The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

durham uni

genuine question

why is durham so low internationally but high locally in the uk?
Original post by r/milk
genuine question

International ranking rates City Universities more than country ones and also focus on Research more.

St Andrews (which was ranked higher than Oxford in General Guardian Ranking this year) was also ranked as 151-200 internationally, just as Durham. Notice many of the city UK uni's rank very highly internationally, sometimes disproportionately.

For undergraduates, its better to look at the UK rankings as they are measuring for more relevant data for undergraduates and Global rankings may be better for post grad.
The Guardian rankings don't include 'research' which is why some like to reference it.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
International ranking rates City Universities more than country ones and also focus on Research more.

St Andrews (which was ranked higher than Oxford in General Guardian Ranking this year) was also ranked as 151-200 internationally, just as Durham. Notice many of the city UK uni's rank very highly internationally, sometimes disproportionately.

For undergraduates, its better to look at the UK rankings as they are measuring for more relevant data for undergraduates and Global rankings may be better for post grad.
The Guardian rankings don't include 'research' which is why some like to reference it.

heya, in many respects i don't think this 100% answers my question tbh - i just dont get what durham is doing wrong in QS
its not in a major city
Original post by r/milk
heya, in many respects i don't think this 100% answers my question tbh - i just dont get what durham is doing wrong in QS
Original post by r/milk
genuine question

Hi there

A fairly logical explanation that I can think of is that the bigger the comparison group, the more competition you have. England is only a tiny country in the world and there are many universities in the world at par or even better than Durham. This would consequently lead to a lower world ranking amongst loads of universities compared to a higher ranking amongst only a few.

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest