The Student Room Group

henrietta barnett

i got an offer from hbs what is it like from anyone who alr goes there? like is it strict and what r the people there like etc
Reply 1
Original post by imcr1122
i got an offer from hbs what is it like from anyone who alr goes there? like is it strict and what r the people there like etc

Omg same I know no one there
Reply 2
Two of my nieces go there and they are given a lot of homework and the journey takes a long time on the school coach/bus. :biggrin: lol
Reply 3

I have been going to HBS for the last 2 years and am going to join Year 9 this Summer. When I joined in Year 7 I knew no one either.
Tbh it's really not strict at all. There are no punishments like detention or 'bad notes' or anything and the homework is like 30 to 60 mins max. Some days we get no homework at all. And normally we can just do our homework in the coach on the way to school or before the lesson. The teachers here are good. Some are like amazing but you may have heard that many teachers left this year which is true, but that was because of the new headmistress we had, but this year she left and therefore next year we'll be getting a new head, so hopefully the employment situation will get better. The students here are actually really nice and it's easy to make friends. The only problem with the students is their parents, who tend to be really pressurizing (thank god mine aren't) and tbh that causes a lot of competition and stress, but the school always encourages us not to worry. The first few weeks may seem a bit overwhelming due to tests, homework etc but you'll get used to it. And tbh after Year 7 people try a lot less harder on doing homework and revising constantly. The advice I'd give you is that PLS don't stress in Year 7 just because everyone else seems so much smarter or your parents expect you being top. Not to be boastful or anything but people in my year think I'm really smart. I've got like the highest in my year for some tests, which I'm proud of, but tbh I also like realllly suck at some subjects. I'd say instead of doing good in all tests, focus on what you enjoy and don't stress on the subjects you don't, because you're gonna drop them anyway.

Oh, and one more thing. We have like a Miss Trunchball in our school. I can't say her name of course but she's a P.E teacher who is really annoying. And worst of all, biased. If you're really good at P.E or a big suck-up, than you don't have to worry. But if you're average, bad or just want to stand up for yourself on what's right, than well it just sucks. Once she yelled at me for wearing a religious necklace in a P.E lesson. She told me to take it off, which is understandable since I'm not allowed to wear it in P.E, but she also yelled at me for wearing 'ornamental jewellery' at school. I told her it was religious but she didn't believe me and called me a liar and a bunch of other stuff. She loves people who are good at P.E, and always picks them out openly as 'fit' and 'healthy' while she literally calls others 'below average'. She yelled at a girl in my class for vomiting once, calling her 'unfit'. And trust me, that girl isn't unfit.

Sorry I had to write that paragraph. I just felt so angry about her. I hope she sees this post or any other member of staff sees it and takes action. There's so much more I'd like to say but I can't do that without revealing her identity, which is illegal, I think. Anyway, hopefully I wont't get her next year. Trust me, this school is actually really good. It's so worth it.
Reply 4
Original post by ohmygod777
I have been going to HBS for the last 2 years and am going to join Year 9 this Summer. When I joined in Year 7 I knew no one either.
Tbh it's really not strict at all. There are no punishments like detention or 'bad notes' or anything and the homework is like 30 to 60 mins max. Some days we get no homework at all. And normally we can just do our homework in the coach on the way to school or before the lesson. The teachers here are good. Some are like amazing but you may have heard that many teachers left this year which is true, but that was because of the new headmistress we had, but this year she left and therefore next year we'll be getting a new head, so hopefully the employment situation will get better. The students here are actually really nice and it's easy to make friends. The only problem with the students is their parents, who tend to be really pressurizing (thank god mine aren't) and tbh that causes a lot of competition and stress, but the school always encourages us not to worry. The first few weeks may seem a bit overwhelming due to tests, homework etc but you'll get used to it. And tbh after Year 7 people try a lot less harder on doing homework and revising constantly. The advice I'd give you is that PLS don't stress in Year 7 just because everyone else seems so much smarter or your parents expect you being top. Not to be boastful or anything but people in my year think I'm really smart. I've got like the highest in my year for some tests, which I'm proud of, but tbh I also like realllly suck at some subjects. I'd say instead of doing good in all tests, focus on what you enjoy and don't stress on the subjects you don't, because you're gonna drop them anyway.

Oh, and one more thing. We have like a Miss Trunchball in our school. I can't say her name of course but she's a P.E teacher who is really annoying. And worst of all, biased. If you're really good at P.E or a big suck-up, than you don't have to worry. But if you're average, bad or just want to stand up for yourself on what's right, than well it just sucks. Once she yelled at me for wearing a religious necklace in a P.E lesson. She told me to take it off, which is understandable since I'm not allowed to wear it in P.E, but she also yelled at me for wearing 'ornamental jewellery' at school. I told her it was religious but she didn't believe me and called me a liar and a bunch of other stuff. She loves people who are good at P.E, and always picks them out openly as 'fit' and 'healthy' while she literally calls others 'below average'. She yelled at a girl in my class for vomiting once, calling her 'unfit'. And trust me, that girl isn't unfit.

Sorry I had to write that paragraph. I just felt so angry about her. I hope she sees this post or any other member of staff sees it and takes action. There's so much more I'd like to say but I can't do that without revealing her identity, which is illegal, I think. Anyway, hopefully I wont't get her next year. Trust me, this school is actually really good. It's so worth it.

last parts so funny ik exactly who ur talking about - pe dep cares less and less about their classes every year though so hopefully they'll calm down with yours in ks4/5
Reply 5
hey im going into sixth form next year too! in terms of strictness it's definitely more lenient than most schools - most teachers are friendly and the teacher-student dynamic at the schl is great in my opinion - quality of teaching differs from teacher to teacher, as does their passion for teaching, and it does mean that we do a lot of self-teaching outside lessons but that goes for a lot of sixth forms i guess
our year group is pretty welcoming id say but id suggest making loads of friends in the first few weeks + try to talk to every 'group' of friends,, but yeah the general environment is quite relaxed and not stressful at all unless its exam season

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending