The Student Room Group

Is it too late to leave uni to re-rake my A Levels?

I originally had a firm offer at the University of Southampton for computer science, and an insurance at the Uni of Surrey for computer science. I was predicted A*AA. I ended up getting ABC, and missing both offers. I got a remark and got ABB, and now I'm studying Computer and Internet Engineering at the Uni of Surrey. It's a similar course but I don't know if employers will see it that way.

Surrey won't let me change course to computer science, but I'd really like to do computer science, especially at a Russel group.

I've been studying at Surrey for 1 month now. Is it too late to quit Surrey, and re-take my a levels? Is it worth it? What happens to my student finance? My accomodation contract?
Hey there, I would think it's worth it if you have a set career path in mind. In terms of your student finance you shouldn't have to pay back too much as it isn't like you have completed a whole year or even the term. But for the accommodation contract I would recommend that you get in touch with the accommodation team at your uni to see what happens if you withdraw :smile:

Sasha
Graduate Advocate
A placement year and a more focused degree would be more helpful to your employability than a more theory heavy degree from a research focused university
Original post by Honey Pot
I originally had a firm offer at the University of Southampton for computer science, and an insurance at the Uni of Surrey for computer science. I was predicted A*AA. I ended up getting ABC, and missing both offers. I got a remark and got ABB, and now I'm studying Computer and Internet Engineering at the Uni of Surrey. It's a similar course but I don't know if employers will see it that way.

Surrey won't let me change course to computer science, but I'd really like to do computer science, especially at a Russel group.

I've been studying at Surrey for 1 month now. Is it too late to quit Surrey, and re-take my a levels? Is it worth it? What happens to my student finance? My accomodation contract?

You can stop now and apply elsewhere and take A levels next June. The big issue will be the cost. You will have used a years student finance. You might well have to pay the full years fees and accommodation. You need to contact the university to find out exactly what you will be charged although that maybe shown in your contract,
Reply 4
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hey there, I would think it's worth it if you have a set career path in mind. In terms of your student finance you shouldn't have to pay back too much as it isn't like you have completed a whole year or even the term. But for the accommodation contract I would recommend that you get in touch with the accommodation team at your uni to see what happens if you withdraw :smile:

Sasha
Graduate Advocate

Hey,

I don't know if I have a set path in mind or not. I know I want to work in the computer science industry for certain, but within that I'm fine with anything, cyber security, software engineering, AI. I wanted a computer science degree as it's more general and I could do any of these.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
A placement year and a more focused degree would be more helpful to your employability than a more theory heavy degree from a research focused university

My course has a placement year. May I ask why a theory heavy degree from a research focused degree is bad?
My course has a placement year. May I ask why a theory heavy degree from a research focused degree is bad?

Computer Science has the highest unemployment rate of any subject - one of the many government reviews to try to work out why that might be pointed to the lack of industry involvement in course design (and high proportion of theory content) and the lack of placement years in many courses.

Unless you loathe the content of your course at Surrey you'd be silly to leave it for a chance of a place on a course with worse preparation for a job in industry.
Reply 7

So presumably you were fine to go to Surrey for computer science, since you had it as an insurance, but now you are considering going back to A-level because you are doing Computer and Internet Engineering at Surrey instead? I really would not bother as I doubt employers will know the difference between the courses or care. It will be Computing/IT related degree from Surrey, so will make no difference to them.

Hi there!

After reading previous comments, I agree that continuing on the course, ensuring you do well, and taking a placement year will all benefit you a lot more than leaving and applying for a similar course (possibly without professional experience opportunities), as employers won't care much for the difference, if you present yourself as someone that knows what they want to do, and has taken steps towards that goal (i.e. good grades & placement year/internships under your belt).

Were I in your position, I would continue on my current course, and take the many opportunities for further development that Surrey offers, as well as take a placement year.

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending