The Student Room Group

Random owl question

I saw an owl the other day about 5.00pm near a field it was flapping its wings but was flying on the spot. It was sort of treading air??? I googled it but can't find any mention of this. Is this a thing or are my depression meds playing up 😂 found it interesting so I though I would share for any owl enthusiasts if there is any ??
my family is somewhat based in the countryside, so i may be able to offer a few suggestions...

some species of owls are capable of hovering in the air, which is a unique flying ability that sets them apart from other birds of prey - they flap their wings rapidly and then using their tail feathers and wings to make small adjustments to maintain their position in the air.

this helps them when hunting for prey, by making them able to watch the ground from above, thus letting them swoop down to catch their prey at the right time. they also hover during courtship displays - male owls may hover in the air to show off their flying abilities and impress potential females.

in your case, i would guess that the owl you saw was hovering in search of prey, as it was near a field. owls are also known to hover in response to threats or to defend their territory. it's a fascinating behavior to witness and one that sets owls apart as unique and efficient hunters :yep: though most owls in the uk mate between late winter and spring, so it is possible he was trying to attract a female!!
That makes sense never seen an owl before so found it interesting

Original post by snowyshrew
my family is somewhat based in the countryside, so i may be able to offer a few suggestions...

some species of owls are capable of hovering in the air, which is a unique flying ability that sets them apart from other birds of prey - they flap their wings rapidly and then using their tail feathers and wings to make small adjustments to maintain their position in the air.

this helps them when hunting for prey, by making them able to watch the ground from above, thus letting them swoop down to catch their prey at the right time. they also hover during courtship displays - male owls may hover in the air to show off their flying abilities and impress potential females.

in your case, i would guess that the owl you saw was hovering in search of prey, as it was near a field. owls are also known to hover in response to threats or to defend their territory. it's a fascinating behavior to witness and one that sets owls apart as unique and efficient hunters :yep: though most owls in the uk mate between late winter and spring, so it is possible he was trying to attract a female!!

Quick Reply

Latest