The Student Room Group

Basic Data Analysis Knowledge

What kind of technical knowledge should a person possess to say they are ready to apply for data analytics roles
Reply 1
Original post by Sommiee
What kind of technical knowledge should a person possess to say they are ready to apply for data analytics roles

You will need good communication skills and able to explain technical stuff to non-technical people.

You also need to be curious.

Good SQL and Excel skills are a starter. Then use visualisation tools such as tableau and/or power BI. Also I think python would be a plus too but it would depends on the job role.
Original post by Sommiee

Original post by Ahoy
You will need good communication skills and able to explain technical stuff to non-technical people.

You also need to be curious.

Good SQL and Excel skills are a starter. Then use visualisation tools such as tableau and/or power BI. Also I think python would be a plus too but it would depends on the job role.

Ahoy has come up with some great suggestions above. Honestly, lots of the skills required to work in data analytics can be taught on the job through adequate training, but it would be good to have a solid grasp on understanding the applications of data, as well as being a good learner in general. This is because working in data analytics will likely involve collaborating and communicating across the various teams involved in the inner workings of the business.

Additionally, it would be a good idea to invest some time in brushing up on your technical skills such as statistics and programming too. As Ahoy mentioned above, Python is used a lot in the industry to perform data analysis and analytics tasks. For this, I personally recommend Anaconda Navigator, as it comes pre-installed with a variety of packages perfect for experimenting with the handling of data.

Feel free to ask more about data analytics and data science in general, I'm currently studying it for my degree as part of an Artificial Intelligence module, so the information is very fresh in my mind at the moment.

- Elliot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending