The Student Room Group

Structuring an email

Heya!

A level student here! and I really want to study veterinary!
I called up a farm near my school and asked them if they had any work experience placements, they said yes and told me to send them an email (which I did later on in the day)

It has been more than 2 weeks since then and during that time, I called them up again to confirm they had placements available and received the same response.

Are they ignoring my email because it’s not good enough?

I really want advice on my email because I was never really taught how to structure one? So please tell me how I can improve it! Thank you!

“Good morning, I hope this email finds you well.

I am a sixth form student from (my school), studying Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. In the future, I am interested in pursuing a career in Veterinary medicine, as I wish to attain the tools to help me make a positive impact on animals health.
May I ask if there is an opportunity to undergo work experience at this establishment? This experience will help provide insight into working with animals and develop my understanding of this industry as a whole.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Best wishes,”
When I applied for farming work experience, I included why I think I would benefit from it - attributes etc. and I also included a contact number and my email again at the bottom for them to contact me. Otherwise, I think your email is great. You could perhaps follow up with another email to show that you’re still interested - maybe include some dates when your available.

Not sure if this was helpful or not, let me know if you need any help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kat_jan17
When I applied for farming work experience, I included why I think I would benefit from it - attributes etc. and I also included a contact number and my email again at the bottom for them to contact me. Otherwise, I think your email is great. You could perhaps follow up with another email to show that you’re still interested - maybe include some dates when your available.

Not sure if this was helpful or not, let me know if you need any help :smile:

Thankyou for your reply! I was really lost for a few days. I will do just that!
Your email is fine, honestly mine aren’t near as formal for farmers especially. Perhaps call up again, say that you have emailed, ask if they’ve seen it? Emails go missing easily, they can go in junk, farmers aren’t always the most tech savvy to know to check spam emails etc. Including previous experience and availability and things like if you have own transport might be good.
Reply 4
Original post by RambleAmple
Your email is fine, honestly mine aren’t near as formal for farmers especially. Perhaps call up again, say that you have emailed, ask if they’ve seen it? Emails go missing easily, they can go in junk, farmers aren’t always the most tech savvy to know to check spam emails etc. Including previous experience and availability and things like if you have own transport might be good.

Thank you for your reply! I’ve always written my emails formally so I guess I’m just used to it, hopefully it’s not a bad thing 😅

I never thought of the possibility of them losing my email, I will call them today to ask!

Also, following the advice of the previous person :smile:, I’ve sent a follow-up email which seems a bit less formal in my opinion. Does it sound better?

“Good morning, I hope my email finds you well

Currently, I am looking to do work experience at farms in my area and was told by my teacher that there are placements available here.
This experience would be fantastic as I would be able to learn skills such as animal care, dexterity and develop a deeper understanding of their well-being. I love working with animals, so this experience is a great way of helping me reach my goal of becoming a vet.

Thank you for reading and I have linked my email and contact number below. Please contact me when possible.”

I just want to thank the people who responded, I’m really grateful for all your input 🙏
(edited 1 year ago)
I would include a bit about what you can give to them as your email tells them why you want to do it and how it will benefit you but not them.

You could easily turn some of your why into a benefit. Eg I am a hard worker with a passion for working with animals.

Or alternatively do you have some other relevant experience like I offer holiday pet care to friends or family so am used to working with animals.

Doesn't even have to be animal related could be I am physically fit as I play hockey that kind of thing.

Also depending on type of farm they may be busy with lambing at the moment.

Just something to make them think you can make a contribution when you are there.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by CrimsonFlower
I would include a bit about what you can give to them as your email tells them why you want to do it and how it will benefit you but not them.

You could easily turn some of your why into a benefit. Eg I am a hard worker with a passion for working with animals.

Or alternatively do you have some other relevant experience like I offer holiday pet care to friends or family so am used to working with animals.

Doesn't even have to be animal related could be I am physically fit as I play hockey that kind of thing.

Also depending on type of farm they may be busy with lambing at the moment.

Just something to make them think you can make a contribution when you are there.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply! Honestly, I’m not physically fit! The only things that I have going for me is that I connect with animals and I can adapt to situations quickly
But you are definitely right!
Also, I just want to clarify when I said ‘farm.’ It’s more an area where families and friends can interact with animals, Sorry for the confusion!

I will continue to put my thinking cap on and think of any contributions I can make for my next email! Thanks again! :smile:
Hey, farmers (like most institutions) normally get emails from keen students showing interest and these emails are probably ignored or not interesting enough to spark action on their side.

To stand out:
Bullet point 2-3 reasons of why *they* would benefit from you volunteering/doing work experience there e.g. “I’m a solution-orientated independent worker able to quickly pick up and complete entry-skill tasks, which will save you time.”
They don’t really care why you’re interested in the industry (as most reasons they hear are more or less similar), what they do care about tho is why you’re specifically interested in working for them. So make it personalised i.e. “I’ve researched (farm name/+founders) and learnt that (state an interesting fact of theirs e.g. a unique farming practice used). I would love to speak to you about this in person.”
Use attractive subject line for email and include you’ve phoned previously (in brackets).
Addressing email to a specific person makes it more likely you’ll get a response. Ideally, use name of person you spoke to on the phone and start with that: “Hi (name),
Hope you are well.
We spoke on the phone earlier regarding work experience.”
Always follow up after 3-5 working days if no response, or call to check email has gone through so they can actively search and acknowledge it whilst on call.
Reply 8
Original post by sumoducky00
Hey, farmers (like most institutions) normally get emails from keen students showing interest and these emails are probably ignored or not interesting enough to spark action on their side.

To stand out:
Bullet point 2-3 reasons of why *they* would benefit from you volunteering/doing work experience there e.g. “I’m a solution-orientated independent worker able to quickly pick up and complete entry-skill tasks, which will save you time.”
They don’t really care why you’re interested in the industry (as most reasons they hear are more or less similar), what they do care about tho is why you’re specifically interested in working for them. So make it personalised i.e. “I’ve researched (farm name/+founders) and learnt that (state an interesting fact of theirs e.g. a unique farming practice used). I would love to speak to you about this in person.”
Use attractive subject line for email and include you’ve phoned previously (in brackets).
Addressing email to a specific person makes it more likely you’ll get a response. Ideally, use name of person you spoke to on the phone and start with that: “Hi (name),
Hope you are well.
We spoke on the phone earlier regarding work experience.”

Always follow up after 3-5 working days if no response, or call to check email has gone through so they can actively search and acknowledge it whilst on call.

Hi!, Thank you! I was really unsure as to how to structure my email but this is amazing!
I will definitely be using these tips for my next email!
Thankyou so much! 😁
I always struggled to write good emails. I've borrowed some tips here. Thanks guys!
Interesting...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending