The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough v Nottingham for Architecture

Hello, my daughter has conditional offers for Architecture at both Loughborough and Nottingham and is trying to decide between them. She loved Loughborough from the start and was intending to firm them but they took 3 months after interview to make the offer and she has since warmed to Nottingham too. One of her concerns about Loughborough is it being a sleepy town rather than a city so I would appreciate feedback from current Loughborough students on what there is to do away from the campus, what is it like being a student there? She lives in a village so isn't desperate for city life but although she loves the course and campus, Loughborough itself wasn't very inspiring as a place when we looked around...we probably didn't discover all it has to offer during a quick walk around the town! Thank you xx
Hi there,

It's great to hear your daughter is considering studying at Loughborough! I'm currently in my first year here so it wasn't that long ago I was in a similar position as your daughter.

Choosing a university can be a really difficult decision especially when you have offers from two unis offering very different things. Before I came to Loughborough I too was worried about it being a small town and there not being much to do. However since I've been here I've been pleasantly surprised - I can safely say I've never been bored since I've been here. There are plenty restaurants and pubs in town to go out to eat and drink. Most of my time in the week is spent on campus as there is lots on like going to watch the Loughborough first teams play, playing sport and just relaxing with friends as well as the nights out the union puts on in the week but at the weekend you do tend to go out in town more. Loughborough is however a market town and can't offer what a city can but usually if we want more of a city atmosphere we just get the train to Leicester or Nottingham which both take less than 20 minutes and is very easy to do. The thing I appreciate about Loughborough being a smaller town is that there is a nice community feel and it really does feel like a student town. When you go out you always bump into someone you know which I've found really nice and it makes you feel safe and like the campus extends to the town.

The most important thing for your daughter is to choose a uni where she can picture herself living, studying and being happy as she can't really make a wrong decision with either of these unis!

I hope this helped and if you have any more questions just let us know :smile:

Jess
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi there,

It's great to hear your daughter is considering studying at Loughborough! I'm currently in my first year here so it wasn't that long ago I was in a similar position as your daughter.

Choosing a university can be a really difficult decision especially when you have offers from two unis offering very different things. Before I came to Loughborough I too was worried about it being a small town and there not being much to do. However since I've been here I've been pleasantly surprised - I can safely say I've never been bored since I've been here. There are plenty restaurants and pubs in town to go out to eat and drink. Most of my time in the week is spent on campus as there is lots on like going to watch the Loughborough first teams play, playing sport and just relaxing with friends as well as the nights out the union puts on in the week but at the weekend you do tend to go out in town more. Loughborough is however a market town and can't offer what a city can but usually if we want more of a city atmosphere we just get the train to Leicester or Nottingham which both take less than 20 minutes and is very easy to do. The thing I appreciate about Loughborough being a smaller town is that there is a nice community feel and it really does feel like a student town. When you go out you always bump into someone you know which I've found really nice and it makes you feel safe and like the campus extends to the town.

The most important thing for your daughter is to choose a uni where she can picture herself living, studying and being happy as she can't really make a wrong decision with either of these unis!

I hope this helped and if you have any more questions just let us know :smile:

Jess

Hi Jess,
Thanks so much for your reply which is really helpful. It is a big decision to make but great to hear from a current student's point of view. I've told her to go with her heart...that's what I did years ago when I decided where to study. It's reassuring to know that there is a community feel to the town. The campus is amazing and at the end of the day once you meet new friends it's about those experiences together and memories wherever you are. Thanks again and best of luck with your studies. 😊 Emma x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending