The Student Room Group

UCAS points for Oxford Chemistry

Oxford among other Unis just state A level grades of 3 subjects (or equivalent) as its entry requirement but I have just realised that the uni website shows applicant distributions of UCAS points. https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007774/F100/FullTime/ This stats tells 208-223 as average or just above average Do Uni and college look at UCAS points, too? Do most of the candidates do 4 X A level subjects to to achieve more than 200 point and/or EPQ?
Original post by Miki M
Oxford among other Unis just state A level grades of 3 subjects (or equivalent) as its entry requirement but I have just realised that the uni website shows applicant distributions of UCAS points. https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007774/F100/FullTime/ This stats tells 208-223 as average or just above average Do Uni and college look at UCAS points, too? Do most of the candidates do 4 X A level subjects to to achieve more than 200 point and/or EPQ?

Unless stated otherwise most universities will only consider your top 3 grades.
They'll probs state whether you have an advantage with a 4th subject or EPQ (Oxford generally does not - most people have extremely high A-level grades e.g. A*A*A*/A*A*A).

Even if they're entry requirements might be AAA, they'd expect students to get more and they can easily differentiate between the students who might get AAA or have the potential to get higher grades through the TSA/other exams and the rigorous interview process.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Unless stated otherwise most universities will only consider your top 3 grades.
They'll probs state whether you have an advantage with a 4th subject or EPQ (Oxford generally does not - most people have extremely high A-level grades e.g. A*A*A*/A*A*A).

Even if they're entry requirements might be AAA, they'd expect students to get more and they can easily differentiate between the students who might get AAA or have the potential to get higher grades through the TSA/other exams and the rigorous interview process.

Thank you. Didn't apply oxford this year as my school was tough for giving predicted grades (only A*AA) , but will it worth applying if my actual grades turn out to be good (3 x A*) on the result day? Should I do something extra (AS or EQP etc)?
Original post by Miki M
Thank you. Didn't apply oxford this year as my school was tough for giving predicted grades (only A*AA) , but will it worth applying if my actual grades turn out to be good (3 x A*) on the result day? Should I do something extra (AS or EQP etc)?

Don't think an extra AS or EPQ will help.
Just to point out Oxbridge historically tend not to prefer gap year students (you may very well get in - but they usually don't). You need a better reason to state why you did a gap year and how you made it worthwhile.
Original post by Miki M

UCAS points are entirely irrelevant to Oxford (and Cambridge). They care far more about whether you can reasonably get A*A*A with the A* grades in the right subjects.

Original post by Miki M

If your school simply does not predict A*’s in one of your subjects, your referee should note it and your application should still be considered.

As extra qualifications, I would advise against picking any up now, as you want to focus as much time as possible on your three A levels.

Original post by Anonymous
Don't think an extra AS or EPQ will help.
Just to point out Oxbridge historically tend not to prefer gap year students (you may very well get in - but they usually don't). You need a better reason to state why you did a gap year and how you made it worthwhile.

Definitely agree fully with the first two statements. You really don’t need to state why you took a gap year, though (I certainly didn’t in my PS and my reapplication to Oxford for chemistry was successful). But I do agree that you should definitely explain academically how you have made your gap year worthwhile.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Definitely agree fully with the first two statements. You really don’t need to state why you took a gap year, though (I certainly didn’t in my PS and my reapplication to Oxford for chemistry was successful). But I do agree that you should definitely explain academically how you have made your gap year worthwhile.

Might be why I got rejected from Cambridge then!
Reply 6
UCAS points are entirely irrelevant to Oxford (and Cambridge). They care far more about whether you can reasonably get A*A*A with the A* grades in the right subjects.

If your school simply does not predict A*’s in one of your subjects, your referee should note it and your application should still be considered.

As extra qualifications, I would advise against picking any up now, as you want to focus as much time as possible on your three A levels.

May I ask what you did for the gap year? What would you suggest? Although nothing is confirmed, I'm thinking to do some kind of paid jobs at Clinical Trial firm (for new medicines), or paid or unpaid jobs at a few commercial companies. Should I go to one of other unis which gave me an offer but apply oxford?
Original post by Miki M
May I ask what you did for the gap year? What would you suggest? Although nothing is confirmed, I'm thinking to do some kind of paid jobs at Clinical Trial firm (for new medicines), or paid or unpaid jobs at a few commercial companies. Should I go to one of other unis which gave me an offer but apply oxford?

During my gap year, I am taking some extra qualifications (A level further maths and AS biology) and I have offered mentoring in chemistry and maths at A level and below.

Getting a job is a perfectly viable alternative to taking further qualifications, especially since Oxford is an expensive area. If you can write about how your job taken during your gap year is academically relevant to the course you plan to study at Oxford, then excellent!

Oxford will flat out reject you if you apply whilst studying elsewhere- you either take a gap year and apply to Oxford or go to one of the other unis you have got an offer from this time.
Reply 8
During my gap year, I am taking some extra qualifications (A level further maths and AS biology) and I have offered mentoring in chemistry and maths at A level and below.

Getting a job is a perfectly viable alternative to taking further qualifications, especially since Oxford is an expensive area. If you can write about how your job taken during your gap year is academically relevant to the course you plan to study at Oxford, then excellent!

Oxford will flat out reject you if you apply whilst studying elsewhere- you either take a gap year and apply to Oxford or go to one of the other unis you have got an offer from this time.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending