The Student Room Group

I have tried but find it very difficult to handle work with anxiety

I have returned to work following being off for several months with anxiety. I am not feeling 100% I have gastric/reflux issues (probably from the anxiety) and feel my breathing is impacted sometimes. This all adds to the anxiety.

I have returned to work and just completed a 3 week phased return but am feeling the pressure again now I am full time. The thing is it is not work it is just the fact that once I am in work there’s no escape if I feel panicky. I was half way through my shift earlier this week and was asked to drive to a meeting. I had had acid reflux for hours and my throat and chest were feeling tight, my breathing felt/sounded different. I felt like I was going to pass out. I got very anxious and I know it is cowardly but I pulled up to a safe place and informed work that I wouldn’t be in for the rest of the day.

I then had to go to an attendance meeting yesterday where they said that if I have another absence in 6 months it will go to a higher level/be more formal. I have been in today and got through although I felt anxious/uncomfortable. I am just sort of dreading that thing happening again

I honestly wasn’t like this this time last year. I worked full time all through covid with hardly any health issues. My sickness record has gone from excellent to very poor. This new team didn’t know me a year ago though.

I feel like quitting everyday as although work is helping to provide a distraction from my anxiety issues in some way it is causing anxiety in other ways. I need to stay calm to allow my physical health to improve.

Just wanted advice really. My issue is not compatible with the sickness policy at work -it goes off sickness periods - 1 day is basically the same as 3 months it is still classed as 1 period. So someone could have 3 days off through the year and be put on monitoring as they have had 3 periods. Someone else could have 2 lots of 3 months off and only be classed as having 2 sickness periods. I don’t think this accomadates people who have chronic issues very well though.
I think being homeless will make you more anxious than work. This is also coming from someone who has crippling anxiety.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I think being homeless will make you more anxious than work. This is also coming from someone who has crippling anxiety.

Thats what I mean the fear of losing the job is added on top. It is weird, I sort of feel winded, like I am not taking enough oxygen at moments throughout the day, I am not sure how much is psychological and how much is gastric issues.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr

What were your symptoms?
Original post by Anonymous
What were your symptoms?

Worrying about everything unnecessarily.
Original post by Anonymous
Thats what I mean the fear of losing the job is added on top. It is weird, I sort of feel winded, like I am not taking enough oxygen at moments throughout the day, I am not sure how much is psychological and how much is gastric issues.

I suggest you see a doctor about your current mental health issues.
I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums. In future, please check if your thread could be posted elsewhere. Thank-you!

Quick Reply

Latest