The Student Room Group

relevant experience

Hi,
I'm currently in year 12 and talk of future prospects has obviously ramped up in the last month - i am still looking at possible careers and courses etc but at the moment i think i am learning towards social worker.
i was just wondering what relevant experience and points would be good on my personal statement or applications for this? (not sure yet whether i want to do a degree apprenticeship or uni)
thank you :smile:
Original post by niamh1605
Hi,
I'm currently in year 12 and talk of future prospects has obviously ramped up in the last month - i am still looking at possible careers and courses etc but at the moment i think i am learning towards social worker.
i was just wondering what relevant experience and points would be good on my personal statement or applications for this? (not sure yet whether i want to do a degree apprenticeship or uni)
thank you :smile:

As an aspiring social worker, it's great that you are already thinking about how to build relevant experience and skills for your future career. Here are some suggestions for what you can include in your personal statement or application:

Volunteer experience: You can gain valuable experience by volunteering with organisations that work with vulnerable populations such as children, elderly, disabled or homeless people. This could be a charity, community group or a local hospital. You can also volunteer in settings such as schools or youth clubs where you can develop skills in working with young people.

Work experience: If you have worked in a customer-facing role, it can show your ability to communicate with a variety of people, solve problems and work under pressure. It can also demonstrate your commitment and reliability.

Relevant coursework: If you have taken courses that are relevant to social work, be sure to highlight these in your application. These may include psychology, sociology, health and social care, or ethics.

Personal qualities: Social work requires certain personal qualities such as empathy, patience, and resilience. Make sure you highlight these qualities in your application, and provide examples of how you have demonstrated them in your personal and academic life.

Extracurricular activities: Any extracurricular activities that demonstrate your leadership, teamwork or community involvement can be a great addition to your application. Examples include sports teams, school clubs or youth groups.

Writing skills: As a social worker, you will need to be able to write clear and concise reports. If you have any experience in writing, such as a school newspaper or blog, be sure to highlight this in your application.

Remember that when applying for a social work program, it's not just about having relevant experience, but also about demonstrating your passion and commitment to the field. Make sure to explain why you are interested in social work, and how you see yourself making a difference in the lives of the people you will be working with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending