as NCS. Your predicted grades are already really good so they might let you take the entrance exam anyways.

WHAT theres an entrance exam for ncs i thought it was an interview no wya this is new info

I actually looked through their site and there was no mention of entrance exam so please disregard that part. I just assumed there was as a lot of super competitive sixth forms have entrance exams (Like grammar schools) so I thought automatically they had them to.
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
I actually looked through their site and there was no mention of entrance exam so please disregard that part. I just assumed there was as a lot of super competitive sixth forms have entrance exams (Like grammar schools) so I thought automatically they had them to.

ohh right okay thanks for clarifying
what ipad do you get at ncs
I’m a year 12 at the NCS so I can answer any questions you may have.
I personally got in with four 9s, three 8s, four 7s and a 6, so it’s definitely possible that you get in. When it comes to the interview, really don’t stress about it. It’s very relaxed and if I recall correctly my one wasn’t even 1 to 1. It’s more about discussing wether NCS is right for you rather than whether you are right for NCS.
One last thing, if it ever comes to making a choice between Brampton manor and NCS, pick NCS. Trustt.
Original post by Heretogetanswers
I personally got in with four 9s, three 8s, four 7s and a 6, so it’s definitely possible that you get in. When it comes to the interview, really don’t stress about it. It’s very relaxed and if I recall correctly my one wasn’t even 1 to 1. It’s more about discussing wether NCS is right for you rather than whether you are right for NCS.
One last thing, if it ever comes to making a choice between Brampton manor and NCS, pick NCS. Trustt.

which ipad do you get
Original post by Mohib.M
which ipad do you get

Ipad 7th Generation. Its not brand new, its left over from the previous Year 13s. And we do have to return it once we leave NCS.
is it any sort of fun or just stress? and are you allowed to go out for lunch? is everyone nice
(edited 1 year ago)
Its actually quite fun. Personally, I think its much better than when I was doing GCSEs, due to the fact that now I only do the subjects I enjoy, rather than mandatory boring stuff. There is an increased workload from GCSEs, thats for certain, but its definitely managable. If you're looking for official numbers; they recommend you do 3 hours of independent revision per day, including homework time and the 1 hour study session you get at school. They recommend 4/5 hours a day on weekends, though very few people actually do this much work from my experience. Its more of a "if you do this much work properly, then we can pretty much guarantee an exceptional A level score". Anything more is seen even by teachers as a bit too much.

You are allowed to leave schoolgrounds for lunch.

Everyone I met has been very nice so far! Our forms are mixed (they contain both Y12 and Y13s) and even the Y13s have been very fun. The teachers especially are all very cool. If I'm being honest some of them are a little bit odd, but in a good way. You can really tell all of them are very passionate in the subjects they teach (special shoutout to the physics and maths department, Dr Cardenas and Mr Singh are two of the best teachers I've come across)

How comes you say NCS over Brampton
I know some friends over at Brampton from my old school, and from what I have heard it’s a bit more tense there. The overall quality of teaching seems to be better at NCS, due to some Brampton teachers being overworked or not being very good at teaching.
Brampton has a few advantages over NCS as well. They definitely move through the course faster than us at NCS, though this is a double edged sword as some of my friends struggle with keeping up with the content. Their principal also left a better impression than the NCSs acting principal, and they have more sports activities in school time. We get no sports here, except after school voluntary activities.
I would say the main and biggest advantage of NCS over Brampton is the overall working atmosphere. Both schools are selective, and both aim quite high, but the atmosphere at Brampton is very different than here. You only need to attend both schools’ open evenings to see the difference, but essentially Brampton felt much more brutal than NCS. Brampton is also more packed. NCS has a larger historic building, we use the Newham town hall for assemblies, and a large building for private study sessions. At Brampton, you have three crammed concrete buildings next to a secondary school, and you aren’t allowed to leave school grounds in lunch.
Overall, the NCS simply felt more welcoming, and you can see the effects of this if you ask a few alumni about the school. Right now we’re in mock exam season, and I know there is cheating going on in Brampton (my old friend is one of the cheaters) while I’ve heard no such thing here at NCS.
Of course, this is all an outside view of Brampton. It would be nice to see someone from Brampton challenge my impression of the school, to paint a more accurate picture. What I would recommend Y11 who are planning on applying to these schools to do is this: attend the open evenings, ask the alumni their opinion on the opposite school, and still, APPLY TO BOTH SCHOOLS. Although I believe NCS is a bit better than Brampton, they are both still amazing schools, and ideally on GCSE results day you will have multiple offers, one from both schools.
I know some friends over at Brampton from my old school, and from what I have heard it’s a bit more tense there. The overall quality of teaching seems to be better at NCS, due to some Brampton teachers being overworked or not being very good at teaching.
Brampton has a few advantages over NCS as well. They definitely move through the course faster than us at NCS, though this is a double edged sword as some of my friends struggle with keeping up with the content. Their principal also left a better impression than the NCSs acting principal, and they have more sports activities in school time. We get no sports here, except after school voluntary activities.
I would say the main and biggest advantage of NCS over Brampton is the overall working atmosphere. Both schools are selective, and both aim quite high, but the atmosphere at Brampton is very different than here. You only need to attend both schools’ open evenings to see the difference, but essentially Brampton felt much more brutal than NCS. Brampton is also more packed. NCS has a larger historic building, we use the Newham town hall for assemblies, and a large building for private study sessions. At Brampton, you have three crammed concrete buildings next to a secondary school, and you aren’t allowed to leave school grounds in lunch.
Overall, the NCS simply felt more welcoming, and you can see the effects of this if you ask a few alumni about the school. Right now we’re in mock exam season, and I know there is cheating going on in Brampton (my old friend is one of the cheaters) while I’ve heard no such thing here at NCS.
Of course, this is all an outside view of Brampton. It would be nice to see someone from Brampton challenge my impression of the school, to paint a more accurate picture. What I would recommend Y11 who are planning on applying to these schools to do is this: attend the open evenings, ask the alumni their opinion on the opposite school, and still, APPLY TO BOTH SCHOOLS. Although I believe NCS is a bit better than Brampton, they are both still amazing schools, and ideally on GCSE results day you will have multiple offers, one from both schools.

Thank you for genuinely answering my question
I see both as top top schools but icl I thought NCS was more stricter and had more pressure within . For NCS can you join more than one work experience for example medicine and finance? Also have you done the code breakers and polish and etiquette scheme and how was it?
Is NCS smaller than Brampton in terms of overall pupil
Original post by tasnim001
Thank you for genuinely answering my question
I see both as top top schools but icl I thought NCS was more stricter and had more pressure within . For NCS can you join more than one work experience for example medicine and finance? Also have you done the code breakers and polish and etiquette scheme and how was it?
Is NCS smaller than Brampton in terms of overall pupil

No problem at all. When I was looking to apply to these schools the lack of information was quite annoying.
At the NCS i personally havent felt "too much" pressure. They expect you to do well, yes, but they don't expect you to ace your A-Levels on your own. Its their job to help you get good grades and end up in a place you want, but its your job to get those grades. There is some pressure which naturally arises as a result of all the effort the school puts in - they provide ipads, revision resources, after-school sessions and inform you of lots of opportunities to take action. The teachers are very supportive and understanding. If you are slacking off, not doing any homework, being inattentive in classes, etc. then yeah the school gets quite annoyed and you feel the pressure. But assuming you put in the effort - its alright.

As far as I know you can join as many work experiences or extracurricular activities as you can handle. We get tons of emails about stuff like that, at least one or two a week. This morning I got an email about a 2 week work experience opportunity from BCLP law firm. I havent done code breakers as it was confilcting with something else I was doing, but I remember we did get an email about it. I have no clue what the polish and etiquette scheme is.

NCS a bit smaller than brampton, I believe brampton has around 350/400 students per year group while NCS has closer to 300. In terms of how crowded it feels, the classrooms are all sufficiently large in most subjects. The only department that struggles a bit is Maths due to almost everyone doing maths. As the year progresses and people start dropping their 4th A level, it gets better.
Reply 16

If I apply on results day to the NCS with improved predicted grades would I be able to get in
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lizuyu
If I apply on results day to the NCS with improvised predicted grades would I be able to get in

hey, i literally applied to ncs the night before GCSE results day when my mum told me to and got in the next day when they called me and asked me to enrol. So don't stress at all.
Reply 18
Original post by tatakae
hey, i literally applied to ncs the night before GCSE results day when my mum told me to and got in the next day when they called me and asked me to enrol. So don't stress at all.

Hello I’m going on holiday the day after I get my results how will this work?
Reply 19
No problem at all. When I was looking to apply to these schools the lack of information was quite annoying.
At the NCS i personally havent felt "too much" pressure. They expect you to do well, yes, but they don't expect you to ace your A-Levels on your own. Its their job to help you get good grades and end up in a place you want, but its your job to get those grades. There is some pressure which naturally arises as a result of all the effort the school puts in - they provide ipads, revision resources, after-school sessions and inform you of lots of opportunities to take action. The teachers are very supportive and understanding. If you are slacking off, not doing any homework, being inattentive in classes, etc. then yeah the school gets quite annoyed and you feel the pressure. But assuming you put in the effort - its alright.

As far as I know you can join as many work experiences or extracurricular activities as you can handle. We get tons of emails about stuff like that, at least one or two a week. This morning I got an email about a 2 week work experience opportunity from BCLP law firm. I havent done code breakers as it was confilcting with something else I was doing, but I remember we did get an email about it. I have no clue what the polish and etiquette scheme is.

NCS a bit smaller than brampton, I believe brampton has around 350/400 students per year group while NCS has closer to 300. In terms of how crowded it feels, the classrooms are all sufficiently large in most subjects. The only department that struggles a bit is Maths due to almost everyone doing maths. As the year progresses and people start dropping their 4th A level, it gets better.

Is NCS strict about dress codes and also how is social life like there?

Quick Reply

Latest