The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

London to the university of Glasgow?

Is it normal for English students to study at a Scottish university?
I feel like i will be an outcast especially with the difference in accents, tbh I can barely understand the Scottish accent and slang terms.
Its the only place I have offer from for medicine so I'm going to have to go lol. Im just reallyyyy scared about not fitting in.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like i will be an outcast especially with the difference in accents, tbh I can barely understand the Scottish accent and slang terms.
Its the only place I have offer from for medicine so I'm going to have to go lol. Im just reallyyyy scared about not fitting in.

I can't answer the second half of your question (about not fitting in), but I can tell you that for 2022, the MBChB intake at Glasgow was 296 students, of which 233 were Sots Domiciled, 42 were from the rest of the UK, and 21 were international. (Source)

So you'll be in the minority, but non-Scots students will still comprise 21% of MBChB students (using last year's numbers).

Maybe it's time to start watching some Scottish TV shows to get used to the accent. :wink:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Yes, it is pretty normal for English students to attend Glasgow Uni. You will not be an outcast at all. Glasgow is a very friendly and welcoming city and its medical school is world class. I doubt you will find the Glaswegian accent that much of an issue either. Especially at the university and the west end in general where the "Glasgow Uni accent" is widely spoken. Google it. However, in the event you might go further afield than the west end, watching Still Game will give you a crash course in stang terms and the Glaswegians sense of humour. Hurdy gurdy gurdy in the windae boxes.....
I'm slightly nervous about this too! I'm from Wales (but sadly I dont have the welsh accent even though im born and raised there) I'm glad im not the only one thinking about this. But im sure we'll be all good, there's so many people from all over the place, and we'll all fit in im sure. Have you firmed Glasgow then? (I have, im so excited!)
Original post by stressedhimani
I'm slightly nervous about this too! I'm from Wales (but sadly I dont have the welsh accent even though im born and raised there) I'm glad im not the only one thinking about this. But im sure we'll be all good, there's so many people from all over the place, and we'll all fit in im sure. Have you firmed Glasgow then? (I have, im so excited!)

Hi! Yes I've firmed Glasgow. What subject will you be studying? :smile:
You'll be fine, the council doesn't pay a bounty on Englander noses anymore.

Stingy ****s :frown:
Hi! Yes I've firmed Glasgow. What subject will you be studying? :smile:

I'm doing medicine! What about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending