The Student Room Group

Need advice - uni

Upon the past week, I've realised that I'm not sure if I want to continue with my course that I'm due to progress with for the next 3 years. I don't hate it, but I just don't think it's for me. I want to change to a different course and my uni allows 2 weeks to do so. I'm not sure whether to change or stick it out? I know it seems stupid to ask since there's an obvious solution, but the course I would change to I have never actually done (Spanish and Japanese); I just have an interest in learning the languages. Any advice?
Reply 1
what course are u doing now
Reply 2
Original post by melia_
what course are u doing now

social science Bsc
Original post by Anonymous
Upon the past week, I've realised that I'm not sure if I want to continue with my course that I'm due to progress with for the next 3 years. I don't hate it, but I just don't think it's for me. I want to change to a different course and my uni allows 2 weeks to do so. I'm not sure whether to change or stick it out? I know it seems stupid to ask since there's an obvious solution, but the course I would change to I have never actually done (Spanish and Japanese); I just have an interest in learning the languages. Any advice?

Hi! :smile:

It is completely understandable to have doubts about your current course and to consider switching to something you are more passionate about. Making decisions about your education and future in such a short time is challenging without question. However, there are some steps you can undertake in order to make a deliberate decision.

1. Gather information about the Spanish and Japanese course you are considering. Explore the course structure, assessment practices, and career prospects for graduates. Do they correspond with your ideas and suit you?

2. Arrange an appointment with one of the professors in the Spanish and Japanese courses. Ask them questions about the course, and tell them about your passion. They can support you with valuable advice.

3. Schedule a meeting with a career advisor at your university. They can provide insights into the course of interest as well as they may be helpful in understanding the implications of transferring.

4. Finally, my personal advice is to listen to yourself and make the decision that you feel will be best for you. There is no point in wasting time on something we do not enjoy. Learning languages can be extremely rewarding and opens the way to a variety of interesting career opportunities. Recently, for example, I met a girl who studied languages. Not only has she been on several foreign exchanges, but now works as a leader of foreign trips for students and a kitchen supervisor at a summer camp in the USA.

In two weeks, you can take a few steps that will allow you to verify if the change of course is a change for the better. I wish you a successful decision!

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia :h:
(edited 7 months ago)

Anon,

Did you study a language at GCSE or A level?

Do you have a natural ability for languages, a desire to travel, or some idea of how you would like to use a languages degree in the future?

Are you interested in Spanish/Japanese culture?

Are you prepared to potentially do a year abroad?

They are two very different languages, which may or may not make it easier to learn both, but even learning one language is hard work!

Learning a language requires passion for the language and also a commitment to learn the different rules, to keep learning new vocabulary and to develop not just one skill, but all four skills: listening, speaking, writing and reading. You have to be willing to absorb yourself in the language.

I would do some research. Check if they would let you switch and whether they expect most people to have studied Spanish before. Find out more about the programme, the structure of the course and how it is assessed. Think carefully about why you chose social science and your reason for considering languages.

Do you want to have some level in a language or are you looking for fluency? If the first, then you might be able to attend language classes alongside your degree. Also consider that you could move to a country after your degree and learn a language, though you might prefer spending the time now to learn a language/s so that you are able to hit the ground running after your degree.

Take some time to think about it and what it would mean practically.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

See if you can attend the Spanish and Japanese lectures/classes to get a better feel for them before making the decision to switch

Hi Anon,

Changing to a different course can be challenging, especially if you still feel unsure. However, there are a few things you can do that can help make your decision a little clearer!

I would recommend scheduling a meeting with a career/academic advisor, as they can give you some valuable insight into where your degree can take you, give you some insight into the Spanish and Japanese course, and would be able to advise you further. It may also be useful to schedule a meeting with your personal academic tutor (if you have one) to discuss your thoughts and have some support during this process.

There are a few things you should think about beforehand. Have you taken any of these languages before? Most courses will require you to have a certain level of understanding, so make sure you research if you will actually be eligible to switch courses.

Explore the structure and assessment of the course, and think about whether you would find it fulfilling to study this for three years (or potentially more with a study abroad placement). It would also be a good idea to schedule a meeting with the Head of Department or a professor in the Spanish and Japanese department, as they can tell you a little more about their course so you can get an idea of what it is like.

There has been some great advice given in other responses already, but overall, make sure you do your research and make the right decision for you. There is no point wasting your time and money on something you don't think is for you, even if your path looks a little different from others.

I hope this helps, and best of luck,

Isabella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending