The Student Room Group

Additional Maths?

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if doing Additional Maths at GSCE level is worth doing if I'm planning to take maths for A level. While it may seem like a no brainer, I struggle at maths enough as it is and I'm worried I wont be able to keep up with the harder work.
I don't think it's of particular benefit whether you take the A-level or not.

But if you struggle with maths already why are you planning on continuing it to A-level?
definitely take additional maths if you want to do it at A level, i'm a year 11 student doing add. maths and going to take A level but all those already doing A level say to take it as otherwise the jump is too much.
i do sort of agree with the other post - if maths is something you struggle at, i would really consider why u are doing this for A level particularly considering that grade boundaries seem very high (e.g. 80% for an A or 90% for A* in WJEC, compared to 70% most for an A* at gcse maths or 60% for an A* at gcse physics) . try talking to ur head of 6th form, maths teacher or careers advisor :smile:

however - maths is very important for the future and it's really good to try and push urself. i would possibly consider a tutor if you can, if not use all the help your school gives and make sure you dedicate the time to it. as someone who used to be not exceptional at maths and has recently got 84% and an A* in numeracy, my advice is make sure you keep going over it as it requires a lot more time than english-based subjects like history.

good luck !! i hope this helped a little.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
It was recommended by my chemistry teacher that if i want to take chemistry for A level, then I should take maths as well
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by fqriewiings
definitely take additional maths if you want to do it at A level, i'm a year 11 student doing add. maths and going to take A level but all those already doing A level say to take it as otherwise the jump is too much.
i do sort of agree with the other post - if maths is something you struggle at, i would really consider why u are doing this for A level particularly considering that grade boundaries seem very high (e.g. 80% for an A or 90% for A* in WJEC, compared to 70% most for an A* at gcse maths or 60% for an A* at gcse physics) . try talking to ur head of 6th form, maths teacher or careers advisor :smile:

however - maths is very important for the future and it's really good to try and push urself. i would possibly consider a tutor if you can, if not use all the help your school gives and make sure you dedicate the time to it. as someone who used to be not exceptional at maths and has recently got 84% and an A* in numeracy, my advice is make sure you keep going over it as it requires a lot more time than english-based subjects like history.

good luck !! i hope this helped a little.

Thanks for the advice
Original post by Dont_panic
It was recommended by my chemistry teacher that if i want to take chemistry for A level, then I should take maths as well

i can't say im the most experienced with A levels but i don't think u need maths to do chem, if u struggle with maths and just want to do chem then i possibly wouldn't suggest it. chem does require maths but its not the same type u do in maths A level or gcse (it's a bit like taking english A level to do history, yes they're related but u don't need them together). also there's smth to be said for having a wider variety of A levels - most people tend to just do maths and science or language based A levels so having a mix relevant to what u want to do e.g. i'm doing REP, history, maths and psychology looking at studying PPE could be very attractive for the future
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if doing Additional Maths at GSCE level is worth doing if I'm planning to take maths for A level. While it may seem like a no brainer, I struggle at maths enough as it is and I'm worried I wont be able to keep up with the harder work.

No, focus on the GCSE.
Original post by Muttley79
No, focus on the GCSE.

are u a maths teacher?
Reply 8

100% no. If you are struggling with maths already I don't know why you are even thinking about taking an extra qualification. The grade you get for GCSE maths is the most important thing.

That's not true. A lot of students take A level chemistry but not A level maths.

No - it's far better to completely cover the GCSE spec - many schools don't and then the jump is big. We don't bother with it and our A level results are as good as many top schools. It also covers stuff not on A level and takes time from other subjects.
Original post by Muttley79
No - it's far better to completely cover the GCSE spec - many schools don't and then the jump is big. We don't bother with it and our A level results are as good as many top schools. It also covers stuff not on A level and takes time from other subjects.

i don’t really why you’re making this point - additional maths should reinforce what you’re doing in gcse (eg surds and algebraic fractions). at least in my case, we completed the gcse course months before starting additional maths. it’s not as though you start doing a level at the same time as gcse and additional maths will surely help in the long run?
i don’t really why you’re making this point - additional maths should reinforce what you’re doing in gcse (eg surds and algebraic fractions). at least in my case, we completed the gcse course months before starting additional maths. it’s not as though you start doing a level at the same time as gcse and additional maths will surely help in the long run?

No - it doesn't help at all. Much better to spend time on developing problem solving. Many school don't spend enough time in grade 8/9 topics [the two topics you mention are part of that] - we do. The results at GCSE and A level show that level 2 FMaths is not needed.

Quick Reply

Latest