The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Leeds uni or Swansea Uni

I thought I was so set on going to Leeds uni to study business. I live about 30 mins outside London so I wanted a change by going up north. Recently I’ve been thinking more and more about Swansea uni. I went to visit it and I loved the bay campus and I really liked the sound of the course. My grandparents live there too which is nice and having the beach there sounds super fun. However I was really unconvinced about the nightlife, as one of the reasons I was looking forward to uni is the crazy nights out. I know I would get this at Leeds and when I went to visit I loved the feel of the city. I messaged a few people on TikTok about the nightlife at Swansea and most said it was good. At the moment I don’t have access to very many clubs anyway so I feel like any uni would have better nights out than the ones I’m currently getting. Swansea to me gives more of a homely vibe I think because it is smaller and I go to quite a small school, I also love wales. And I know this doesn’t really make sense but I feel like I’d make good friends there, not that I don’t think I’d make good friends in Leeds. But I don’t want to be disappointed and it not be what I was hoping uni would be like if I went to Swansea so I don’t know what to do. Can anyone help?
Original post by Mthomas10
I thought I was so set on going to Leeds uni to study business. I live about 30 mins outside London so I wanted a change by going up north. Recently I’ve been thinking more and more about Swansea uni. I went to visit it and I loved the bay campus and I really liked the sound of the course. My grandparents live there too which is nice and having the beach there sounds super fun. However I was really unconvinced about the nightlife, as one of the reasons I was looking forward to uni is the crazy nights out. I know I would get this at Leeds and when I went to visit I loved the feel of the city. I messaged a few people on TikTok about the nightlife at Swansea and most said it was good. At the moment I don’t have access to very many clubs anyway so I feel like any uni would have better nights out than the ones I’m currently getting. Swansea to me gives more of a homely vibe I think because it is smaller and I go to quite a small school, I also love wales. And I know this doesn’t really make sense but I feel like I’d make good friends there, not that I don’t think I’d make good friends in Leeds. But I don’t want to be disappointed and it not be what I was hoping uni would be like if I went to Swansea so I don’t know what to do. Can anyone help?
Hey! Firstly, I'm so happy you're considering Swansea. I am currently in my seventh year here, and on my second degree, so it must be doing something right!

Bay Campus really is beautiful, with it being one of the only campuses in the world to back onto its own private beach. Whether you're an early bird or a night owl, both the sunrises and sunsets are gorgeous. You're also only a short trip from the Mumbles and The Gower Peninsula for more beautiful surroundings. I lived on Bay Campus in my first year in halls, so if you need any more information I can answer any questions you might have on that front.

I think it would be lovely to have your Grandparents around too for a little bit of family support being away from London. Swansea has definitely become a home away from home for me. As you say, Swansea is small and Wales is amazing, so I think you'd definitely fit in here. We have a really friendly, vibrant and welcoming student community too, so making friends would not be an issue! The same goes for the staff, with great student support and helpful lecturers.

Swansea's nightlife is really good, to be honest! We have our famous Wind Street which is essentially one big street full of bars, clubs and restaurants, as well as Sin City (a firm favourite amongst the student population)! The Mumbles also has a famous pub crawl, the Mumbles Mile, and many nice places to eat or have a few drinks. In my opinion, nightlife at Swansea shouldn't be the thing that dissuades you from applying or coming to study with us, as me and many of my friends have had amazing nights out in Swansea. I have a lot of friends from in and around London who definitely enjoy a night out here.The Student's Union are also really good at ensuring nights out are safe, being partnered with a lot of bars in town to prevent things such as drink spiking etc. Plus, drinks here will be a lot cheaper than in London!

The Students' Union also has its own bars and social spaces on both campuses, and there is even a nightclub on Singleton Campus itself, which has just reopened following a million pound refurb, which we are all thrilled about. It's legendary amongst current students and alumni alike.

Plus, we also have train links to Cardiff so a night out in Wales' capital can always be on the cards. I'd definitely recommend Cardiff nights out on match days, and many Swansea students hop on the train to Cardiff for a night out when Wales are playing rugby at home.

Finally, in terms of social things, we have loads and loads of Sports Clubs and Societies to take part in. Whatever your interests, we'll have something for you, and if not, you can make your own society! Most sports clubs and societies will have weekly Wednesday night socials which help make the nightlife amazing, as well as the well regarded annual Varsity clash between us and Cardiff which is always great fun!

In my opinion, if you want an amazing university experience in a home away from home, Swansea's the place for you. Check out our other original thread on 'Making Friends and Finding New Experiences' for more detail.

Let me know if I can help answer any more questions.
Hope Henry - Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medical Student.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Swansea Students
Hey! Firstly, I'm so happy you're considering Swansea. I am currently in my seventh year here, and on my second degree, so it must be doing something right!

Bay Campus really is beautiful, with it being one of the only campuses in the world to back onto its own private beach. Whether you're an early bird or a night owl, both the sunrises and sunsets are gorgeous. You're also only a short trip from the Mumbles and The Gower Peninsula for more beautiful surroundings. I lived on Bay Campus in my first year in halls, so if you need any more information I can answer any questions you might have on that front.

I think it would be lovely to have your Grandparents around too for a little bit of family support being away from London. Swansea has definitely become a home away from home for me. As you say, Swansea is small and Wales is amazing, so I think you'd definitely fit in here. We have a really friendly, vibrant and welcoming student community too, so making friends would not be an issue! The same goes for the staff, with great student support and helpful lecturers.

Swansea's nightlife is really good, to be honest! We have our famous Wind Street which is essentially one big street full of bars, clubs and restaurants, as well as Sin City (a firm favourite amongst the student population)! The Mumbles also has a famous pub crawl, the Mumbles Mile, and many nice places to eat or have a few drinks. In my opinion, nightlife at Swansea shouldn't be the thing that dissuades you from applying or coming to study with us, as me and many of my friends have had amazing nights out in Swansea. I have a lot of friends from in and around London who definitely enjoy a night out here.The Student's Union are also really good at ensuring nights out are safe, being partnered with a lot of bars in town to prevent things such as drink spiking etc. Plus, drinks here will be a lot cheaper than in London!

The Students' Union also has its own bars and social spaces on both campuses, and there is even a nightclub on Singleton Campus itself, which has just reopened following a million pound refurb, which we are all thrilled about. It's legendary amongst current students and alumni alike.

Plus, we also have train links to Cardiff so a night out in Wales' capital can always be on the cards. I'd definitely recommend Cardiff nights out on match days, and many Swansea students hop on the train to Cardiff for a night out when Wales are playing rugby at home.

Finally, in terms of social things, we have loads and loads of Sports Clubs and Societies to take part in. Whatever your interests, we'll have something for you, and if not, you can make your own society! Most sports clubs and societies will have weekly Wednesday night socials which help make the nightlife amazing, as well as the well regarded annual Varsity clash between us and Cardiff which is always great fun!

In my opinion, if you want an amazing university experience in a home away from home, Swansea's the place for you. Check out our other original thread on 'Making Friends and Finding New Experiences' for more detail.

Let me know if I can help answer any more questions.
Hope Henry - Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medical Student.

Thank you so much that’s really helpful! In my first year I’d probably live on bay campus because I was told that’s where the business course is but in second year someone said on open day that lots of people then move to live near singleton campus. What’s it like getting between the campuses? Is it too far to walk?
Original post by Mthomas10
Thank you so much that’s really helpful! In my first year I’d probably live on bay campus because I was told that’s where the business course is but in second year someone said on open day that lots of people then move to live near singleton campus. What’s it like getting between the campuses? Is it too far to walk?

Happy to help!

Yes, that is what usually happens. People tend to live where their course is based in first year and then move to the student areas of Uplands and Brynmill after that with friends. It is a pretty long walk between campuses, but there are regular campus to campus bus services and a well lit and well used cycle route that are both popular amongst students. You can get discounted bus tickets/bus passes as a student too!

Let me know if any other questions pop up!
Hope.

Quick Reply

Latest