The Student Room Group

Economics Graduate Course Options

Hi everyone! Was wondering if anyone knows of any other universities offering courses similar to the Birkbeck Economics Graduate Diploma course (where you don't require a previous undergrad degree in Econ)? Trying to compare a few options. Also if anyone has done the Birkbeck course and thoughts on entering the job market immediately after - or is a Master's/PhD essential for employment in the industry?
Thanks!
Original post by jjsk
Hi everyone! Was wondering if anyone knows of any other universities offering courses similar to the Birkbeck Economics Graduate Diploma course (where you don't require a previous undergrad degree in Econ)? Trying to compare a few options. Also if anyone has done the Birkbeck course and thoughts on entering the job market immediately after - or is a Master's/PhD essential for employment in the industry?
Thanks!

Was wondering if anyone knows of any other universities offering courses similar to the Birkbeck Economics Graduate Diploma course (where you don't require a previous undergrad degree in Econ)?
There are roughly 10 in the country that offers the postgrad diploma (some will require you to complete the integrated master's on top).
You can find most of them here: https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/pgs/search?course=economics&qualification=pgdip
The rest you would need to use Google, in particular the page is missing those from Open Uni, Kent, Warwick, Cambridge, and Trinity College Dublin (if you're feeling adventurous).

Also if anyone has done the Birkbeck course and thoughts on entering the job market immediately after - or is a Master's/PhD essential for employment in the industry?
That depends on what you specifically want to do.
If you want to work in the economics department of a government department, it's going to be ridiculously compeititve e.g. I have come across a graduate from a relatively top end uni with an 88% average throughout his bachelor's degree and still couldn't get in.
On the other hand, I have come across various profiles of people with science (chemistry/physics) or economics masters' working in think tanks, and they seem to be doing OK. Having said that, these people tend to be from relatively high end universities.

I haven't done the course at Birkbeck, so I can't comment on it.
Reply 2
That's really helpful, thanks! :h:
Original post by jjsk
Thanks!

As has already been stated, there's about a dozen courses which are easily found via a quick Google search. Birkbeck is often seen a very solid option, lots of consultancies, government departments and the Bank of England send their policy advisors there for the GDE - partly because it allows part time study over 2yrs - but this has meant that it's built up a very solid course rep over the years for the GDE.

In terms of going straight into employment after the GDE, I guess technically it simply depends what you want to go into. However, the GDE doesn't make up for no undergrad in economics in my experience. People do the GDE so that they can also do a master's, or because they did undergrad a decade or two ago and want a refresher. It's not really used as a standalone to enter the jobs market. Most economics jobs require a master's anyway, so bit of a mute point - exceptions being the GES, a small number of BoE roles and a couple of consultancies - but these would require undergrad Econ anyway, not the GDE.

Whether a PhD beyond a MSc is needed, well this just depends on what kind of roles you're looking to apply to. Some do, most don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending