The Student Room Group

Self studying IGCSE First Language English

Hello, I'm studying IGCSE First langauge English. However, it is more of self studying.

I have a tutor but we meet once or twice a week and I am not quite sure that they have experience with Cambridge International IGCSE. We've had like 4 classes so far but I feel that I need to do more even when we don't have classes. (I have exams in 1-month :biggrin: ).

I would appreciate any advice, resources, or things that I need to know. I'm also really looking for what I actually need to know to write the exam for this course, like the content I need to understand, the types of writing that I need to be able to do.

Thank you again, and btw this is my first TSR post. Took me long enough to create an account.
I did Cambridge IGCSE English a few years ago, not sure the exact course name! The exam was very much based on your writing skills. You get given some text and have to answer questions on it and write based on prompts they have given you. I would say do as many past papers as you can, get an understanding for the feel of the paper! If you don’t have the text book for the exam content I’d recommend getting it. That combined with past papers I found was all I needed study wise 😊
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Amelieeliza
I did Cambridge IGCSE English a few years ago, not sure the exact course name! The exam was very much based on your writing skills. You get given some text and have to answer questions on it and write based on prompts they have given you. I would say do as many past papers as you can, get an understanding for the feel of the paper! If you don’t have the text book for the exam content I’d recommend getting it. That combined with past papers I found was all I needed study wise 😊

Oh okay. Thank you for that. So it doesn't seem to be toooo hard right? Do you have some ideas on the writing skills that the exam requires?
I found it to be one of the easier ones I did, it’s been a few years though so might have changed! It felt like essentially creative writing to me. Have a look through the answers and mark scheme of the past papers, it might give you some answers onto what they are looking for!

Original post by LegitTSR
Oh okay. Thank you for that. So it doesn't seem to be toooo hard right? Do you have some ideas on the writing skills that the exam requires?
Reply 4
Original post by Amelieeliza
I found it to be one of the easier ones I did, it’s been a few years though so might have changed! It felt like essentially creative writing to me. Have a look through the answers and mark scheme of the past papers, it might give you some answers onto what they are looking for!

Okay then. I'm starting to feel very confident about this exam. Thank you :thumbsup:.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Btw, any more advice, tips or tricks at all are welcomed
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest