The Student Room Group

Period pain remedies?

Hi guys
Do you have any natural remedies that work for you in period pain?
I’m trying to cut down and using too much painkillers and relieve it naturally but was wondering if you guys have any other options:frown:(
Reply 1
Personally, I'd just keeping using painkillers, if they work. Some people find using hot water bottles helpful but they do nothing for me. TENS machines can also help (they are not really a natural remedy, but still worth looking into if tablets are what you have an issue with).
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys
I’m trying to cut down and using too much painkillers and relieve it naturally but was wondering if you guys have any other options:frown:(

Hot water bottles for cramps.
Reply 3
The usual painkillers can be used (paracetamol/ibuprofen) or there are some specific products that some people get on prescription - mefanamic acid. Some people find the muscle relaxant Buscopan helpful.

Are you on any form of hormonal contraception? They can lessen (or even stop) periods, and help with the pain. You can even take multiple packs in a row and have fewer periods per year.

Have you tried period sex? That is completely natural and can really help with period cramps. Not some people's cup of tea - but give it a go. Similarly, some gentle exercise or even something that acts as a distraction.
Reply 4
I've heard great things about Panadeine extra (if you can still get it otc back in the UK)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys

Like @black tea suggested hot water bottles can be helpful (also electric blankets). In my experience, they can help, but it depends on how bad it is :sadnod: If painkillers aren't doing anything your GP might be useful to visit to discuss alternatives like birth control or alternatives to painkillers or different types of medicine to help. Someone below mentioned mefamenic acid which can be helpful (been prescribed it myself and it did help).

Quick Reply

Latest