The Student Room Group

Dissertation mess

Hi, I'm having issues with getting my final dissertation draft being reviewed by my supervisor.

I have an extension for 2 weeks (now 1) for my dissertation due to health reasons. I wanted to have it submitted by the original deadline and emailed my supervisor to review a draft a week before this (~3 weeks before my extended deadline) but unfortunately she was on holiday until a bit after the original deadline.

She's just gotten back so I emailed her again, I still have a week until it's due but I've been told it's too late to review the draft by my supervisor.

I don't see any sort of deadline in the module announcements or discussion forum nor from any email from the module leader/coordinators about this draft review deadline.

My supervisor also didn't inform us the dates she'd be on holiday but just briefly mentioned a holiday during a meeting.

Would it still be possible to get a review of my draft? How would I got about this?

Other students with an extension have had theirs reviewed recently but I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Most of it has been reviewed already and the stuff which hasn't been reviewed has been looked at separately i.e. I just showed the sections in isolation but I'd feel a lot better if I just had a quick glance through review.
Reply 1
Wait sorry she's said she's not allowed to give feedback (but she's gone through my draft since she's spotted a typo).

Just to clarify I want just a review on the structure not the content/writing style as that's been reviewed already
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I'm having issues with getting my final dissertation draft being reviewed by my supervisor.

I have an extension for 2 weeks (now 1) for my dissertation due to health reasons. I wanted to have it submitted by the original deadline and emailed my supervisor to review a draft a week before this (~3 weeks before my extended deadline) but unfortunately she was on holiday until a bit after the original deadline.

She's just gotten back so I emailed her again, I still have a week until it's due but I've been told it's too late to review the draft by my supervisor.

I don't see any sort of deadline in the module announcements or discussion forum nor from any email from the module leader/coordinators about this draft review deadline.

My supervisor also didn't inform us the dates she'd be on holiday but just briefly mentioned a holiday during a meeting.

Would it still be possible to get a review of my draft? How would I got about this?

Other students with an extension have had theirs reviewed recently but I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Most of it has been reviewed already and the stuff which hasn't been reviewed has been looked at separately i.e. I just showed the sections in isolation but I'd feel a lot better if I just had a quick glance through review.
Hi there,

I'm sorry that you're in this position. I think that the rules vary depending what school you're in. I'd recommend reaching out to your tutor - potentially they could review it with you or inform you of what you should be doing.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 3
It sounds like you are looking for a "reassuring" glance over the whole thing before you submit? Can you speak to the Module Coordinator? My gut feeling is that any feedback offered after the official submission date will be at the discretion of the marking tutor - and she has said no. Technically speaking, your extension applies only to the submission date, not to any internal deadlines within the module.
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
It sounds like you are looking for a "reassuring" glance over the whole thing before you submit? Can you speak to the Module Coordinator? My gut feeling is that any feedback offered after the official submission date will be at the discretion of the marking tutor - and she has said no. Technically speaking, your extension applies only to the submission date, not to any internal deadlines within the module.

Yes I've had a majority of the content read through but not all together e.g. a look at the structure and layout which is all I need.

I'm not sure if it's the supervisor's discretion since she has gone through it and told me to watch out for typos and pointed one out in her reply email but told me she's not allowed to review the content.
Reply 5
It's normal not to review content, because it's unfair to other students who don't have that sort of access and opportunity But if you specify that you want to know specifically about layout then they might do that for you.

It depends on what they are classing as 'content', really.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
It's normal not to review content, because it's unfair to other students who don't have that sort of access and opportunity But if you specify that you want to know specifically about layout then they might do that for you.

It depends on what they are classing as 'content', really.

Fair, I just rearranged some of the sections/headings and graphs and wanted to see if that was fine as in the report guidance it says we're allowed to structure the sections as we like but the mark scheme sets out specific sections.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending