The Student Room Group

Getting on a degree course in Computer science

Predicted A*A*A* maths, further maths, CS. EPQ. AS grade A
GCSE 7 grade 9 , 2 grade 8 (Eng)

Rejected from Bristol & UCL. Anyone getting in there with three A levels? Or four?
(edited 1 year ago)
:O Dang I got accepted to Bristol with Maths, Chem and CS and the same predicted grades. I would've thought they'd prefer FM over chem (And you've also done an EPQ) so that's surprising.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
:O Dang I got accepted to Bristol with Maths, Chem and CS and the same predicted grades. I would've thought they'd prefer FM over chem (And you've also done an EPQ) so that's surprising.

Well done. Was that for this year's entry? None of it makes sense tho
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lvarley124

Boy,You got rejected after getting such high grades????

Yes, this year. Maybe your personal statement wasn't that great?
Reply 5
Yes, this year. Maybe your personal statement wasn't that great?

We've spoken to Bristol and they don't look at the personal statement. Can I ask what you got in your GCSEs? Also are there contextual issues? Cheers
We've spoken to Bristol and they don't look at the personal statement. Can I ask what you got in your GCSEs? Also are there contextual issues? Cheers

Ah, I just realised I got a contextual offer (don't know why but not gonna complain). That explains it.
Reply 7
Ah, I just realised I got a contextual offer (don't know why but not gonna complain). That explains it.

It does. Still well done.

If anyone else is wondering why they haven't been offered a place and have good predicted grades, just to let you know I didn't get an offer because I have two GCSE grades at 8 (the rest 9s) which is what we've been told Bristol use as criteria to split all those predicted A*s.

If anyone else is wondering why they haven't been offered a place and have good predicted grades, just to let you know I didn't get an offer because I have two GCSE grades at 8 (the rest 9s) which is what we've been told Bristol use as criteria to split all those predicted A*s.

I do not believe that admissions would look at two applications that simply and just choose one because it had two 9's instead of two 8's in GCSEs... They would start looking at personal statement at that point.
Reply 9
Original post by alanb21
I do not believe that admissions would look at two applications that simply and just choose one because it had two 9's instead of two 8's in GCSEs... They would start looking at personal statement at that point.

I know seems crazy but that's what I got told by Bristol today. They don't look at the PS at all. EPQ is worthless as well.
I know seems crazy but that's what I got told by Bristol today. They don't look at the PS at all. EPQ is worthless as well.

Those people should not be admissions officers then, that is 0 brain cell move especially with 'EPQ' is worthless statement.

Wow that is ridiculous! Though I find it hard to believe that that many people had straight 9s and applied to the same course and the same uni since having straight 9s isn't that common?
Wow that is ridiculous! Though I find it hard to believe that that many people had straight 9s and applied to the same course and the same uni since having straight 9s isn't that common?

Have to consider international students too.

I suppose the thing is each uni has their own system of selection, being big businesses, and their criteria of selection is not always transparent. I'll be looking at which unis actually look at the refs & ps next time
Original post by alanb21
Have to consider international students too.

You're right I totally forgot about that. Bristol has a lot of international students as well.
I suppose the thing is each uni has their own system of selection, being big businesses, and their criteria of selection is not always transparent. I'll be looking at which unis actually look at the refs & ps next time

I'm sure you will be accepted into at least one of your other choices though so I wouldn't worry about re-applying too much?
You're right I totally forgot about that. Bristol has a lot of international students as well.

Yep. UCL it's over half of students are from overseas. In a cohort of 300 that's not many left for UK residents not with contextual offers

thanks, this is very helpful.
Would u be able to elaborate slightly more pls.

so to differentiate between students with all a*s do they just pick those with the highest gcses or is it specifically in certain subjects like English for example as you mention that those were the only subjects you got 8s in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending