The Student Room Group

Worried about failing NQT

Hi,

I wasn't sure where else to go for advise but here seemed the best plan.

I started my NQT in September 2021 and was super excited. I passed my first term no problems. However, Lock down hit and I wasn't in school till March with no real word from my mentor or school. Next thing I know I wasn't doing anything right. I got called into a meeting told I had a chance to turn it around, and given a new mentor. However, nothing changed and I was told I had failed my second term but an extension had been applied for. Then, about halfway through October I got an email from the head saying I had failed every standard and I was likely to fail. He advised I resign with immediate effect. I had heard no contact from my authorising body and was no way aware that things had gotten that bad.

During this time my father had been diagnosed with Terminal cancer and I had been caring for him before he passed. I know this school was not supportive and leaving was my best option. But now I am generally terrified that I'm never going to pass my NQT and if I start at a new school to finish my final term I will fail.rhis has put me off applying as I want to teach and know the consequence of failing. I am just not sure what to do anymore.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Katie0049
Hi,

I wasn't sure where else to go for advise but here seemed the best plan.

I started my NQT in September 2021 and was super excited. I passed my first term no problems. However, Lock down hit and I wasn't in school till March with no real word from my mentor or school. Next thing I know I wasn't doing anything right. I got called into a meeting told I had a chance to turn it around, and given a new mentor. However, nothing changed and I was told I had failed my second term but an extension had been applied for. Then, about halfway through October I got an email from the head saying I had failed every standard and I was likely to fail. He advised I resign with immediate effect. I had heard no contact from my authorising body and was no way aware that things had gotten that bad.

During this time my father had been diagnosed with Terminal cancer and I had been caring for him before he passed. I know this school was not supportive and leaving was my best option. But now I am generally terrified that I'm never going to pass my NQT and if I start at a new school to finish my final term I will fail.rhis has put me off applying as I want to teach and know the consequence of failing. I am just not sure what to do anymore.

Firstly, if you are not already a member of a union, make sure that you join one if/when you start a new teaching job. In situations like you mentioned, where you were advised to resign even though you hadn't realised things were so bad, union involvement would be really beneficial to you.

If you are financially able to do so, it is probably wise to take as much time as you need before starting a new job. It sounds like you have had a really rough time of it lately, and if you jump back into full-time teaching before you are ready, that may not go well. You could look into doing supply work for a while to regain some confidence in the classroom without so much pressure?
Reply 2
LEAVE!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending