The Student Room Group

Unsure about switching degree course

Hi all, I'm currently studying Mathematics at Warwick, a highly reputable course, but am considering a course change into Biomedical Engineering.

The main reason this came about was that I am questioning much of what I am learning and how it will ever be used in the real world; endless lemmas, proofs and definitions, which I don't really have a passion for learning (of course, I do enjoy some modules, specifically programming and modelling ones) . Instead, I feel it would be much more helpful to gain some hands-on skills like in an engineering degree. Specifically, I've gained an interest in the biomedical sector since starting university, since helping people has become a priority in my future career.

I applied via UCAS a couple months ago as a precaution and now have an offer from Imperial and UCL to study Biomedical Engineering. I feel like my learning experience will probably be more enjoyable on an Engineering degree rather than Maths, but I'm unsure if it's worth the extra 2 years and wasted year of student fees (2 years left on my current BSc, as opposed to starting a new 4 year MEng).

I feel as though Maths is also more broad (the reason I originally decided to study it is because I thought it would be easy to enter most sectors but it seems Engineering is a tough sector to get into without some kind of Engineering degree), so it could be beneficial if I decide to change paths later on. But I've also heard that engineering degrees are very versatile.

I've heard a potential route is to complete my BSc here at Warwick and then take a Masters in Biomedical Engineering, but I've been told that I'll be at a disadvantage to those who did the MEng, and I won't build up connections on my course as well, which is apparently a big plus to studying engineering at Imperial for undergrad; to get involved in startups and the like which really interests me.

So effectively I want to know if there's anything I can do during my time at Warwick (independent projects / internship / extra-curricular) wise that would put me on level footing or even better than an MEng student to get hands on in the engineering industry, specifically biomedical.

And are there any career prospects which will become closed off to me if I make the switch? (the ones I know about are statistics-based roles like quant and analyst, but these don't interest me much anyway)

I'm settled in at Warwick, and would be sad to leave, but I will if it makes the most sense to do so
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
bump
Original post by anon7799
Hi all, I'm currently studying Mathematics at Warwick, a highly reputable course, but am considering a course change into Biomedical Engineering.

The main reason this came about was that I am questioning much of what I am learning and how it will ever be used in the real world; endless lemmas, proofs and definitions, which I don't really have a passion for learning (of course, I do enjoy some modules, specifically programming and modelling ones) . Instead, I feel it would be much more helpful to gain some hands-on skills like in an engineering degree. Specifically, I've gained an interest in the biomedical sector since starting university, since helping people has become a priority in my future career.

I applied via UCAS a couple months ago as a precaution and now have an offer from Imperial and UCL to study Biomedical Engineering. I feel like my learning experience will probably be more enjoyable on an Engineering degree rather than Maths, but I'm unsure if it's worth the extra 2 years and wasted year of student fees (2 years left on my current BSc, as opposed to starting a new 4 year MEng).

I feel as though Maths is also more broad (the reason I originally decided to study it is because I thought it would be easy to enter most sectors but it seems Engineering is a tough sector to get into without some kind of Engineering degree), so it could be beneficial if I decide to change paths later on. But I've also heard that engineering degrees are very versatile.

I've heard a potential route is to complete my BSc here at Warwick and then take a Masters in Biomedical Engineering, but I've been told that I'll be at a disadvantage to those who did the MEng, and I won't build up connections on my course as well, which is apparently a big plus to studying engineering at Imperial for undergrad; to get involved in startups and the like which really interests me.

So effectively I want to know if there's anything I can do during my time at Warwick (independent projects / internship / extra-curricular) wise that would put me on level footing or even better than an MEng student to get hands on in the engineering industry, specifically biomedical.

And are there any career prospects which will become closed off to me if I make the switch? (the ones I know about are statistics-based roles like quant and analyst, but these don't interest me much anyway)

I'm settled in at Warwick, and would be sad to leave, but I will if it makes the most sense to do so

Engineering degrees are much more theoretical than hands-on. Biomedical engineering isn't the best option for career opportunities either.

If you enjoy programming and mathematical modelling, there are plenty of career opportunities based on them. Programming roles (think software development, tech) are in high demand and pay very well, for example. There are also lots of options involving mathematical modelling too (which will also involve some coding). Finance is probably what most people think of first, but virtually mathematical modelling is likely used in virtually every industry. You could do healthcare modelling, or perhaps some sort of computational biology if you like the bio side of things.
What is it you actually want to do after graduating? A degree in engineering (biomedical or otherwise) does not open any specific doors to you other than engineering jobs (and even then, there are a range of modelling based roles in the engineering sector a maths degree would probably be a suitable background for). Most jobs don't require any specific degree, and the "real world experience" is gained through relevant internships and similar, not through the degree.

Also while the style of maths is somewhat different (more like A-level in the sense of analytically solving problems), as above it's still fundamentally an academic degree. It's not a degree in taking building engines with your hands or anything like that, it's learning the physical underpinnings and mathematical modelling of those systems. They then get built by techs, or very often, factory automation.

I don't really think switching course in this case is actually going to address the issue - if you want to engage in "real world" issues and experiences, you need to do that for yourself. By pursuing relevant internships, developing personal projects in your free time etc. You need to be lining up internships to be employable on graduation anyway (no matter what degree you do at any uni, with the exception of medicine).

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Engineering degrees are much more theoretical than hands-on. Biomedical engineering isn't the best option for career opportunities either.

If you enjoy programming and mathematical modelling, there are plenty of career opportunities based on them. Programming roles (think software development, tech) are in high demand and pay very well, for example. There are also lots of options involving mathematical modelling too (which will also involve some coding). Finance is probably what most people think of first, but virtually mathematical modelling is likely used in virtually every industry. You could do healthcare modelling, or perhaps some sort of computational biology if you like the bio side of things.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've heard that Biomedical Engineering graduates are often outdone by ME, EE and CS graduates, depending on the role. Do you have any recommendations on how I can best research the computational sides of the field and if that's right for me? Or if I decide I want to do something more hands-on, the kinds of projects I should do to develop these skills in my own time?
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
What is it you actually want to do after graduating? A degree in engineering (biomedical or otherwise) does not open any specific doors to you other than engineering jobs (and even then, there are a range of modelling based roles in the engineering sector a maths degree would probably be a suitable background for). Most jobs don't require any specific degree, and the "real world experience" is gained through relevant internships and similar, not through the degree.

Also while the style of maths is somewhat different (more like A-level in the sense of analytically solving problems), as above it's still fundamentally an academic degree. It's not a degree in taking building engines with your hands or anything like that, it's learning the physical underpinnings and mathematical modelling of those systems. They then get built by techs, or very often, factory automation.

I don't really think switching course in this case is actually going to address the issue - if you want to engage in "real world" issues and experiences, you need to do that for yourself. By pursuing relevant internships, developing personal projects in your free time etc. You need to be lining up internships to be employable on graduation anyway (no matter what degree you do at any uni, with the exception of medicine).

Spoiler

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I am interested in developing this real-world expertise in my own time, especially since I'll be able to take a few relevant engineering modules in my 2nd and 3rd year of my maths degree (a couple that have been recommended are solid and fluid mechanics). You mention the use of developing personal projects, do you have any idea of how I could get started with that? I'm also trying to do more research into the biomedical sector to find where I can see myself fitting in, but am struggling to find good ways to do this, any recommendations? Thanks!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I am interested in developing this real-world expertise in my own time, especially since I'll be able to take a few relevant engineering modules in my 2nd and 3rd year of my maths degree (a couple that have been recommended are solid and fluid mechanics). You mention the use of developing personal projects, do you have any idea of how I could get started with that? I'm also trying to do more research into the biomedical sector to find where I can see myself fitting in, but am struggling to find good ways to do this, any recommendations? Thanks!

In terms of "real world expertise" I meant more getting actual internships and doing actual work - this is the main thing employers are looking for. Someone who is very good at taking exams doesn't necessarily translate to a very good employee!

For the personal projects I was thinking more in terms of coding/programming projects, of which there are any number of things you can do and/or get involved in. The key would be documenting your work in a portfolio of sorts on github or something.

If you're into analogue electronics though there's a fair bit you can do in that regime with just some basic stuff you can pick up off of ebay and hardware stores (oscope, breadboard, soldering iron and some solder maybe, plus various electronic components). There's also a thriving amateur (analogue) electronics community across the world who can probably have some ideas for stuff to do - this can range from fairly basic stuff (ham radio and such) to potentially more involved things (you can make your own radio telescope, although this will depend a bit where you live and how much money and time you are willing to sink into things).
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've heard that Biomedical Engineering graduates are often outdone by ME, EE and CS graduates, depending on the role.

Yeah, it'd probably be better to do one of those (particularly the later two) at undergrad, then do a biomedical engineering masters (or just go straight into employment in the sector).

Do you have any recommendations on how I can best research the computational sides of the field and if that's right for me?

I'm not too sure. What about enquiring more into the research that your university does, to see if it is active in that area?

Or if I decide I want to do something more hands-on, the kinds of projects I should do to develop these skills in my own time?

It's actually quite difficult to do this outside industry, or a university or college course - and even many university courses are very theoretical. It's not like, say, coding, which you can practice in your own time, unfortunately.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
Yeah, it'd probably be better to do one of those (particularly the later two) at undergrad, then do a biomedical engineering masters (or just go straight into employment in the sector).

Yeah, in that case, considering my offer at Imperial is for Biomedical Engineering, I think I'll be better off sticking with my Maths degree; no wasted year, and I won't end up with a degree that gets easily outdone by others (considering the huge number of ME and EE grads, I can see myself in a rough position in the range of positions I'll be suitable for) . It'll also give me the breadth to find out exactly where in the sector I'll best fit in, since I can pick Engineering modules on this current Maths course too.

Original post by Smack
It's actually quite difficult to do this outside industry, or a university or college course - and even many university courses are very theoretical. It's not like, say, coding, which you can practice in your own time, unfortunately.

Ahh, that's a shame. I'll be able to take some Engineering and CS modules in my following years here, including the lab time, but obviously nowhere near as much as an Engineering student. If I decide this is the right path for me, I guess I could also do some engineering course at a college for a year, to get my hands-on skills up to scratch; I know there some colleges near me that offer these for free if you are below a certain age (20 something I think).

I'm sure I can find some projects to do though, especially when it comes to Engineering design, and electronics. It's something I'll have a look into.
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
In terms of "real world expertise" I meant more getting actual internships and doing actual work - this is the main thing employers are looking for. Someone who is very good at taking exams doesn't necessarily translate to a very good employee!

For the personal projects I was thinking more in terms of coding/programming projects, of which there are any number of things you can do and/or get involved in. The key would be documenting your work in a portfolio of sorts on github or something.

If you're into analogue electronics though there's a fair bit you can do in that regime with just some basic stuff you can pick up off of ebay and hardware stores (oscope, breadboard, soldering iron and some solder maybe, plus various electronic components). There's also a thriving amateur (analogue) electronics community across the world who can probably have some ideas for stuff to do - this can range from fairly basic stuff (ham radio and such) to potentially more involved things (you can make your own radio telescope, although this will depend a bit where you live and how much money and time you are willing to sink into things).

Wow, that sounds like good stuff to do over my maths degree to figure out which kind of path I want to go down, without making a whole degree switch, especially with those electronics you mentioned. I'll get looking on what people recommend for beginners and on ebay.

As for the internships and 'actual work', I think that's much easier said than done. I'm going to have to try hard to build up my skills and project portfolio as much as I can, especially with respect to programming, especially if I want to get a foothold into the biomedical sector which doesn't seem to have (relatively) many internship/early careers opportunities available.

Quick Reply

Latest