The Student Room Group

internships in the finance industry for a 16 year old

I am soon turning 16 and was wondering about where i would go to look for a internship in the finance industry as i know that it would really help my applications for university. I would ideally be looking for internships in investment banking but im not 100 percent sure if there are any for 16 year olds.
Reply 1
same! Im soon turning 16 and I want to look for an internship in an investment company or bank! I've tried looking for some but idk it's quite hard finding one...
Original post by james milledge
I am soon turning 16 and was wondering about where i would go to look for a internship in the finance industry as i know that it would really help my applications for university. I would ideally be looking for internships in investment banking but im not 100 percent sure if there are any for 16 year olds.

Original post by Jes*
same! Im soon turning 16 and I want to look for an internship in an investment company or bank! I've tried looking for some but idk it's quite hard finding one...

I very much doubt there are conventional internships for 16 year olds. The Safeguarding rules would not allow under 18s in the workplace environment outside the employment context. Internships are really university level opportunities.
Also worth keeping in mind - do you really think you're going to get anything out of any opportunity at this point in life? They aren't going to allow a 16 year old to do anything other than make tea. Can you even imagine what would be the outcome if it came out they were allowing unpaid 16 year olds on work experience do literally anything in a financial institution related to the actual function of that institution?

The best case scenario would you be just sitting next to someone going through excel spreadsheets all day and being on calls (a lot of which you probably won't be allowed to listen to). This is not interesting for you nor does it really give a great deal of insight into the sector or role, I imagine. It also is completely useless when it comes to applying to your first job, which almost certainly isn't going to be a graduate role but some generic customer/food service type role - who want to see if you have any work experience at all that involved actually doing anything.

I think you're really missing the point of what your year 10 work experience is for.
what type of work experinece do you think would be best for me if I am trying to apply for economics at uni?
Reply 5
Original post by james milledge
what type of work experinece do you think would be best for me if I am trying to apply for economics at uni?

Your academic record will be the main thing.
Some of the banks run work experience/insight schemes, eg

Work experience at Santander Bank UK

UK Work Experience Programme | HSBC Holdings plc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending