The Student Room Group

Been Offered the teaching job Before you were ready?

Has anyone already been offered a teaching job before you even finished your certs, and had the overwhelming fear that you weren't ready to teach?

Teachers are in short supply these days, and while I don't think the powers that be are lowering the bar to a dangerous level, I think that the pressure is on to get people in front of the classroom before they have had adequate training in areas like classroom management and whatnot. I honestly think that being able to maintain student engagement is more important for a teacher than being an absolute expert in the subject matter.

Anyone who is considering a career in teaching should put some energy into learning about assessments and evaluations, teaching students with disabilities, classroom management strategies and more. Learning how to teach from the front of the classroom is terrifying. trust me. I've been at it for a couple of years now and I still feel completely inept. hahah
Original post by 1111aaaa2
Has anyone already been offered a teaching job before you even finished your certs, and had the overwhelming fear that you weren't ready to teach?

Teachers are in short supply these days, and while I don't think the powers that be are lowering the bar to a dangerous level, I think that the pressure is on to get people in front of the classroom before they have had adequate training in areas like classroom management and whatnot. I honestly think that being able to maintain student engagement is more important for a teacher than being an absolute expert in the subject matter.

Anyone who is considering a career in teaching should put some energy into learning about assessments and evaluations, teaching students with disabilities, classroom management strategies and more. Learning how to teach from the front of the classroom is terrifying. trust me. I've been at it for a couple of years now and I still feel completely inept. hahah

It's normal to be offered your first job while still in training, with the idea that you will start the job the September after your training is finished. Is that what you're talking about?
Reply 2
That's one scenario for sure. Or, as is often the case in career trades education, where industry professionals are literally plucked out of the workplace and given positions teaching the next generation of their craft, as it was in the situation which prompted my post.

At least I have the luxury of a wonderfully supportive administration. I can't imagine being successful without it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending