The Student Room Group

I feel worthless with no plan. I will never be successful

Hi,

I’m in Year 13 studying Criminology, Business, and Computing BTECs. I just feel so lost on what I want to do and I feel as though I’m not going to achieve a well paid, respected career.

For my GCSES which were in covid (teacher assessed grades) my mental health really took a toll. I ended up with only 4s and 5s.

The problem is I feel as though these will hold me back. Throughout my life I have never been good at maths and I think a lot of it is down to bad experiences such as always being bottom set and being friends with people in top sets. They made me feel worthless with the fact they were so good and the fact they used it against me to belittle me. and I would be embarrassed standing outside my bottom set class even though I felt I wasn’t challenged.

I really wish I had high GCSEs in maths and science so I could’ve done a better A Level. I feel as though I don’t have any options and I dream of doing something that is respected and well paid, and something that requires hard work to achieve.

Everytime I research careers I might like I feel as though maths would hold me back. It also makes me sad seeing the success of everyone getting into unis and achieving such great things - knowing I won’t.

Right now I feel completely worthless. I’m going to end up doing a job that makes me feel medicore and won’t pay the bills. I’m planning on doing a gap year.

I want a good career which requires me to put in the effort for - I’m not lazy. I just don’t know what to do. I just wanted to vent. Everyone is better than me and I feel academically worthless and stupid.

I don’t know what I aim to do with this post, but maybe someone can console me and offer some advice. My mental health has been ****.
Original post by Jacob1617
Hi,

I’m in Year 13 studying Criminology, Business, and Computing BTECs. I just feel so lost on what I want to do and I feel as though I’m not going to achieve a well paid, respected career.

For my GCSES which were in covid (teacher assessed grades) my mental health really took a toll. I ended up with only 4s and 5s.

The problem is I feel as though these will hold me back. Throughout my life I have never been good at maths and I think a lot of it is down to bad experiences such as always being bottom set and being friends with people in top sets. They made me feel worthless with the fact they were so good and the fact they used it against me to belittle me. and I would be embarrassed standing outside my bottom set class even though I felt I wasn’t challenged.

I really wish I had high GCSEs in maths and science so I could’ve done a better A Level. I feel as though I don’t have any options and I dream of doing something that is respected and well paid, and something that requires hard work to achieve.

Everytime I research careers I might like I feel as though maths would hold me back. It also makes me sad seeing the success of everyone getting into unis and achieving such great things - knowing I won’t.

Right now I feel completely worthless. I’m going to end up doing a job that makes me feel medicore and won’t pay the bills. I’m planning on doing a gap year.

I want a good career which requires me to put in the effort for - I’m not lazy. I just don’t know what to do. I just wanted to vent. Everyone is better than me and I feel academically worthless and stupid.

I don’t know what I aim to do with this post, but maybe someone can console me and offer some advice. My mental health has been ****.

If you're "planning on doing a gap year", and feel "as though maths would hold me back", have you thought about retaking your Maths GCSE during that gap year? (I realise that "retaking" isn't quite the right word, as your original grade was teacher-assessed.)

Generally speaking, one set of qualifications is a stepping stone to the next. So your GCSE grades got you access to the BTECs you're doing right now. Those BTECs could lead you to a job, an apprenticeship, or a degree. With the exception of Maths and English Language, your GCSE teacher-assessed grades will have little impact on your ability to secure any of those opportunities - it's your BTEC grades which will be the primary factor.

So, focussing on the future rather than the past, did you have any particular career in mind? (Also, what Maths and English Language grades do you have?)
Hi,

Perhaps you could also consider doing a foundation year? Many Russel group universities offer them provided you went to a state school and if you explain the circumstances of why your GCSE's didn't go to plan (covid will count don't worry), instead of doing a gap year you can do a foundation year to prepare you for a course your a-levels wouldn't have otherwise made you eligible for and apply for it that way. Also consider post-16 apprenticeships because I don't know the details but one of my friends went straight to work in an apprenticeship with Barclays Bank after GCSE and she now gets payed 25k a year with the promise of a formal job when she turns 18. If you get a good GCSE maths grade during your gap year you could potentially apply for something like that as a route into a career rather than going straight to uni!
Hi,

You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-relate, they have a chat advisor

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being

Loads of options such as HNC, hnd, apprenticeship, open university etc

Quick Reply

Latest