The Student Room Group

UNIQ 2023 at Oxford, English

By some miracle, I was accepted into English for UNIQ. Honestly, my first choice was Anthropology (rejected) and whilst I do like English, I'm terrified that I am going to be so lost whilst I'm there, since it's not my biggest passion. I applied because I felt like I hadn't done enough to prepare for UCAS.

Of course, I'm scared of looking like a right idiot by not knowing anything, but I also want to be prepared so that I can get the most out of the experience instead of being confused the whole time. Any advice on well.. anything I can do at all? Any books that any English student would consider a must-read for university or for general experience? I've been in a reading slump for YEARS (I really love emotional books that give you an alternative, changed perspective on life. Tuesdays with Morrie was a favourite). Any current social topics or movements that would be good to read up on? Any historical movements or context?

I don't expect to become an expert in the next 3 months as a 17-year-old from a deprived state school - again, I just want to get the most out of this :smile: and actually enjoy it!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TeaOnRice
By some miracle, I was accepted into English for UNIQ. Honestly, my first choice was Anthropology (rejected) and whilst I do like English, I'm terrified that I am going to be so lost whilst I'm there, since it's not my biggest passion. I applied because I felt like I hadn't done enough to prepare for UCAS.

Of course, I'm scared of looking like a right idiot by not knowing anything, but I also want to be prepared so that I can get the most out of the experience instead of being confused the whole time. Any advice on well.. anything I can do at all? Any books that any English student would consider a must-read for university or for general experience? I've been in a reading slump for YEARS (I really love emotional books that give you an alternative, changed perspective on life. Tuesdays with Morrie was a favourite). Any current social topics or movements that would be good to read up on? Any historical movements or context?

I don't expect to become an expert in the next 3 months as a 17-year-old from a deprived state school - again, I just want to get the most out of this :smile: and actually enjoy it!

Congratulations!! Would you like to be added to a group chat full of other UNIQ people? If so, send me your instagram account :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by WhoeverImNot
Congratulations!! Would you like to be added to a group chat full of other UNIQ people? If so, send me your instagram account :smile:

hey! could you PM me (I'm a new user so cant) so I can send you mine to get added? thank you xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending