The Student Room Group

Is Durham university respected/good?

basically- is Durham still respected overall?
(edited 7 months ago)
Yes, Durham is very much still respected. Academic standards and expectations are very higher. In fact, it’s one of the best universities for theology.

No degree is entirely useless. Most jobs require a degree in anything and Philosophy and Theology make a great foundation for law. Do it if it’s what you like. I can tell you first hand how terrible it is to study a subject you have no interest in just because of its job prospects.

I’m a Durham grad so feel free to ask any questions.
It is a solid Top 11 UK university in terms of respect and prestige.

I would put it in the 8th to 10th range.
Original post by arobrusker
Yes, Durham is very much still respected. Academic standards and expectations are very higher. In fact, it’s one of the best universities for theology.

No degree is entirely useless. Most jobs require a degree in anything and Philosophy and Theology make a great foundation for law. Do it if it’s what you like. I can tell you first hand how terrible it is to study a subject you have no interest in just because of its job prospects.

I’m a Durham grad so feel free to ask any questions.

intriguing (which college you in bro- not even there and feeling the second hand patriotism for Castle)
durham looks pretty cool, what degree did you do?
i really liked Oxford, and sort of planned the degree around it- im good at philosophy theology, this was mostly why i chose it. I like it and find it interesting, but mostly, its my solid one. I dont really know what to do for careers. Im doing psychology and eng lit as well as RS now. I cant do a STEM subject, ngl, they are ok, just boring (i got an A in GCSE maths, and holy marshmallows that was dull) and quite a few family friends do law- and that sounds cool, so im warm to that. Im not religious/intend to be, or intend to do any religious work and stuff- i just like academic analysis of Religion because its cool. As i said, law is interesting but im not solid enough on it to do the full degree.

im better than i was
but still fear ive hurt my future

I guess i am the budget Jack Edwards
It is 6th in the country and 8th for philosophy and 3rd for theology.
(edited 1 year ago)
I was at Josephine Butler and did Economics.

You haven’t destroyed your life by not getting into Oxford.

It’s okay to not know what to do. Like I said, most jobs require any degree and Durham is one of the best unis in the country. As long as you enjoy your degree, you’ll be fine. If you’re too unsure, it’s never too late to take a gap year.
Reply 6
Rather than wonder how you will be judged wearing a Durham tie, ask of Durham what the offer in terms of opportunities over and above your basic degree? Think along the lines of leadership development, study skills and pastoral support. These count for so much more than a label on a CV.
I'd like to think so and I'm entirely impartial on the subject.

It's legendary nightclub is very well respected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending