The Student Room Group

How did people who got 7,8,9s revise for their gcse options?

Anyone who options:
- geography (eduqas/wjec)
- economics (ocr)
- triple science
- business (eduqas / wjec)

Core subjects:
- maths
- english lang
- english lit
Reply 1
Original post by paracqilo
Anyone who options:
- economics (ocr)
- triple science

Core subjects:
- maths
- english lang
- english lit

I did triple and made sure I understood all the content using flashcards and blurting.
Anyone who options:
- economics (ocr)
- triple science

Core subjects:
- maths
- english lang
- english lit

I didn't revise too much, just used a past paper or two and went over some content.

I had my own agenda other than GCSEs
Original post by justlearning1469
I didn't revise too much, just used a past paper or two and went over some content.

I had my own agenda other than GCSEs

what was it?
- english lit, practice your critical analysis skills, practice deciphering possible meanings, practice evaluation skills. i used to do this by getting random passages from the play/prose/book and try to analyse it. you want to find strong powerful words, techniques, hidden messages, etc. this will make sure you can actually do your questions right. after this, comes memorising some quotes. i would find 2-3 short quotes from each theme, and 1-2 longer quotes for this theme. i practiced analysing them, and answering theme questions using these memorised quotes. you don’t need to use 100 quotes for each essay, it’s more about how well you use those quotes. your writing and sophistication, SPAG, are more important in GCSE than memorising 100 quotes. if you memorise a small amount and you’ve practised answering questions, then you can practice writing better: imbedding quotes, using sophistication etc. i got an 8 for my english lit and only remembered maybe 20 quotes max or so.

- english lang: go on a random prompt generator and practice creatively writing. you can learn techniques, etc. alternatively if you really struggle with writing creatively, write a good story and memorise it’s core. then you can use this story for every single question, but change some things to make sure it fits. i never actually did my english language gcse because of covid so can’t help more there, but just practice creative writing, whether it’s through reading other peoples work, books or actually practicing describing things in a sophisticated way.
- maths, you can really only revise well by practice questions, learning things you don’t understand, knowing what you’re doing wrong on questions you get a wrong answer in.

i know this doesn’t answer your question fully, but hope some of what i said is a bit useful nevertheless
Anyone who options:
- economics (ocr)
- triple science

Core subjects:
- maths
- english lang
- english lit

I did all the core subjects, triple and geography out of those you listed, and got all A*’s.

For maths: Once you’re confident with the topics you’ve covered in class, just do loads of past papers. In the exam, 99% of the questions were variations on what I had already gone through while revising.

For triple: Make mind maps for all the different topics you’ve covered, revise them and use active recall to memorise. If you have a whiteboard, use it for active recall. Then, past papers.

English lang: Make sure you know how to structure your answers to each question. Then, time yourself doing practice papers. The hardest part is writing everything within the time limit.

English lit: Practice analysing and memorise as many quotes as possible.

Geography: Similar to the sciences, I made mind maps for each individual topic I covered, and memorised as much info as I could. I went through some past paper questions, but this wasn’t really helpful tbh.

For those subjects you have with wjec/eduqas, use the online question bank and their online resources.
Reply 6
Thank you all sm for the responses I Appreciate it a lot

Quick Reply

Latest